topcenter

WRESTLING COLUMNS

The Formula of John Cena
October 13, 2005 by Efrem Solomon


No one can deny the popularity this man has, but what is to be disputed is what do we make of him" Some face that came into the business a few years ago, but is the champion over any other wrestler that's been in longer. A loud mouth exaggerating his moves, but has the crowd roaring and asking for more. A rapper claiming to be from the hard knocks, but in each match he fights like a brawler. It's hard to understand John Cena's character without analyzing his development.

We must first understand what made the character of John Cena, which almost everyone ties to the Rock. We must all face the fact that the Rock was the money maker with Steve Austin constantly absent and Undertaker having lackluster matches. Once the Rock went Hollywood, the WWE needed to find or create a new hero to regain the fans. Superstars like Booker T couldn't measure up to what the Rock had, so the WWE was forced to create a hero. New Jack was a possibility as being a great hardcore wrestler, but this is a man to fear not to endorse or give him weapons to use in matches. This is where Cena comes into play, a brand new face with talent and support from legends such as the Undertaker. To automatically make him a champ would be a disgrace and have the fans despise him, he needed time to gain fans.

To gain fans he needed a persona that fit just right without being too arrogant, but the problem was there were too many gimmicks being taken. So they borrowed what had already been used, they took bits and parts of popular wrestlers and attach it to Cena. He needed to be able to work the mic, such as cracking jokes and throwing insults at his opponents. He also needed to make his moves look stunningly powerful during matches; they took those two things from the Rock. He also needed to be a badass and it's not enough to have that attitude, but also to show it inside and out of matches. Feuding with Eric Bischoff and defeating every contender thrown at him, that gave me a sourly taste of what Austin was like and had done. Most of all he had to be a face that did everything for the fans and always looked towards them for motivation; this is just a copy of Hulk Hogan, but I will admit many wrestler do this. The similarity of the "Chain Gang" and the Hulkamaniacs are too close to be considered completely different.

Even with the adopted persona he still needed to gain maximum popularity that required some originality. Hip Hop music has gained acceptance in suburban culture, namely teenagers trying to be tough. The WWE saw this and branded Cena with a gangsta rapper gimmick, surprisingly it worked well. The reason for this was because it gave something the young viewers could identify with. The degenerate complex worked for Degeneration-X and it worked for Cena, but it was different for Cena. Having a hip hop gimmick widened his audience and fan base, because hip hop is very diverse fans from across the world got behind Cena.

Even with all those things combined Cena would be a complete failure if his performance inside the ring was total garbage. He had wrestling talent, but nothing that would delight fans or give him reason to move up on titles. They had to give him a tough guy aspect; which meant when went up against great wrestlers at some point he would pull off some show of strength and ability. Such as when gave Brock Lesnar the "F-U", when Lesnar usually performed a similar move. Performing this move on several big name faces gave Cena the cover of a tough guy. To be among the tough guys in the business, Cena had to be in several matches where he caught the victory with his last bit of strength. The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan did this more often than not and lately Cena has been too. At the start of his career he couldn't beat Kurt Angle; but now he not only can he beat him but also get knocked around 95% of the match and pick up the win at the very end.

In my opinion, John Cena is nothing more than a wrestling version of the pop group O-Town; he is just someone to fill in while the Rock takes a break. Appearing as some gangsta rapper is quite pathetic in my eyes, he should stick to what he is instead of posing as someone he sees on television. Give us something we know is genuine, someone like Bret Hart or Jimmy Snuka. Don't give me a cheap copy and tell me I'm supposed to like it. Perhaps I'm wrong about him, almost every great wrestler has been hated and maybe this is his time.

by Efrem Solomon ..


Amy Weber (not THAT Amy Weber) wrote:
John Cena is the best WWE Champion since Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, or Kevin Nash held the title. How can you say he's a fake"
Efrem Solomon wrote:
First off, even if you ignored every champion in between Bret Hart, Shawn Micheals till now John Cena still doesn't compare to what those men did with their title reigns. Secondly, I thought I just thoroughly explained how I see John Cena as being a manufactured wrestler.
LORRAINE KENNEDY wrote:
Because the guy is right. John Cena is a little bit of every character that made the attitude era so entertaining. The Rock is the biggest star in wrestling bar none, and if he came back, he would be getting the big push as his mic skills are un rivalled. John Cena may claim to be better than both of these. Cena is the man derived to fill the gap the Rock left. Would he be here if the Rock was around, doubt it. If you watched WWE in that era, you are seeing nothing new.

