Check out Bob Backlund’s WWE Alumni profile here!
- NCAA Amateur champion;
- NWA (Georgia) Tag Team titles w/Jerry Brisco defeating Toru Tanaka & Mr. Fuji (October 1975);
- NWA (Missouri) Heavyweight title defeating Harley Race (April 23, 1976);
- NWA (Florida) Tag Team titles w/Steve Keirn defeating Bob Orton Sr. & Bob Roop (1976);
- WWWF World Heavyweight title defeating “Superstar” Billy Graham (February 20, 1978);
- WWWF Tag Team titles w/Pedro Morales defeating The Wild Samoans (August 9, 1980);
- WWF Federation title defeating Bret “Hitman” Hart (November 23, 1994);
Bob Backlund Career Highlights
In The Beginning:
- 1973: Bob Backlund debuted in the Minneappolis-based American Wrestling Association..
- 1975: Bob Backlund move onto the National Wrestling Alliance, were teamed with Jerry Brisco to win the NWA Georgia tag titles..
- 1976: Bob Backlund joined forces with Steve Keirn and won the NWA Florida tag titles..
- 1976: Bob Backlund wrestled throughout the Midwestern United States held the NWA Missouri Heavyweight title..
World Wide Wrestling Federation:
- 1978: Bob Backlund entered the World Wide Wrestling Federation and was managed by Arnold Scaaland..
- February 20, 1978: Bob Backlund defeated “Superstar” Billy Graham to win the WWWF World Heavyweight title..
- 1979: Bob Backlund travelled to Japan to defend the WWWF World title against the legendary Antonio Inoki..
- ~~~Inoki shocked the world by defeating Backlund for the title but refused to accept the Championship..
- August 9, 1980–Showdown at Shae: Bob Backlund & Pedro Morales defeated The Wild Samoans to win the WWF Tag Team Titles!
- September 22, 1980–WWF/NWA Title Unification: Bob Backlund defeated Harley Race by DQ (DQ means no titles change hands).
- July 4, 1982: WWF World Champion Bob Backlund battled NWA World Champion Ric Flair to a Double DQ at the Omni in Atlanta..
- December 26, 1983: The Iron Sheik defeated Bob Backlund for the WWF title when Arnold Scaaland (manager) threw in the towel..
- January 1984: Bob Backlund left the World Wrestling Federation shortly after and disappeared from the spotlight..
World Wrestling Federation:
- 1993: Bob Backlund made his inspirational return to the WWF as a mid-card babyface..
- January 24, 1993 – Royal Rumble: Bob Backlund entered the Royal Rumble at #2 and lasted over an hour!
- January 25, 1993 RAW: Bob Backlund cut a promo about Headlock on Hunger.
- February 15, 1993 RAW: Bob Backlund competed in a battle royal which won by Razor Ramon.
- March 8, 1993 RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Papa Shango.
- April 4, 1993 – Wrestlemania IX: Razor Ramon (Scott Hall) defeated Bob Backlund..
- April 5, 1993 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Kim Chee..
- April 11, 1993 – UK Rampage: Bob Backlund defeated Damian Demento…
- May 3, 1993 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Duane Gill..
- October 4, 1993 – Monday Night RAW: Bob backlund participated in a Battle Royal…
- November 8, 1993 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund vs Barry Horowitz ended in a No Contest..
- January 22, 1994 – Royal Rumble: Bob Backlund entered the Royal Rumble at #8 but was eliminated by Diesel in 2 minutes..
World Wrestling Federation – Crazy Heel:
- Bob Backlund challenged Bret Hart to a WWF title match, after Hart won, Backlund snapped and turned heel!
- August 8, 1994 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Kevin Krueger by Submission..
- October 3, 1994 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Gary Scott by Submission..
- October 31, 1994 – Monday Night RAW: Lex Luger defeated Bob Backlund by Disqualification..
- November 14, 1994 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated The 1-2-3 Kid by Submission…
- November 21, 1994 RAW: Razor Ramon vs. Diesel ended in a Double Disqualification..
- ~~~Shawn Michaels, Bob Backlund, Owen Hart, Jeff Jarrett and others interfered in the match..
- November 23, 1994 – Survivor Series: Bob Backlund defeated Bret Hart to win the WWF Heavyweight title..
- ~~~Backlund’s cornerman, Owen Hart, tricked his own mother (also Bret’s mother) to throw in the towel..
- November 26, 1994 – MSG House Show: Diesel defeated Bob Backlund in 8 seconds to win the WWF Title!!
- December 12, 1994 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Doink the Clown by Submission……
- March 6, 1995 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Buck Quartermaine by Submission…
- April 2, 1995 – Wrestlemania XI: Bret “Hitman” Hart defeated Bob Backlund in an “I Quit” match..
