Interview with Rockin' Rebel
July 19, 2004 - by Larz Richards
3. What was it like to train with the Rock N Roll Express?
1. Well, for the benefit of fans who don't follow the indy scene, can you give them a good idea of who Rockin Rebel is?
The man you love to hate.....and don't try and get into a verbal war of words, trust me you will lose.
2. What made you decide to get into the wrestling business and how did you go about getting into it?
Always wanted to be a wrestler but when I was doing martial arts I saw a friend of mine at a wrestling show and he steered me in the right direction and the rest is history.
The best training- they taught me the basics and a lot of ring smarts
4. You were a regular for ECW during its early days. How did you first become involved in ECW, and what was it like working there?
Well I was in Puerto Rico and Todd Gordon called me and said he buddy your missed come home. I know its not TWA, but I think this new fed I got will turn into something big. He was right it was a blast.
5. Any memorable moments from your ECW stay that you'd like to talk about?
Too many to really talk about but if someone wants to publish my encounters let me know its worth reading.
6. You've Had a big part in the Philadelphia independent scene especially with CZW and 3PW? Do you think that the Philly market gets over saturated at all, with all of the groups that have recently ran there?
Before, but each company has its diversity OLD SCHOOL, NEW SCHOOL, HARD CORE, ETC. YOU GET THE PICTURE. NOW ROH WILL BE IN THE MIX AND I LIKE WHAT THEY GOT.
7. Do you think that in general the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission does a good job at regulating pro-wrestling?
TO A CERTAIN POINT.... EITHER THERE TOO OVER BEARING OR TOO STUPID ON SOME RULES
8. Is there anything you'd like to see done differently in regards to the regulation of pro-wrestling in general?
JUST STICK TO THE RULES AND ALL WILL BE FINE
9. You were one of the few people about Zandig bringing in some of the IWA: Mid South wrestlers to work an invasion angle with. What did you think when you first told about this, and looking back what are your thoughts on the angle?
THE REBEL- ZANDIG -IWA ANGLE WAS HOT WE EVEN FOOLED THE BOYS CAUSE NO ONE KNEW AND IT WAS ALMOST A NEAR RIOT WITH THE FANS. WATCHING FRANK TALENT GET TAGGED WITH A STEEL CHAIR IN THE HEAD WAS PRICELESS I THINK HE PISSED HIMSELF IN THE PROCESS.THOSE KIND OF ANGLES ARE MONEY MAKERS.
10. Who are some of your favorite people to work with?
TOD-JASMIN,BLUE MEANIE,GREG MATTHEWS,DANNY ROSE., JACK VICTORY,CCW GUYS,TERRY AND RAPID FIRE FROM IWA-PA. DAN FROM IWC (PITTSBURGH) CHRIS HAMMRICK. I HAVE TOO MANY TO LIST BUT THOSE ARE MY TOP FAV'S. I DONT WANT TO HURT ANYONES FEELING IF I DON'T HAVE YOUR NAME UP.
11. Who are your best friends in the business?
MY WIFE,FRANK TALENT, AND THE ONES WHO PAY ME
12. In addition to working all over the US, you've worked a lot of places abroad too. What is it like to work a foreign country versus working in the US?
DIFFERANT AND A GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE ALSO MAKING THAT AMERICAN DOLLAR BILL OVER SEAS
13. Any memorable stories from your trip abroad that you'd like to share?
READ THE BOOK- TO BE COMING OUT SOON.
14. Who in your opinion are the upcoming wrestler/wrestlers to keep an eye on in the future?
MATT STRYKER, DERIK FRAZIER,RYAN LOOT, MY KID OOOPS I DONT HAVE ONE. OR DO I?
15. Is there any wrestler or promotion that you haven't had a chance to work that you'd like to?
NONE THAT I CAN THINK OF, I'VE WORKED SO MANY
16. In general has the indy scene become better or worse?
SHOW WISE ITS OK TALENT WISE ALOT OF NEW KIDS DONT KNOW THE RESPECT FACTOR OR HOW TO PROPERLY WORK AND THAT EFFECTS THE OVER ALL PICTURE. TO ALL PROMOTERS MORE STORY LINES MEANS MORE FANS. MORE FANS EQUAL MORE MONEY PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND REMEMBER THIS, MORE THAN LIKELY YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS BUT SOME ARE TOO STUPID TO USE IT.
17. What in your opinion is your best match?
I HAVE ALOT I LIKE, ALOT OF THE REBEL/MATTHEWS TAG TEAM STUFF, PWF BABY FACE IN POTTSTOWN, EARLY CZW HEEL/RUCKUS FUED. REBEL/OSBOURNE AS THE DARKSIDE.
18. In your 16 year career is there anything you look back on and regret?
YES WHEN WWF HIRED ME AFTER MY 1ST DARK MATCH AND I SAID THE WRONG THING AFTER MY MATCH AND THEY THOUGHT I HAD A BAD ATTITUDE AND I FUCKED IT UP AND I LEARNED FROM IT.
19. How can the fans keep up with your career?
20. Any last plugs/thoughts you'd like to throw out?
IF YOUR LOOKING TO GET INSULTED BY THE BEST MIC MAN IN THE BUSINESS AND WANT TO SEE COMEDY AND OLD SCHOOL HEEL HEAT THEN CHECK OUT ROCKIN REBEL AT AN ARENA NEAR YOU.
by Larz Richards.
If you have any comments, reactions, rebuttles or thoughts on this column, feel free to send them to the email below,
If your email is intelligently written, they will be posted underneath this messege..
We at OnlineWorldofWrestling want to promote all points of view, and that includes YOURS.
© 2007, Black Pants, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective holders.