[Billy Graham GALLERY]
- NWA (San Francisco) World Tag Team titles w/Pat Patterson defeating Peter Maivia & Ray Stevens (January 1971);
- NWA Hawaii Heavyweight title defeating Ed Francis (January 9, 1974);
- IWA (Japan) World Heavyweight title defeating Billy Robinson (August 16, 1974);
- NWA Texas Brass Knuckles title defeating Mad Dog Vachon (August 5, 1975);
- NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Dusty Rhodes (November 22, 1976);
- NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Dusty Rhodes (1977);
- NWA Florida Tag Team titles w/Ox Baker defeating Jack & Jerry Brisco (1977);
- WWWF Heavyweight title defeating Bruno Sammartino (April 30, 1977);
- NWA Texas Brass Knuckles title defeating Mark Lewin (1978);
- CWA (Memphis) World Heavyweight title defeating Pat McGinnis (October 8, 1979);
- NWA Texas Brass Knuckles title defeating Mark Lewin (January 18, 1980);
- NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Billy Jack Haynes (June 10, 1984);
In The Beginning
- Wayne Coleman became a devoted Christian as a teenager.
- Wayne Coleman won numerous bodybuilding titles as a teenager.
- Wayne Coleman would use his feats of strength as a tool to draw people into his evangelistic meetings.
- Wayne Coleman played pro football for nearly three years with the Houston Oilers & Oakland Raiders before starting wrestling.
- Wayne Coleman appeared as a guest on the Truth Or Consequences program hosted by Bob Barker in the late 1960s.
Getting Into The Business
- Wayne Coleman was recruited by Stu Hart into Stampede Wrestling when he was being scouted by the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders.
- Wayne Coleman move onto the San Fansisco territory, and became “Billy Graham” in dedication to the world renowned evangelist.
Championship Wrestling from Florida
- Billy Graham ended up in Florida as the youngest “brother” in the famous Graham wrestling “family”(with Eddie, Jerry & Luke).
American Wrestling Association
- Billy Graham made a huge impact on the sport when he gave AWA World Heavyweight Champion Verne Gagne a serious run for his money..
- 1974: Billy Graham won the NWA Hawaiian Heavyweight title..
Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling
- October 1975: Billy Graham competed in the Mid-Atlantic territory of the NWA for several months..
- ~~~While in MACW, Graham feuded with Wahoo McDaniel and briefly teamed with Steve Strong..
Championship Wrestling from Florida
- 1976: Billy Graham defeated Dusty Rhodes to win the NWA Florida Heavyweight title..
- Billy Graham won the NWA Florida Tag Team titles with Ox Baker..
- 1977: Billy Graham defeated Dusty Rhodes to win the Southern Heavyweight Championship..
World Wide Wrestling Federation
- Billy Graham went to the WWWF where he was managed by The Grand Wizard..
- March 30, 1977: Billy Graham defeated Bruno Sammartino to capture the World Wide Wrestling Federation title!
- ~~~Billy Graham faced every worthy challenger in the WWWF during his reign as champion..
- ~~~Defeated Sammartino, Rhodes, Putski, Strongbow, Monsoon, Zbyszko, Garea, Mascaras & Backlund and many others..
- 1977: Billy Graham battled Harley Race in the first ever NWA vs WWWF World Title Unification match..
- ~~~The two World champions for rival promotions wrestled to a bloody one-hour time limit draw..
- February 2, 1978: Bob Backlund defeated Billy Graham to win the WWWF World Heavyweight title..
- WORTHLESS TRIVIA: Billy Graham the only WWF champion to both win and lose the title with his feet on the ropes..
- Billy Graham teamed briefly with his “half-brother” Crazy Luke Graham, and also Ivan Koloff, having great success with both..
- Billy Graham continued his legendary feud with Dusty Rhodes in the WWWF..
- Billy Graham defeated Dusty Rhodes in a classic Texas Bullrope Match..
- Billy Graham left the WWWF shortly after..
- 1980: Billy Graham appeared on CBS’s “The World’s Strongest Man” competition..
- Billy Graham made a few scattered appearances in Memphis to face Jerry Lawler in matches..
- Rumors began to spread that Billy Graham had died — which obviously turned out to be FALSE..
- Billy Graham worked a series of matches on the Phoenix indy circuit gearing up for his WWF return..
- ~~~In his final match, as a going away present, he put their top man, Jody Arnold, over in two straight falls..
Back in the World Wrestling Federation
- 1983: “Superstar” Billy Graham (with a new bald look) reappeared on WWF television and confronted Bob Backlund..
- ~~~Graham then proceeded to take the leather and gold WWF title belt and literally tear it in half!
- ~~~Graham left the WWF again soon after..
The AWA & Floria Return
- Billy Graham wrestled briefly in Verne Gagne’s American Wrestling Association..
- Billy Graham would eventually resurface back in Florida territory..
