Check out Gene Okerlund’s WWE Alumni profile here!
American Wrestling Association:
World Wrestling Federation:
- 1984: Vince McMahon Jr raided the AWA signed up such names as Mean Gene, Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan.
- Mean Gene’s role increased dramatically and became one of the most recognizable faces (and voices) in wrestling.
- March 31, 1985 – WrestleMania I: Mean Gene Okerlund sang the Star Spangled Banner!
- Mean Gene once teamed with Hulk Hogan to defeat Mr. Fuji and George “The Animal” Steele in Madison Square Garden.
- Mean Gene hosted many WWF Madison Square Garden cards alongside the late Gorilla Monsoon.
- Mean Gene also hosted WWF TV programs such as WWF All American Wrestling with Bobby Heenan.
- Mean Gene also hosted numerous WWF Coliseum Home Video tapes.
- Mean Gene was most often seen on a WWF Superstars of Wrestling segments the “Event Center” and “Update”.
- Mean Gene formed a strong on-air partnership with both Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon, who became close personal friends.
- SummerSlam 1993: Mean Gene Okerlund’s last pay per view with the company and is phased out and replaced by Joe Fowler.
- Mean Gene jumped to World Championship Wrestlingafter nine long years inthe WWF.
World Championship Wrestling:
- September 1993: Mean Gene debut in WCW and is immediately pushed as WCWs top interviewer.
- Mean Gene hosted the WCW Hotline every week and delivered plugs (teasers) during every WCW Television program.
- 1999: Mean Gene aligned himself with the Millionaires Club and feuded with fellow interiewer Pamela Paulshock of the New Blood.
- 2000: Mean Gene started a feud with new Nitro announcer Mark Madden, and even has a match with him on Nitro.
- August 9, 2000 – Thunder: Buff Bagwell and Gene Okerlund defeated Mark Madden and Positively Kanyon.
- August 16, 2000 – Thunder: Gene Okerlund defeated Mark Madden in a street fight.
- Mean Gene remained with WCW until it was sold to Vince McMahon and the WWFe.
World Wrestling Entertainment:
- WrestleMania X-7: Mean Gene Okerlund & Bobby Heenan made appearances as guest commentators for the Gimmick Battle Royal.
- May 2002: Mean Gene Okerlund returns to the WWE to host it’s new show WWE Confidential.
- March 2003: Mean Gene renewed his contract expanding his duties from Confidential to again becoming a backstage interviewer.
- March 2004: Mean Gene Okerlund hosts the WWE’s 2004 Hall of Fame Ceremony in New York City.
- September 2004: Mean Gene Okerlund is in dire need of a kidney donation.
- ~~~UPDATE: Gene Okerlund’s operation is a success.
- 2005: Mean Gene Okerlund hosts WWE 24/7’s Hall of Fame program.
- April 2, 2005 – Hall of Fame Ceremony: Mean Gene Okerlund hosted the 2005 Hall of Fame ceremony in Los Angeles, California.
- April 3, 2005 – WrestleMania XXI: Mean Gene Okerlund introduced the 2005 Hall of Fame Iductees to the live crowd.
- April 25, 2005 – RAW: Mean Gene interviews Shawn Michaels & Hulk Hogan about their upcoming tag match on PPV.
- October 3, 2005 – WWE Homecoming: Mean Gene Okerland interviewed Hulk Hogan in the ring as Hogan challenged Steve Austin!
- February 27, 2006 – RAW: They announced that Mean Gene Okerland would be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on April 1.
- April 1, 2006: Mean Gene Okerland was officially inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame by his buddy Hulk Hogan..
- June 11, 2007 – Vince McMahon Appreciation Night: Mean Gene Okerland made unscripted comments on Mr. McMahon.
- ~~~Later that night: Mr. Vince McMahon exited the building and got into his private limousine just before it exploded into flames!
- April 4, 2009 – WWE Hall of Fame: Howard Finkel was officially inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame by Mean Gene Okerland!.
- March 28, 2010 – WrestleMania 26: Mean Gene had a brief cameo doing a comedy sketch with Santino Marella plugging Slim Jim!
- June 7, 2010 – WWE Viewer’s Choice: Mean Gene Okerland made a brief cameo for a backstage skit and he was hilarious as usual.
- November 15, 2010 – WWE : Mean Gene Okerland returned to reprise his role as on stage interviewer for a special “Old School RAW”.
- April 10, 2012 – SmackDown: World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus and Mean Gene Okerlund defeated Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio.