Check our the Ultimate Warrior’s WWE Alumni profile here!
Ultimate Warrior Career Highlights
- WCCW (World Class) Tag Team titles w/Lance von Erich defeating Master Gee and Matt Bourne (November 17, 1986);
- WCCW (World Class) Texas Heavyweight title defeating Bob Bradley (January 2, 1987);
- WWF Intercontinental title defeating The Honky Tonk Man (August 28, 1988 – Summerslam);
- WWF Intercontinental title defeating Rick Rude (August 28, 1989 – Summerslam);
- WWF World Heavyweight title defeating Hulk Hogan (April 1, 1990 – Wrestlemania 6);
- NWE Heavyweight title defeating Orlando Jordan (June 25, 2008);
Before the Warrior
- Jim Hellwig studied to be a Chiropractor in Atlanta, Georgia before taking up bodybuilding and wrestling.
- Jim Hellwig started wrestling in California teaming with Steve Borden (aka Sting) known as Power Team USA.
- They started out as “Power Team USA” managed by Rick Bassman – - Jim Hellwig, Steve Borden, Mark Miller and Garland Donoho.
- The Blade Runners (Rock and Flash) broke off and became a tag team in Bill Watt’s Universal Wrestling Federation.
- MDWARRIOR wrote: Sting and the Ultimate Warrior’s first tag team name was the Freedom Fighers (Sting was Flash Borden and Warrior was Jim Justice). This was noted on Sting’s Moment of Truth DVD. They were actually fired by Jerry Jarrett for being too stiff. Jarrett worked a match with them and realized it, however Sting made mention on his TNA “Return of an ICON” DVD that Jarrett got them both spots in the UWF once he released them so they could still earn a living.
Mid South Wrestling and Universal Wrestling Federation
- November 1985: Jim Hellwig got his start working in Memphis for the Lawler/Jarrett promotions.
- Jim Hellwig also worked for Bill Watts’ Universal Wrestling Federation in the Mid-South area.
- Jim Hellwig formed a tag team with Steve Borden (aka Sting) and were known as Power Team USA.
- Power Team USA eventually became known as The Bladerunners, “Rock” and “Flash”.
- June 14, 1986 – Superdome Extravaganza: Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts defeated The Bladerunners.
- The Blade Runners eventually broke up when Hellwig moved on to Fritz von Erich’s World Class Championship Wrestling.
World Class Championship Wrestling – The Dingo Warrior
- 1986: He would be known as the Dingo Warrior, adopting the gimmick that he would carry on for years in and out of the ring.
- September 1, 1986 – Star Wars: Dingo Warrior and Socko defeated Tim Brooks and The Grappler (Tag Team Title Tournament).
- ~~~Dingo Warrior and Socko beat Brian Adias and Scott Casey | Lance Von Erich and Chris Adams beat Dingo Warrior and Socko.
- October 12, 1986 – Cotton Bowl: Matt Borne and Buzz Sawyer beat Steve Simpson and Dingo Warrior by DQ to retain the Tag titles.
- November 17, 1986 – WCCW: Dingo Warrior and Lance von Erich beat Master Gee and Matt Borne to win the Tag Team titles.
- November 27, 1986 – Star Wars: Dingo Warrior defeated Master Gee in a “Chain” match.
- December 25, 1986 – Star Wars: Dingo Warrior vs Bob Bradley ended in a Double Disqualification.
- January 2, 1987 – WCCW: Dingo Warrior defeated Bob Bradley to win the Texas Heavyweight title.
- Jim Hellwig became close friends with the legendary von Erich family, particularly the late Mike von Erich.
World Wrestling Federation – The Ultimate Warrior
- June 1987: Jim Hellwig debuted in the WWF as the Dingo Warrior and wrestled jobbers for several months.
- September 1987: The WWF changed his name to The “Ultimate Warrior” in preperation for his Television debut.
- October 6, 1987: The Ultimate Warrior participated in a battle royal on the TV and sparked a lot attention.
- October 7, 1987: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Terry Gibbs at 1:38 after a splash (Warrior’s TV debut).
- ~~~The Ultimate Warrior wrestled mostly jobbers until the end of the year, like Mike Sharpe and Steve Lombardi.
World Wrestling Federation – The Ultimate Warrior
- January 26, 1988: The Ultimate Warrior defeated King Harley Race by DQ when Hercules interfered.
- January 27, 1988: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Hercules by DQ when Hercules attacked Warrior with the chain.
- ~~~Before the match, Warrior and Hercules had a tug-of-war with the chain, causing it to SNAP!
- February 1988: The Ultimate Warrior occassionally formed a tag team with Don “The Rock” Muraco.
- March 27, 1988 – Wrestlemania 4: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Hercules in his WWF Pay Per View debut.
- April 1988 – WWF in Italy: Andre The Giant defeated The Ultimate Warrior with a sitdown splash.
- May 1988: The Ultimate Warrior and Strike Force defeated Mr. Fuji and Demolition (Ax and Smash).
- May 1988: The Ultimate Warrior and Jim Duggan defeated Andre The Giant and Hercules.
- June 25, 1988 – MSG: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Bobby Heenan in a Loser Wears a Weasel Suit match.
- July 24, 1988: The Ultimate Warrior and The British Bulldogs defeated Mr. Fuji and Demolition.
- July 31, 1988 – Wrestlefest: The Ultimate Warrior beat Bobby Heenan in a “loser wears a weasel suit” match.
- August 3, 1988: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Honky Tonk Man for the IC title and did an interview holding the belt.
- ~~~WWF President Jack Tunney came out and reversed the decision, giving the title back to Honky Tonk Man.
- ~~~This was a taping for a show that would air AFTER SummerSlam, so they were just “tricking” the crowd.
- August 24, 1988: The Ultimate Warrior again won the IC title, and taped several squash matches, then was stripped.
- ~~~The matches were taped and aired after SummerSlam, again just another way to trick the audience.
- August 29, 1988 – Summerslam: The Ultimate Warrior (sub for Brutus Beefcake) beat Honky Tonk Man in 10 sec to win the IC title.
- November 16, 1988 – SNME: The Ultimate Warrior defeated The Super Ninji (Rip Oliver).
- November 24, 1988 – Survivor Series: The Ultimate Warrior was the sole survivor in his elimination match against Honky Tonk’s team.
- November 26, 1988 – SNME: The Ultimate Warrior pinned Super Ninja (Rip Oliver) to retain.
- December 26 and 27, 1988 – House Shows: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Honky Tonk Man in Steel Cage matches.
- January 7, 1989 – SNME: The Ultimate Warrior defeated the Honky Tonk Man to retain.
- January 15, 1989 – Royal Rumble: The Warrior took part in a Super Posedown with “Ravishing” Rick Rude.
- ~~~Rude attacked the Warrior at that event, setting up their match at Wrestlemania 5.
- April 2, 1989 – Wrestlemania 5: Rick Rude defeated The Ultimate Warrior for the Intercontinental title.
- August 28, 1989 – Summerslam: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Rick Rude to recapture the IC title.
- November 23, 1989 – Survivor Series: The Ultimate Warrior was the sole survivor in his Elimination match against the Heenan Family.
- November 25, 1989 – SNME: Ultimate Warrior beat Andre the Giant by Disqualification.
- The Ultimate Warrior’s star was rising, and a showdown with WWF Champion Hulk Hogan was inevitable.
- January 21, 1990 – Royal Rumble: Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan met face to face during the Royal Rumble match.
- ~~~Hogan ended up eliminating The Warrior (others helped) on his way to winning the Rumble.
- January 27, 1990 – SNME: Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior beat Mr. Perfect and Lanny Poffo.
- February 23, 1990 – Main Event III: Ultimate Warrior pinned Dino Bravo to retain.
- April 1, 1990 – Wrestlemania 6: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Hulk Hogan to become WWF Heavyweight champion!
- April 13, 1990 – WWF/AJPW Summit: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Ted DiBiase to retain the WWF Heavyweight title.
- April 28, 1990 – SNME: The Ultimate Warrior pinned Haku to retain the title.
- The Ultimate Warrior rekindled his feud with Rick Rude, who boasted a win over the new WWF Champion.
- July 28, 1990 – SNME: Ultimate Warrior beat Rick Rude by Disqualification to retain.
- August 27, 1990 – Summerslam: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Rick Rude in a “steel cage” match to retain the title.
- October 13, 1990 – SNME: Legion of Doom and Ultimate Warrior beat Demolition Axe, Smash, and Crush.
- November 23, 1990 – SNME: Ultimate Warrior beat Ted DiBiase via DQ to retain the title.
- November 22, 1990 – Survivor Series: Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan were the ultimate survivors at the end of the night.
- The Ultimate Warrior was pestered by “Macho King” Randy Savage for a title shot but Warrior didn’t feel he deserved one.
- January 19, 1991 – Royal Rumble: Sgt Slaughter defeated The Ultimate Warrior for the title after Randy Savage interfered.
