- Joint Promotions British Heavyweight title defeating Tony St. Clair (November 23, 1978);
- Stampede International Tag Team titles (as Loch Ness Monster) w/Dynamite Kid defeating Bret & Keith Hart (March ??, 1980);
- British Wrestling Federation European Heavyweight title defeating Pat Roach (February 6, 1990);
In The Beginning:
- Martin Ruane’s family originated from county mayo in Ireland and wanted him to become some sort of musician..
- Martin Ruane’s parents, who came from Ireland, soon moved north to Salford in Manchester, which was to remain Ruane’s home.
- Martin Ruane’s mountainous size meant that he was tormented as a child but he soon learnt to defend himself.
- Martin Ruane worked as a labourer, building motorways, and as a nightclub bouncer before a friend suggested he take up wrestling..
- Martin Ruane reputedly ate 3 lbs of bacon, 12 eggs every morning to maintain his strength, and flew all over the World..British Wrestling Legend:
- Giant Haystacks wrestled in such places as England, USA, Canada, India and Zimbabwe amung others…
- Giant Haystacks wrestled in Calgary for Stu Hart’s Stampede as “Loch Ness” and was managed by J.R. Foley..
- Among his friends was Sir Paul McCartney who asked Haystacks to be in his 1984 film, “Give My Regards To Broad Street”
- Martin Ruane invested, unsuccessfully, in the motor trade and ran, more successfully, a debt-collection agency..World Championship Wrestling:
- 1995: Martin Ruane joined WCW in the United States to feud with Hulk Hogan billed as “The Loch Ness Monster”..
- February 11, 1996–SuperBrawl: Loch Ness debuted at the end of the Hulk Hogan vs. The Giant steel cage match..
- February 12, 1996–WCW Nitro: The Loch Ness Monster defeated Scotty Riggs..
- February 19, 1996–WCW Nitro: The Loch Ness Monster defeated Alex Wright..
- March 18, 1996–WCW Nitro: Lex Luger defeated Loch Ness by Countout after The Giant attacked Loch Ness..
- March 24, 1996–WCW Uncendored: The Giant defeated Loch Ness (aka Giant Haystacks) in a Grudge match..
- Martin “The Loch Ness Monster” Ruane was diagnosed with cancer and the entire program was called off..Martin Ruane – Rest in Peace:
- November 29, 1998: Martin Ruane passes away at the age of 52 after a two year battle with cancer..
Michelle Harrison (North Wales) wrote: My name is Michelle and I’m 16. Martin Ruane is my dads uncle and i have recently started researching my dads side of the family as i have just got back in contact with him after 12 years. it is thanks to websites like yours with articles on giant haystacks that i am able to find out more and more about him. and i would like to thank you for this. i am so greatful for this and that is why i am writing to you. so… Thank You and Diolch Yn Fawr Iawn i ti!
Michelle Harrison wrote again: hello its michelle i recently met my dad and asked him about giant haystacks and he told me that he was acctually martin’s cousin!!! i have also found out that he acctually died on sunday november the 29th 1998 because of a two year battle with cancer. he started wrestling in 1967 but became known in the mid-seventies. his family originated from county mayo in ireland and wanted him to become some sort of musician, so he tried to learn the piano but because of his huge hands this soon became a challenge! also after a concert that took place in the royal albert hall where fank sinartra performed. he once said he had seen martin fight on tv that afternoon and saidhe thought british wrestlers were the best! well thats all the infomation i have for now so i will email again once i have found out more. oh and diolch yn fawr iawn i ti mean thanks very much to you! yours sincerely..