John Cena is the shawn michaels of this era (without the talent obviousley), he is plugging the gap between the great star. HBK and Bret Hart filled the gap between Hogan and Austin, Cena is doing the same for the next star.
Jasper Sha wrote:
I gotta disagree with you here. John has been cutting more and more promos of higher caliber of late that is more of his own self than of any other wrestler. I think it is about this point that he is beginning to get a feel of what he's turning out to be because the quips and remarks he makes are surprisingly funny in their own way. It is definitely deviating from the Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan, or any other infamous character. He is truly turning out to be the whole package: the looks, the body, the slowly evolving character, and he seems to be improving on his brawling style. I don't know if anyone remembers, but he put on a solid debut match against Kurt Angle using a lot of amateur wrestling. When he made the switch to his new character, he changed his style of wrestling and thus was put into unfamiliar territory. His brawling style has improved a bit (though not my favorite type to watch), he certainly is the new wave as you admitted. The era of the Rock and Stone Cold is over, plain and simple. They were the attitude era and they have given over their titles as Icons and revolutionizers. His formula definitely did borrow heavily from other greats, but he's clearly now forging his own path.
Jim Rush wrote:
How can you say giving the "F-U" makes John a "tough guy"" Am I the only one on the face of the earth that realizes that this move is basically nothing but a glorified firemans carry takeover" I would give anything to see someone completely no-sell this move and force John to come up with a better finisher.
KAngle3I's1996 wrote:
Amy Weber shut your mouth. Anyone who thinks Cena is good is a mark. Yeah i went there. This guy is goodo n the mic i will give him that and his in ring work is at least better than Batista's but what does that prove""" He somehow is way over with the wwe fans which are obviously idiots. Anyone who would rather have Cena as champ over someone like Kurt Angle or Christian(yeah i know hes on the B show right now but hes earned a shot at the top for sure even though wwe has completely killed his push) is a moron and has no idea what their talking about. With that said, i have never seen wwe give the rub to someone more than they have to Cena. Let's just see how good he will be once Triple H decides he wants to be champ again and has his father in law set it up.
alex martinez wrote:
let me guess youre a major fan of the the ROCK, its been wel documented that all john cena bashers are all the rocks fans, face it pal youre looking at the next rock right in front of youre eyes!
Louie The Man wrote:
If have to say that I agree with you on everything except the fact that he has in-ring talent. Come on, his wrestlingskills are almost as bad as Hulk Hogans. And that's real bad! His reign has lasted far to long! It's getting so irretating to night after night see the babyface John Cena rush in and save all the faces from the heels. And the fact that he'd ever be able to beat Angle is a JOKE. A bad freakin' JOKE! Angle is by far the most talanted guy on the WWE roster, and that a punk-kid like Cena could beat him is a shame for the whole industry. And "Amy Weber (not THAT Amy Weber)", best champion since Bret Hart" For shame that you call yourself a wrestlingfan. Even comparing Bret Hart with Cena is an insult to Bret! Cena should be stripped from the title, job to someone deserving and get the hell out of the WWE. And a little off-topic: Hip-Hop/rap is not, and will never be, music.
NamaewaJieshii wrote:
Um... Diesel was never a great champion, he was just a tall guy who had muscles at the time. John Cena is indeed a fake when it comes to trying to be black or a rapper. He's no greater of a champion than the likes of Diesel or any other mediocre performer.
Bishop92882 wrote:
To Louie The Man: This is not a music genre debate chat room, these columns are for the sole purpose of sharing your opinions on............what's this site called again" Oh yeah........."Online World of Wrestling"! But since you brought it up, Here's a quote. "Seeing the world through a closed-minded view (or ear in this case) is like trying to look at the universe through a crack in the door." I think that Mr. Solomon covered the fact that the rap angle is solely for the purpose of attracting young and fresh audiences. Now, back to business. Even though you could never tell from what you see nowadays, John Cena is actually not that bad of a wrestler (if you ever watched an OVW tape you would know this already, that and his first match with Angle was the most impressive rookie debut in smackdown history), neither was Hogan before Hulkamania, after all, he was trained by one of the greatest Japanese wrestlers of all time in Hiro Matsuda, and you saw a small glimpse of it in the first match between him and Ric Flair at Bash at the Beach '94 (he put Flair in a fujiwara armbar and is the only guy I have ever seen who can, or could, execute a perfect figure-four leglock without the 360-degree spin). Steve Austin was once the Ringmaster (who was a technical wizard) before he became Stone Cold and the was given the typical babyface WWE Champion "last-action-hero wrestling style" (starting off the first 5 minutes of the match dominating with punches, getting the crap kicked out of them for the next 15-20 minutes, then having the [ha] miraculous comeback which consists of their 2 or 3 crowd-pleaser maneuvers, then the big finisher). I agree with you that Kurt Angle is a far better wrestler than John Cena, as a matter of fact arguably the best technical wrestler ever to step in a WWE ring (with the noteable exceptions of Chris Benoit and Bret Hart), but considering the fact that through aging and injuries his time is catching up with him, he must adhere to the tradition, from the days of Sammartino vs. Zbysko, to present day examples like HHH vs. Batista, for the old guard to put over the future of this business. Dont get me wrong, the Cena character is probably my least favorite character on WWE, especially for an old-school fan like myself, but in any form of business you have to "sell what sells", and the majority has spoken.
Joshua Stallworth wrote:
KAngle3I's1996, i'm a hige fan of John Cena, and to call all of his fans "marks" are just uncalled for and in my opinion just retarded. Why am I an idiot just because I tend to have different tastes then that of yours" every one can't like the same thing and no one ever will. Yes I would perfer Angle over Cena as the Champion, but never Christian and by the way, I wouldn't call Smackdown the "B" show as it has GREATLY improved over Raw, but I digress. Also to call some one an idiot for liking someone other than what you like has me questing you ignoriance and interegty, it's just wrestling take a chill pill. Is he the best technical wrestler out there" No. Could he improve his skills" Yes, he can. But the fact remains that Cena makes money, he's loved by the "REAL"fans, and shows passion for the business. Yes, I'm a Cena fan, always have and always will be. That's my God given right of choice. Louie The Man, You stated that Cena should get out of the wwe, why, because he doesn't entertain you, because he's the champion, or because you just don't like him. I honestly believe that all of these factors come into play with you on this subject. And to get a little off topic: Yes Hip Hop/Rap is "Real" music. I just believe that you as do a lot of people don't give it a chance, yet you wonder why people don't listen to the likes of Slipknot, or Green Day, or OLP. (Yes I do listen to some rock music) And I see this as another reason as to why you don't like Cena, because he resprensets Rap/Hip Hop. Jim Rush, until you've been fireman's carried(F-U'd) I really would suggest that you don't discredit the move. Trust me it hurts like no other. In closing, I would just like to point out to the people who dislike Cena, you put Vince in this situation. No matter how much he was portrayed as a heel, he would continually be cheered each and every night. So I say you made your own bed, now you sleep in it.
"IronBull" Dave Boddy wrote:
Well, it seems to me we all have different outlooks, obviously. Well the way I see it, it is a smart way to have John Cena as champ, look at it this way sure his character is boring and highly predictable, but the crowd reacts to him so wildly, give him credit when it is due. He also does have the right to live his dream everyone, i will never bash and hash on someone living their dream, sure we are fans, but we do not make the final decisions, we only motivate towards a "decision". Simply put with john cena being champ is a great bussiness decision, hence why he still the champ.