- March 24, 1991 – Wrestlemania 7: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Randy Savage in a “Retirement” match.
- March 30, 1991: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Sgt. Slaughter at the Egg Dome in Tokyo, Japan.
- The Ultimate Warrior joined forces with Hulk Hogan to feud with Sgt Slaughter, Col Mustafa and General Adnan.
- April 27, 1991 – SNME: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Sgt Slaughter by Disqualification.
- August 26, 1991 – Summerslam: Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior defeated Slaughter, Mustafa and Adnan in a handicap match.
- The Ultimate Warrior held up Vince McMahon for more money before the event and was promptly fired after the match.
- ~~~Rumors circulated that the Ultimate Warrior had died, but these rumors were completly FALSE.
World Wrestling Federation – The Ultimate Warrior II
- April 5, 1992 – Wrestlemania 8: The Warrior made a surprise return, helping Hulk Hogan during an attack from Sid and Papa Shango.
- August 29, 1992 – Summerslam: The Ultimate Warrior defeated WWF Champion Randy Savage by DQ, when Ric Flair interfered.
- November 8, 1992 – SNME: The Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage defeated Ted DiBiase and Irwin R. Schyster by COUNT OUT.
- The Ultimate Warrior developed a reputation backstage among workers for being difficult to work with.
- ~~~Warrior constantly wanted things done his way,and got upset when writers wanted him to feud with Nailz.
- November 1992: The Ultimate Warrior left the World Wrestling Federation after a failing a drug test.
- 1993: The Warrior filed a $6 million lawsuit against the WWF, but the lawsuit was eventually dropped.
World Wrestling Federation – The Ultimate Warrior III
- 1996: The Ultimate Warrior once again returned to the World Wrestling Federation in a desperate attempt to increase ratings.
- March 31, 1996 – Wrestlemania XII: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Hunter Hearst-Helmsley.
- April 28, 1997 – In Your House 7: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Goldust (IC Champion) by COUNT OUT.
- April 29, 1996 – RAW: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Isaac Yankem DDS (the future Kane).
- May 26, 1996 – In Your House 8: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Owen Hart.
- May 27, 1996 – RAW: The Ultimate Warrior vs Goldust ended in a Double Count Out.
- June 23, 1996 – King of the Ring: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Jerry “The King” Lawler.
- July 08, 1996 – RAW: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Owen Hart by Disqualification.
- The Ultimate Warrior failed to appear at several WWF live events on which he was advertised.
- The Ultimate Warrior was promptly fired by Vince McMahon and released from his WWF contract.
- The Warrior once again disappeared from the wrestling scene.
World Championship Wrestling – One Warrior Nation
- Warrior resurfaced in World Championship Wrestling, in an attempt to extract revenge on Hulk Hogan.
- September 13, 1998 – Fall Brawl: Warrior participated in the War Games match as the captain of his team.
- October 11, 1998 – Nitro: Sting and Warrior defeated Hollywood Hogan and Bret Hart by Disqualification.
- October 25, 1998 – Halloween Havoc: Hollywood Hulk Hogan defeated Warrior in a long-awaited rematch.
- Warrior formed the “One Warrior Nation” (oWn -get it?-) by stealing The Disciple from the nWo.
- Warrior was again tough to work with and couldn’t agree to a contract and disappeared from WCW Television.
The Self-Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior
- May 5, 2003: The Ultimate Warrior is being booked to speak at college campuses about Conservative ideology.
- October 26, 2003: The Ultimate Warrior is claiming he will make an announcement on his web site regarding his return to pro wrestling.
- October 28, 2003: The Ultimate Warrior says he’ll be working with acclaim on their new “Legends Showdown” video game.
- 2005: WWE released a DVD without Warrior’s consent OR participation called “The Self-Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior”.
- ~~~The DVD was a complete burial of the Ultimate Warrior character and Jim “Warrior” Hellwig as a human being.
- ~~~In instant war of words struck up between Warrior and Vince McMahon mostly confined to their internet websites.
- January 18, 2006: Warrior Warrior filed a lawsuit against WWE and Vince and Linda McMahon regarding the content of the DVD.
- June 25, 2008 – NWU: The Ultimate Warrior defeated Orlando Jordan to win the NWE Heavyweight title in Spain.
- ~~~Warrior immediately vacated the title and NWE announced that there would be an upcoming tournament.
World Wrestling Entertainment – 2014:
- WWE announced on the January 13, 2014 edition of Monday Night RAW that the Ultimate Warrior will be a member of the WWE Hall of Fame class of 2014. The induction takes place in April during WrestleMania weekend in New Orleans, LA.