Check out Giant Gonzales’s WWE Alumni profile here!
In The Beginning:
- 1985: Jorge Gonzales appeared in the movie “Delivery Boys” with a very small roll..
- Jorge Gonzales competed in the 1988 Olympic Games on the Argentina Basketball team but did not place..
- Jorge Gonzales was drafted by the Turner-owned Atlanta Hawks, but couldn’t handle the speed of the NBA..
World Championship Wrestling – El Gigante:
- Jorge Gonzales was offered a job in WCW (Also owned by Ted Turner) and became a wrestler known as “El Gigante”..
- July 7, 1990 – G.A.B: Paul Orndorff & El Gigante & Junk Yard Dog beat Sid Vicious & Arn Anderson & Barry Windham by disqualification.
- March 21, 1991 – WCW/NJ Supershow: El Gigante defeated Curtis Hughes via submission..
- May 19, 1991 – SuperBrawl: El Gigante defeated Sid Vicious in a “stretcher” match..
- June 12, 1991 – Clash of the Champions 15: Barry Windham & Arn Anderson defeated Brian Pillman & El Gigante in a “Loser leaves town” match..
- June 30, 1991 – WCW House Show: El Gigante defeated Arn Anderson.
- July 14, 1991 – Great American Bash: El Gigante defeated the One Man Gang..
- July 20, 1991 – Worldwide: El Gigante defeated Carl Nelson.
- September 5, 1991–WCW Clash of Champions: El Gigante won a Battle Royal.
- October 27, 1991 – Havoc: El Gigante, Sting & The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) defeated Abdullah The Butcher, Big Van Vader, Cactus Jack & The Diamond Studd in a “Chamber of Horrors” match..
- December 29, 1991 – Starrcade: Richard Morton & Dustin Rhodes defeated Larry Zbysko & El Gigante in “Lethal Lottery”..
- January 4, 1992 – WCW/NJ Supershow II: Big Van Vader and El Gigante fought to a double disqualification..
- January 25, 1992 – WCW House Show: El Gigante defeated Cactus Jack.
World Wrestling Federation – Giant Gonzales:
- Jorge Gonzales jumped to the WWF, wrestling as “Giant Gonzales”, managed by Harvey Wippleman, and feuded with the Undertaker..
- Giant Gonzales appeared on an episode of Baywatch wearing his “Giant Gonzales” outfit, to help improve his english speaking skills..
- January 24, 1993 – Royal Rumble: Giant Gonzales (unscheduled) appeared and eliminated the Undertaker from the Royal Rumble match!
- February 13, 1993 – Superstars: Giant Gonzalez defeated Dan Farren, Louie Spicolli & Scott Bazo in a handicap match.
- March 22, 1993 – RAW: Giant Gonzalez defeated Kamala in a dark match.
- April 3, 1993 – Superstars: Giant Gonzalez defeated Virgil.
- April 4, 1993 – WrestleMania 9: The Undertaker defeated Giant Gonzales by DQ when he used Chloroform to knock Undertaker out!
- April 19, 1993–Monday Night RAW: Giant Gonzalez defeated L.A. Gore.
- May 15, 1993–Superstars: Tatanka defeated Giant Gonzalez by disqualification to qualify for the King of the Ring tournament.
- June 14, 1993–RAW: The Undertaker defeated PJ Walker (After the match Gonzalez & Mr. Hughes demolished the Undertaker).
- August 29, 1993 – USWA: Giant Gonzalez defeated The Vampire Warrior.
- August 30, 1993 – SummerSlam: The Undertaker defeated Giant Gonzalez w/Harvey Wippleman to regain possession of the urn!
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~After the match, Giant Gonzales fired Harvey Wippleman as his manager!
- September 9, 1993–USWA: Jeff Jarrett defeated Giant Gonzalez to retain the heavyweight title.
- October 4, 1993–RAW: Giant Gonzalez competed in a battle royal to determine the new Intercontinental Champion..
- Late October 1993: Giant Gonzalez left the World Wrestling Federation.
New Japan Pro Wrestling:
- 1993: Jorge Gonzales appeared in Hulk Hogan’s series “Thunder in Paradise” and “Thunder in Paradise II” as “Mortador”..
- September 28, 1994–New Japan Pro Wrestling: El Gigante & Black Tiger II defeated Samurai & Yasuda & Ishizawa.
- February 8, 1995–New Japan Pro Wrestling: The Great Muta defeated El Gigante
- ~~~After the match, El Gigante announced he was retiring from professional wrestling due to ill heath..
- 1994: Jorge Gonzales played in the movie “Hercules In The Underworld” as one of the main villains “Eryz The Boxer”..
- 2000: Jorge Gonzeles was credited by Guinness World Records as the World’s Tallest Professional Wrestler at 7’6″..
- ~~~Although Max Palmer (who wrestled as Paul Bunyan and died in 1984) was 7’7″ (up to 8’2″)..
- September 22, 2010: Jorge “Giant” Gonzalez passed away at the age of 44 due to complications of diabetes in San Martin, Argentina.
Dave Meltzer wrote: Jorge “Giant” Gonzalez, a former member of the Argentina Olympic basketball team in the 1988 Olympics, who wrestled as a headliner for WCW and WWF from 1990-93, passed away in a hospital in San Martin, Argentina. Gonzalez was 44. Gonzalez, who was a legitimate 7-6 1/2 and 405 pounds, was first drafted by the Atlanta Hawks, but was considered too slow to play in the NBA. Jim Herd and Jim Ross spearheaded the Turner organization to sign him to a wrestling contract, where he used the name El Gigante, with the idea of creating a next generation Andre the Giant, as Gonzalez was more than eight inches taller than Andre and a better athlete. But he never fully grasped wrestling and only lasted two years before his big-money contract wasn’t renewed. He was a headliner most of his run. WWF brought him in shortly after, billing him as “the eight foot Giant Gonzalez.” He was given a similar push as Great Khali, first overpowering Undertaker before a blow-off match at WrestleMania. He put Undertaker over at house shows for the rest of the summer and was done with the company at that point. He wrestled a few times after that outside North America. In recent years he had been wheelchair bound due to the effects of a long battle with diabetes.