And on him trying to be black" jeesh lay off with placing gestures and ways of speaking to a colour of skin, how is it that the most famous rapper is white" obviously it shows something there. I am not disagreeing or agreeing to anything that was said, but only adding more of a statement to that column. To me we should not bitch and complain about who is champ, as we doing it on the net, and yet at the time there are thousands of people cheering for him at shows, which is more of an impact for their decisioning on him maintaining champ status.
Efrem Solomon wrote:
Before I say anything I would first like to thank everybody for taking notice to my column and placing a comment. Jasper, I do agree his promos are getting better and more original, but that still does not bring any creditablity to his character. Jim, I am not saying the move is what makes him a "tough guy", I am saying him using that move on big name stars while they sell it. You're right they should pressure him into creating a better finishing move, maybe one that's not so common. Alex, yes I am a fan of the Rock and the Undertaker and Mick Foley and Austin and several others, but that did make me discriminate Cena. When I first saw Cena on Smackdown I thought he could develop into something legendary if he was properly taken care of. I feel as though he wasn't and rose through the ranks way too quick. John Cena had great potential and the WWE saw that, but they should have let him develop on his own.
Leonard Mc coy wrote:
Bishop's response was the most intellgent response of all. Wrestlers always and I mean ALWAYS follow a formula...look at Flair, yeah he's the man, but he's a carbon copy of Buddy Rogers, he even admited that himself...from the blond hair to the strut and geuss what, it was a formula of sucess. John Cena got his gimmick becuase he s#^**ed on every one in a freestyle battle on a tour bus, he started off as a heel no one really cared about, but as he got into feuds with better talent (Eddie Geurrero, the feud with him was great stuff) he gained notorietey and a lot of people loved the heel Cena. But once he turned face a lot of the 'smarks' started s^$*ing on him (hmmm...Randy Orton anyone") But in the end, it all boils down to this...The Rock ain't coming back....get used to it, becuase we have a new generation of stars...Cena, Orton, Carlito, Ken Kennedey and Bobby Lashey are just a few of the honorable mentions...OH and on the music side...I belive it was BB King (please correct me if I'm wrong) who said 'There are only two genres of music, good and bad.' So stick to the wrestling before you speak on music.....sucka.
Jeff (37,MI) wrote:
I won't slam Cena's overall skill. He is good in my opinion, but not great. To me, he just doesn't stand out even in the least. I fail to understand why such a big deal is made about Cena.
KAngle3I's1996 wrote:
OH WOW IT IS SO ON RIGHT NOW. First let me get this Alex Martinez JABRONI outta the way. You said and i QUOTE "let me guess youre a major fan of the the ROCK, its been wel documented that all john cena bashers are all the rocks fans, face it pal youre looking at the next rock right in front of youre eyes!".....ok just to get one thing straight...i ain't your pal buddy...Anyways yes how can anyone not be a major fan of the ROCK he was the effin man if he came back and went to smackdown i would actually give a shit about that crappy show (not that Raw is better really). Who said that all John Cena bashers are the Rock's fans" Well documented" By who, you and your imaginary friends" I'm looking at the next Rock in front of my eyes""" Damn i must be going blind cuz i cant see him and...well...U CANT SEE ME.

