The WWF World Championship is vacated but a new champion is crowned at the Rumble. A Dead Man has feelings, apparently. Plus, there is a title change at a house show. All this plus more!
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: vacant)
Due to the controversy surrounding the WWF World Championship to close last year, WWF President decided to vacate the championship. He made the 1992 Royal Rumble match the contest where the last person standing in the ring would be the WWF World Champion. This was the first time the WWF World Championship was decided in a battle royal.
At the Royal Rumble, Ric Flair was able to win the vacant WWF World Championship after entering third in the match. Flair won the match after Hulk Hogan helped Flair eliminate Sid Justice from the floor.
Flair would team with the Undertaker on January 27th for the taping of SNME #30 to take on Sid Justice and Hulk Hogan. Flair and Undertaker would lose the match by disqualification even with Justice turning on Hogan after he left the ringside area still complaining about what happened at the Rumble.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Bret Hart)
On January 17th in Springfield, MA the Mountie was able to win his first and only WWF singles championship when he pinned Bret Hart with an inside cradle. The angle was that Bret was suffering from the flu and Mountie was able to take advantage of the sickness to win the championship.
Two days later at the Royal Rumble Mountie would drop the championship to Roddy Piper after being trapped in the sleeper hold. This would mark Piper’s first and only WWF singles championship as well.
Mountie got a rematch at SNME #30 which was taped on January 27th. Piper was able to retain the championship after using Mountie’s own shock stick.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Legion of Doom)
The champs continued their feud with the Natural Disasters at the Royal Rumble where the Disasters were able to beat LOD by count-out. After the match, Hawk and Animal attacked the challengers with steel chairs leading many to believe the feud would continue.
- Marty Jannetty was suspended by the WWF on January 25th after he was arrested by police for having possession of cocaine. Jannetty wouldn’t be seen in the WWF for nearly a year.
- Randy Savage finished his feud with Jake Roberts at SNME #30 where Savage was able to get another victory over Roberts. Roberts attempted to hit Elizabeth with a steel chair as she and Savage made their way backstage. However, the Undertaker prevented him from doing so. This would mark the face turn for the Undertaker.
- Jake Roberts would begin a feud with the Undertaker during the January 28th taping of Wrestling Challenge. Roberts was a guest on the Funeral Parlor when he asked if Taker was with him or against him. Taker made it clear that he was no longer associated with Roberts. This would lead to Roberts trapping Taker’s hand in a coffin and whacked him over the back with a series of chair shots. Roberts would also plant Paul Bearer with a DDT.
- Sensational Sherri revealed during a taping of WWF Superstars that she had found the man she was in love with. It wasn’t Ted DiBiase but rather Shawn Michaels. She also revealed that Ted DiBiase gave his blessing to her and would welcome her back anytime.
- Speaking of DiBiase, he started to tag with IRS on a regular basis. They would be known as Money Inc.
SNME #30: 8.2
Royal Rumble 1992: 1.8
Check out more of Bob’s writing at: http://wrestlingrecaps.com