- December 11, 1995 – Monday Night RAW: Bob Backlund defeated Bret Hart by Disqualification..
World Wrestling Federation – Semi-Retirement:
- 1996: Bob Backlund briefly returned as the co-manager of The Sultan (aka Rikishi)..
- 1999: Bob Backlund made a very brief return as a mentor to Kurt Angle, but that storyline was scrapped..
- January 23, 2000 – Royal Rumble: Bob Backlund entered the Rumble at #14 and was eliminated by Chris Jericho.
- March 2006: Bob Backlund signed for a WWE Classic Superstars action figure.
Total Nonstop Action:
- January 14, 2007 – TNA Final Resolution: Bob Backlund appeared as a guest “judge” for Kevin Nash’s PCS Challenge Series Finale..
- January-February 2007: Mr. Bob Backlund had a minor roll on several editions of TNA iMPACT, Thursday Nights on Spike TV..
- February 12, 2007 – TNA Against All Odds: Senshi defeated “THE” Austin Starr (Bob Backlund put Starr in the Cross-face Chickenwing!)..
- Februar-March 2007: Mr. Bob Backlund continued to appear on iMPACT building up a small feud with “THE” Austin Starr..
- March 11, 2007 – TNA Destination-X: Senshi defeated “THE” Austin Starr in a “Cross-Face-Chicken-Wing” match..
- ~~~Austin Starr attacked Mr. Bob Backlund after the match and applied the Cross-face Chicken-wing on him!
- March 29, 2007 – TNA iMPACT: Mr. Bob Backlund was out in the arena working out during the entire 1-hour program..
- April 5, 2007 – TNA iMPACT: Austin Starr defeated Senshi in a Submissions match when Bob Backlund threw in the towel!
- ~~~After the match: Bob Backlund put Austin Starr in the Crossface and Senshi was mad Backlund for throwing in the towel..
- April 15, 2007 – TNA Lockdown: Senshi defeated Austin Starr in a Steel Cage with Mr. Bob Backlund as the referee..
- April 26, 2007 – TNA iMPACT: Alex Shelley lured Mr. Backlund into the park where Chris Sabin attacked him and stole his book..
- May 10, 2007 – TNA iMPACT: Bob Backlund ran down and scoop slammed Alex Shelley and gave Chris Sabin the Atomic Drop!
- May 17, 2007 – TNA iMPACT: Bob Backlund confronted Shelley & Sabin but was attacked, then saved by Jay Lethal & Sonjay Dutt..
- June 17, 2007 – TNA Slammiversary: Mr. Bob Backlund (57 years old) defeated Alex Shelley despite interference from Chris Sabin..
- ~~~Backlund man-handled both Sabin & Shelley – Kevin Nash came down – Jerry Lynn came down – Jay Lethal made the save!
- July 12, 2007 – TNA iMPACT: Mr. Backlund & Jerry Lynn vs. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin had an Oldschool vs. Newschool debate..
- July 15, 2007 – TNA Victory Road: Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) beat Mr. Backlund & Jerry Lynn..
- December 10, 2007–RAW 15th Anniversary: Bob Backlund participated in a special Battle Royal featuring past RAW Super Stars!
- January 21, 2013–RAW: Bob Backlund is announced as an inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame. The ceremony will take place the night before Wrestlemania 29 this April in Madison Square Garden.
Kendra Bunyon wrote: Over the past couple months (Summer 2009) Bob Backlund has been appearing on NWA On Fire (Maine). Wikipedia has Backlund listed as a promoter for the NWA territory, but I am not sure how accurate that is as I found nothing about it on their actual website. Though their site is kayfabe.
Dr. Steven M. Lipson wrote: I remember Bob backlund’s career well under the Vince McMahan organization. backlund was the all-American type of wrestler. He couldn’t speak well during the interviews.but he made up for his dull character by his great technical skills in the ring. backlund wouldn’t play the game to extend his career. McMahan saw that the fans started looking at Bankjland as dull, but Bob wouldn’t change. Perhaps he had no ability to put on a heel alter ego. When McMahan finally severered all ties with Bankland. backlund went to competitor prowrestling groups (I nelieve the then WCW was one at them). I actually heard Backiland say in an interview segment , “They took the title from me.” I couldn’t believe what I heard. I’m sure this statement spread throughout the country among the few wrestling promoters. I’m sure this statement was the final nail to the coffin. backlund’s return as a heel to McMahan’s promotion was just insulting (to backlund and to the fans). The fans had great memories of Backand as a great champion for 5 years. His comeback made the old time fans and the new generation of fans look at backlund as a lunatic. I wish backlund all the luck in his work in Conn. and his move into local politics.