Just for anyone who is too lazy to scroll up here is what the amazingly smart Joshua Stallworth had to say...."KAngle3I's1996, i'm a hige fan of John Cena, and to call all of his fans "marks" are just uncalled for and in my opinion just retarded. Why am I an idiot just because I tend to have different tastes then that of yours" every one can't like the same thing and no one ever will. Yes I would perfer Angle over Cena as the Champion, but never Christian and by the way, I wouldn't call Smackdown the "B" show as it has GREATLY improved over Raw, but I digress. Also to call some one an idiot for liking someone other than what you like has me questing you ignoriance and interegty, it's just wrestling take a chill pill. Is he the best technical wrestler out there" No. Could he improve his skills" Yes, he can. But the fact remains that Cena makes money, he's loved by the "REAL"fans, and shows passion for the business. Yes, I'm a Cena fan, always have and always will be. That's my God given right of choice. Louie The Man, You stated that Cena should get out of the wwe, why, because he doesn't entertain you, because he's the champion, or because you just don't like him. I honestly believe that all of these factors come into play with you on this subject. And to get a little off topic: Yes Hip Hop/Rap is "Real" music. I just believe that you as do a lot of people don't give it a chance, yet you wonder why people don't listen to the likes of Slipknot, or Green Day, or OLP. (Yes I do listen to some rock music) And I see this as another reason as to why you don't like Cena, because he resprensets Rap/Hip Hop. Jim Rush, until you've been fireman's carried(F-U'd) I really would suggest that you don't discredit the move. Trust me it hurts like no other. In closing, I would just like to point out to the people who dislike Cena, you put Vince in this situation. No matter how much he was portrayed as a heel, he would continually be cheered each and every night. So I say you made your own bed, now you sleep in it."

