- Jim “The Black Panther” Mitchell was a popular wrestler said to be from Louisville, KY, as well as several other locations.
- Jim Mitchell began wrestling in the late 1930s. He was a regular in Southern California.
- Jim Mitchell was the first African American in modern professional wrestling.
- During the initial years of his career, Jim Mitchell wore a mask and kid gloves, and he was only allowed to wrestle Japanese and Hindu wrestlers. He did away with the mask in the 1940s.
- In 1949, Jim Mitchell fought against Gorgeous George and was declared the loser. There were audience members who felt that Gorgeous George had delivered cheap shots and bad sportsmanship, and a riot erupted at the Olympic Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles. A rematch was attempted in the early 1950s.
- Jim Mitchell continue to wrestle until about 1955, he is listed among the greatest top ten Black Wrestlers.
Read an article about Jim Mitchell here!