- June 10, 1984: Superstar Billy Graham defeated Billy Jack for the Florida State Heavyweight title..
- November 22, 1984 – Starrcade: Wahoo McDaniel defeated Billy Graham to retain the United States title..
- July 6, 1985 – Great American Bash: Manny Fernandez & Sam Houston & Buzz Tyler beat Billy Graham & Barbarian & Abdulah..
- November 28, 1985 – Starrcade: Billy Graham defeated the Barbarian in an Arm Wrestling match..
Last Run in the WWF
- Summer 1987: Billy Graham once again jumped to the World Wrestling Federation for one last run..
- Billy Graham won his first match back (WWF “Superstars”) in a squash against Bob Bradley..
- Billy Graham was immediately challenged by “The Natural” Butch Reed, who claimed that he had the better physique..
- ~~~This led to a posedown on WWF TV that resulted in both Reed and his manager Slick attacking Graham!
- 1987: The years of steroid use had finally taken their toll on Billy Graham’s body..
- ~~~Some of Graham’s skeletal structure was eaten away and died, most affected area was his hip..
- ~~~Graham actually wrestled with a severely damaged hip during this last WWF stint..
- ~~~Graham was told by doctors that he required hip-replacement surgery..
- Fall 1997: Graham vs Butch Reed ended when Slick & One Man Gang interfered and they demolished Graham..
- ~~~Luckily, Don “The Rock” Muraco came to Billy Graham’s rescue..
- Billy Graham underwent his hip-replacement surgery knowing it would end his wrestling career..
Billy Graham the Manager
- Billy Graham became the manager for Don “The Rock” Muraco..
- Summerslam 1988: Billy Graham’s last big WWF appearance where he provided colour commentary from ringside..
- Billy Graham left the World Wrestling Federation for the last time (until 2004 when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame)..
Legacy of the Superstar
- Graham influenced many wrestlers including Austin Idol, Steve Strong, Jesse Ventura, Hulk Hogan, Scott Steiner & Flesh Gordon..
- Billy Graham now speaks out against drug and alcohol abuse..
- Billy Graham also helps point people to the benefits of a personal relationship with God..
- 1996: Billy Graham’s Christian play, “The Empty Ring”, debuted at Tommy Barnett’s church in the suburbs of Phoenix..
- Famous Quote: “I’m the man of the hour, the man with the power, too sweet to be sour!”
Billy Graham’s Battle
- January 2, 2002 – Billy Graham has made a remarkable recovery after suffering four burst veins stemming from advanced liver disease..
- ~~~This sort of occurance could have been fatal..
- ~~~Graham underwent several blood transfusions during the day as he had lost so much blood..
- ~~~Due to a lack of circulation, he was in danger of losing his extremities..
- ~~~Graham’s internal bleeding has stopped and they are hopeful he will be able to get out of intensive care unit..
- ~~~Graham was hospitalized with internal bleeding for ten days about one month ago..
- ~~~Graham first learned that he would be needing a liver transplant a month ago..
- ~~~However, he didn’t learn until the last few days of the severity of the liver damage..
- October 2002 – Billy Graham’s liver was checked out yesterday and he does not have the feared liver cancer..
- ~~~Graham is also in line for a liver donation that would potentially save his life.
- October 18, 2002: Billy Graham underwent a successful liver replacement operation at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.
- ~~~Graham was called in earlier that day with word that they had found a liver from a woman who had died in an accident..
- ~~~Doctors have said his recovery after surgery considering all his health problems has been amazing..
- Billy Graham has reached a deal with Vince McMahon to publish his autobiography with Simon & Schuster..
- March 12, 2004: Billy Graham was hospitalized in New York with the same intestinal ailment that had him hospitalized a month back..
- ~~~Billy Graham’s intestine began poking out of his stomach, in an “Alien” type fashion..
- March 13, 2004 – WWE: Billy “Superstar” Graham is inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame during a ceremony in New York City!
- March 14, 2004 – Wrestlemania XX: Billy “Superstar” Graham is honored with all the other Hall of Fame inductees during the PPV..
- December 28, 2004 – WWE Live Event: “Superstar” Billy Graham appears for a live interview and knocks the Coach out cold!
- February 25, 2005–Live Event @ MSG: The Coach interviews Superstar Billy Graham, who knocks the Coach on his ass!
- February 28, 2005 – RAW: Superstar Billy Graham encourages Randy Orton to step up and do something to set himself apart..
- October 3, 2005 – WWE Homecoming: Billy Graham participated in a Legends Ceremony which included roughly 24 Legends..
- January 23, 2006 – RAW: Superstar Billy Graham made a brief appearance to promote his book AND dvd..
- May 28, 2006: Billy Graham was hospitalized for several days due to a bowel obstruction that stems from a prior operation..
- Superstar Graham announced that he has less than one year left to live after his transplanted liver started to show signs of failure.