WOW. I think i speak for everyone when i say...would u please....SHUT THE HELL UP. You should not even be allowed near a wrestling ring much less a wrestling site. You have completely embarrassed not only yourself and everyone you have ever come into contact with but you have completely embarrassed me as well. Just knowing that there is someone out there so intelligent and who knows wrestling and then talks like he knows what he is talking about is just so great to see. So apparently you are a "hige" fan of Cena. Hmmm that's interesting. No not that you have the intelligence of a 1st grader and know how to type really well but why the hell would anyone over the age of 13 be a fan of john cena""" And to say that you are not a mark for being a cena fan...give me a freaking break sir that is pathetic. You are an idiot because i said you are...now sit down shut the hell up and eat your damn cookies and DRINK YOUR DAMN MILK WHOOOOOOOOO. Wow big statement there prefering King Kurt over cena as champ but WHAT THE HELL. What you got against Christian you bum" This guy has paid his dues and deserves a shot at the top. Just because he is not a steroid freak like Batista or Triple H he can't get a title shot" He's not a main eventer"" Give me a break. I could go on and on about how screwed Christian's "push" has gone the last couple months but let's try and stay on topic for now at least.....so you really think that Smackdown is not the B show in the wwe" Wow i gotta give you credit i never thought anyone be that intelligent about anything again. Yeah Smackdown is DEFINITELY NOT THE B SHOW....my ass....don't say stupid shit okay" You sound like a mealy mouthed bastard going around saying dumb things. You are right though...Smackdown isn't the B show anymore...it's more like the C or D show. Their roster has been completely gutted, they only have a few good workers on teh brand, boring storylines, pathetic buildup for anything (i'll bet you were probably the only person who watched let alone even knew about no mercy last week), nobody cares about smackdown it sucks. They got bumped to friday nights and wwe can try to spin it any way they want it still sucks for them and they know it. Who the hell is going to stay in and watch of all things SMACKDOWN""" ON A FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!""""" Wow, anyone who wtaches smackdown on a regular basis should just be ashamed of themselves as they are obviously a bum. Thursday nights was fine but don't waste your weekend, especially when they are not even putting on good shows at all. They don't let their crusierweights do anything anymore. Raw Homecoming shit all over smackdow and wwe used a tease of maybe raw superstars will appear at no mercy, so taht maybe more people would watch no mercy because umm....NO ONE WATCHED IT OR WENT TO IT. orton,taker,benoit,eddie,rey,christian...i cant think of anyone else good...yeah supercrazy,etcetc i know but they DONT USE THEM...although i do like ken kennedy....KENNEDYYYY....but within a year he will be on raw so all will be right with the world. I could go on and on all day about this but to borrow a page from my good "pal" Joshua Stallworth, i digress. Also, DONT U EVER FREAKIN QUESTION MYT INTEGRITY. INTENSITY, INTEGRITY AND INTELLIGENCE (3 i'S) U SHOULD TRY TO ACQUIRE SOME INTELLIGENCE BUDDY TOO BAD U DONT HAVE ANY. I assume u have no intensity since u watch smackdown and are probably really good at not being a waste(JESSE). I assume u have no integrity because u probably are a waste(JESSE). And of course i assume u have no intelligence, well....because u dont have any. How dare you take one of my 3 i's away from me u bum. LIVE FOR THE 3i's! You say you're a cena fan and always will be....ok have fun. Now don't get me wrong i don't hate the guy like a lotta people do. But facts are facts, this guy just cannot wrestle worth a shit and the only reason why it appears that he has gotten better and looked better in the ring is not becasue he has stepped his game up and risen to a new level but rather that he has had KURT so i don't wanna hear any of your crap about that. And how the hell would you know if the gingerly placed firemans carry(copyright mike johnson) (gotta represent lol) hurts" I'm sure you have it done to you quite often. Hurts like no other""" WTF""" Yeah you're a real fan alright, mark. You should consider changing your name to mark it fits you a lot better as the jobber in life you must be. Well if the wwe fans put vinny mac in the position to elevate cena and push him higher and quicker than i have ever seen someone pushed before (who didn't deserve but instead lucked into his gimmick) then it just shows how stupid and ignorant many of the wwe fans are. When you have people booing a fantastic mat based match like an angle/benoit match for example that is just disgusting and sad and thankfully i have roh and tna and of course older matches when wwe was actually GOOD cuz fans today have no idea what they could've had 10-15-20 years ago. Or maybe they do but since tehir wwe fans and marks they just don't realize.
The Wrestling Follower wrote:
If you were to speak to Samoa Joe about John Cena, he will tell you that during their nights travelling from shows to show by car, they would freestyle to pass the time. Joe acknowledges that Cena knows how to rhyme off the top of his head, meaning that it's something that he does naturally. I believe that the generalization "Gangsta Rap" is misleading, and is also an easy excuse to use stereotypical racial opinions to direct an argument in your favor. Meanwhile, care is never taken to define what "Gangsta Rap" truly is. Has John Cena called himself a gangster" Is the "Chain Gang" a hip-hop reference" Please be careful when speaking about these issues, because there is alot of gray area. I listen to all types of music, and 9 times out of 10 I'm not listening to radio rap music. I listen to Underground Hip-Hop which is a better way to represent the culture of rap. "Gangsta Rap" is just a term people use when they have no understanding of the culture. By the way, I will be contributing another Column, my first column was more of a Rankings type column, this time, I will explain the whole Wrestling Follower Network premise. Thank you, -
David McClelland wrote:
I think you are correct is assuming that John Cena's current character is a "formula" and you site other wresting characters as influences. Where I disagree is in your assertion that Cena's character is any more of less genuine then "The Rock" or "Stone Cold" or "The Game".... don't you remember bushy haired Rocky Maivia jogging to the ring for his big match with the Sultan" or "Stunning" Steve Austin running his fingers through his golden blond locks" Or maybe Hunter Hearst Helmsley prancing down to the ring in velvet" The truth is, these characters are only as genuine as you are willing to believe they are... the real question is: does the image fit the man, and in Cena's case it does. It's doesn't really matter what John Cena is like when he's home on his couch, he pulls off the character.... and the WWE is trying to find characters that fit the times. All of these superstars have followed the same formula: try out an image, if it's popular keep it... if it's not ditch it and find another one. Guys like Bret Hart and Chris Beniot are so "genuine" because they don't have the ability to create a persona like the Rock or SCSA or HHH.
Michael Scott Stone wrote:
I have no problem with John Cena as a person--he seems like a genuinely good guy and is fairly well spoken--but I have to admit that this character doesn't sit too well with me at all. It has nothing to do with the hip-hop persona or the predictable cliche rhyming he tends to fall back on. I'm bothered by him stopping in the middle of matches to "pump up" his sneakers...I'm bothered by that ridiculous breakdancing fist drop routine (frankly the Rock's people's elbow bothers me for basically the same reason)...I'm even bothered by the belt he wears: the WWE title belt with the spinning logo is as goofy to me as DiBiase's million dollar belt. But the question isn't, should we like or dislike John Cena because of his character" The question is: considering the long list of ridiculous characters McMahon has fed us in the past, is it even worth bothering about" The answer is: probably not. Speaking as someone who has watched wrestlers like Hurricane and Rosey, Outback Jack, the Repo Man, Akeem, Hillbilly Jim, Eugene, Tugboat, Brother Love, Adorable Adrian, the Brooklyn Brawler, the Red Rooster, the Bushwhackers (with all due respect, their WWE days were embarassing), and Kerwin White (considering the recent tragedy--don't even get me started on that one) I can say that John Cena is relatively low on the list of bad characters. As far as wrestling ability is concerned--he's certainly not in league with the Angles, Harts, Michaels, Flairs, and Benoits of the world. But he's no Ultimate Warrior or Hillbilly Jim either. Cena is an average wrestler with a bit of a silly (to me, anyway, just an opinion) gimmick, whose popularity stems partly from charisma, but mostly from "boy-band syndrome." That being said...I do have to give the man props for his tribute to Eddie Guerrero on Raw. Whatever he doesn't have, he does have class. Stoney
Michael Pate wrote:
Personally, I think John Cena's character from his mic skills to in-ring skills are more than comparable to that of the Rock's and Austin's and any of the major superstars (except of course for Kurt Angle, Bret Hart and any of the technical legends). I will admit, to me from an overall standpoint, wrestling overall has lost some of its luster for me. However, John Cena alone was enough for me to start watching again. Personally, I like his finisher, if you've been watching closely, you can see that he's made small changes to the move to make it that much more devistating. First from delivering it from a stand-up position, to falling to his knees, to completely sitting out of it, and making it look that much more devastating. I don't know why people piss and moan saying that the FU is crappy move, when these same people were the ones who would go crazy over Hulk Hogan delivering one of his many "legendary" leg drops. I can safely say that the FU is a lot more devastating than that, and ranks right up there with the rock bottom, as it can be used to put people through tables or anything of the like and look that much more stunning. Leave the FU alone...it's a damn good move.

As for the whole gripe about his character being "gangsta"" Hmm...didn't he recently release a DVD or Book or something to that nature showing his REAL life and home. In no way, was he trying to "front" as if he was from the streets, or that he was a bonifide hood, such as the likes of actual rap stars such as 50 Cent (who actually has the credibility to back it up).

As far as Mic skills go" They're EXCITING! They're just as good as the rock's, although the rock's mic skills are god-like, as well as Chris Jericho's. But John Cena's mic skill are so great, that I have myself tuning into every show waiting to hear what he says. I can easily say that they're better than Hulk Hogan's "Watcha Gonna DO BROTHER, BROTHER....BROTHERRRRR!!!" Promos.

Those of you who say that John Cena is predictable should really stop and think about it for a second. Weren't you the same people falling for the same things that Hulk Hogan would do night after night" Hulk Hogan was very predicatable in the ring as well when it would come to sequences...and yet he got over with the fans for YEARS. Because you were all suckers and he knew it.

In my eyes, Cena is a damn good wrestler and deserves a lot more credit for his overall skills. It's obvious that none of you want to give him a chance because of the whole hip-hop/rap gimmick that he has going on. That in and of itself should tell you about what kind of people you really are. There's not much else you can really do to sway people's opinions...people will think what they want and that's the end of it. My opinion is...John Cena is A LOT better than what people give him credit for. I'm a huge Rock fan as well...I would put John Cena in his class.
Bea Valenzuela wrote:
First of all, I'd like to point out that the topic is about John Cena, and no one else. KAngle3I's1996 , what is your damn problem about Cena and his fans" Dammit, you badmouth them like some kind of trashtalk a-hole. Have you had pitchers of beer or something" What's your problem" John Cena's an okay wrestler. He's not great, but he's good enough to win against other popular superstars. What makes you think you can tell someone to shut their mouth" Or tell them that the way he types like a 1st Grader" You aint a typing champ are ya there as well huh, chief. Hell, people can sue you ALREADY. Oh yeah, the FU has nothing to do with firemen. It's a modified Death Valley Driver. Before you badmouth a guy, get some typing lessons, and earn some respect, will ya" Kurt Angle's a great wrestler, Christian is too. Cena beat them BOTH. You're an idiot yourself. You can talk to Cena's face with his fans, and they'll squash you like stepping on raisins. Oh yeah, are you dissing Batista" He's the champ for God's sake. He doesn't use freakin steroids. Nobody likes SmackDown" Hell, have you been watching TV" Guess not. There are more than 5000 people on every show. People embarassed you" Gimme a break, you embarrased yourself. In case you know, KURT was on SD and is now on it again. Now, you try and get yourself a life, screw you.
Drew Bowker wrote:
OMG all of you ppl are acting like 5 year olds.....GROW UP.......Here it is plain and simple....Was John Cena made by the WWF/E....Yes.....

Is he a good wrestler he is neither good or bad...all wrestlers go thru move by move with one another before the shows before we even see the final product....

He can wrestle yes but all his moves are the same as every other wrestler...... chain gang what BS....Its a master lock for godssakes how gay......Bring in Power and Glory if you want a bunch of chains and fu fu.....

The only thing real on Cena is 1) hes built like rock no not the (Rock) a rock on the ground cause all he used to do was lift weights cause he was he strong man compitions.....2) his ring wear cause I read somewhere that when he was approached with his new roll that he went out and spent his own money on his jerseys and what not cause he wanted to look real and play the part...... Now the WWE pushes everyone to go and work on ring skills...the only wrestler that has no skills is a "zombie" but thats another story....Can Cena work the mic and the crowd yes but have any of you been to a WWE event or any event to say the least....1) the crowd is told to react do BS.... 2) in the ring wrestlers know where the camera is they are reading a prompter 4 gods sake cause there lines have been written by the creative staff and then changed around by the wrestler to seem real.....We never see the side of the crowd where the crain camers are oh wait we see the 1st 5 rows and thats it....Just once I would love to see a wrestler come out of a crowd behind the camera....Is Cena tough hes tough if he can take sabu's leep off the top rope onto the anounce table and get up with a split open head oh wait didnt I see him cut his eye brow while the camera was panned out maybe I am seeing things...But who cares he was already hurt and U could draw blood from his forhead with a spoon.....Cena's rap skills suck hes just like all the rappers I can rhyme mom so I can rap...my dog can bark and howl can I sing her to a record deal.....

So we now have a champion ship belt that spins...ok Austin had a skull on his belt....how gay can it be ECW belt doesnt even look like a real belt..

My point is Brock Lesnar was to be the next big thing he left, Bill Goldberg left, so WWE needed to fill a spot and they chose Cena big deal...If you look @ the WWE as of late they are trying to find there next big star or stars cause Flair 16 time champ 1 time IC champ should retire...Foley needs to retire..Terry Funk should retire cant even get down the ramp without looking gay...Hogan hes retired from the WWE will we see him in wrestling oh im sure but who cares..Undertaker company brown noiser will be leaving sometime....See what I am saying is if you Look @ all the wrestlers the WWE has brought in, trained both men and women look @ how many they are getting rid of cause they just havent found the 1 oe 2 that have that persona that they need....

You want to talk about Cena being made look @ John Bradshaw how do you go from being a Big Texan to a acolyte thats in a ministry to a beer drinking, cigar smoking thug to an all american I will cut my hair shave my mustash, and change my tights wear a cowboy hat and hate mexicans then and only then I will win the the gold...Bradshaw is Mcmahon made cause he loves Bradshaw...Sure Bradsaw can invist money so can I by watching Cramers "Mad Money"..He can write books hes now even on Fox News hes good but he sucks........

The Rock isnt comming back full time to the WWE cause he no longer under contract with the WWE we will see him yes, but more in movies I like the Rock but its sad to say the Rock wrestling is now the past......So the WWE is forced to use who they have and make the fans like the wrestlers even if the wrestler is Gay, made, rubed, pushed upon us, doesnt mean we have to like it..... Triple H if U look @ the press conference for Vengange's he and HBK say it best were "rich biotch"....Thats true there are rich so when ever Triple H plans or wants to do something he tells his wife whoo goes to daddy and gets what she wants...Thats why we see DX again....So when Triple H wants the gold hes going to get it be is the tag team champs, IC, or champion....

If you have any comments, reactions, rebuttles or thoughts on this column, feel free to send them to the email below,
If your email is intelligently written, they will be posted underneath this messege..
We at OnlineWorldofWrestling want to promote all points of view, and that includes YOURS.




© 2007, Black Pants, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective holders.

[ CHAT ROOM | FLASH | SEARCH | FORUMS | DOWNLOADS | TAPES | WRESTLINKS | GUESTBOOK | THANK YOU | CONTACT ]