WWE Monday Night “Old School” RAW
Location: Baltimore, MD
Date: January 6, 2014
Commentators: Michael Cole and JBL (Jerry Lawler was ill)
The first WWE RAW of 2014 kicks off with an old school graphic and intro. Michael Cole welcomes us to Old School RAW from Baltimore. We’ve got the old RAW set and everything. The music hits and out comes Ric Flair to the ring.
It sounds like only Cole and JBL on commentary so far, no Jerry Lawler. We see footage from Flair talking to the San Francisco 49ers this past weekend. Flair hits the ring, with red, white and blue ropes, and welcomes us to Old School RAW. Flair hypes tonight’s show as only The Nature Boy can. Flair drops the mic and struts around the ring. The music hits and out comes WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton.
Orton says he has the utmost respect for Flair and talks about learning so much from Flair when he broke into the business. Orton can’t thank Flair enough for that. Orton says tonight isn’t only about the Legends and the Hall of Famers, tonight is about Orton also. Fans boo. Orton says Flair must agree when Orton says he’s the best and the champion of champions. Orton asks Flair to leave the ring so he can get something off his chest. Fans chant “no” and Flair doesn’t leave. Orton brings up Stephanie McMahon making his Royal Rumble match against John Cena last week. Orton doesn’t agree that it’s best for business. He says its absolute garbage. Orton wants The Authority to reverse their decision and cancel Cena’s rematch. Orton says he’s already proven he’s the man. Flair interrupts and says he’s not sure if Orton is the man. Flair says in his day if you were world champion, you performed 7 days a week. Flair says he did that for three decades and that’s why he has two Hall of Fame rings. Flair says Orton should face Cena again. Orton says Flair is the most overrated star in history. Flair talks about how he and Triple H recruited Orton. Flair says Orton had this and that but also brings an immature punk attitude he’s never grown out of. Flair wonders if when Orton goes home at night and closes the door, if he’s really a man. Orton threatens to go old school on Flair’s ass right now. They drop the mics but here comes John Cena.
Cena gets a very mixed reaction. He embraces Flair and addresses Orton, calling him a scumbag. Cena rips Orton for coming at Flair like that and calling him overrated. Cena says Orton belongs nowhere close to Flair’s resume. Cena challenges Orton to a fight and gets ready for one. Orton exits the ring with his titles and holds them high in the air as Flair and Cena hug. Cena’s music hits and he raises Flair’s arm in the air as fans cheer. Flair and Cena strut around the ring to end it.
- We go to Cole and JBL at ringside, dressed in old school gear. Cole says Jerry Lawler is under the weather and had some heart issues but his heart is fine. Cole promises an update on Lawler on the WWE App.
- They show us video from last week where Daniel Bryan joined The Wyatt Family. The Wyatt Family will be up next as Bryan, Harper and Rowan will face The Usos and Rey Mysterio. We go to commercial.
The Usos and Rey Mysterio vs. Daniel Bryan, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan
Back from the break and the team of The Usos and Rey Mysterio wait in the ring. The lights go out, Bray Wyatt lights the lantern and The Wyatt Family make their way out. Daniel Bryan walks right beside Bray and is dressed in his blue jumpsuit. The lights come on and Bryan doesn’t look happy to be here. Fans chant “yes” as Bryan leans down to get an order from Wyatt. Harper, Bryan and Rowan head to the ring. There are some “yes!” and Bryan chants.
Harper starts off with one of the Usos and they go at it. Harper tags in Bryan to a big pop that dies down quickly. Mysterio also tags in. Rey tells Bryan this is not him. Bryan attacks Rey and lays him out. Bryan with knees to the face and a big running knee to the gut. Rey ends up sending Bryan out to the floor. Bray yells at Bryan to go get Rey as we go to commercial.
We come back and Rowan is in control of Jey Uso. Rowan with a big fallaway slam. Bryan tags back in and they double team Uso. Bryan unloads with kicks as some fans chant “yes.” Bryan chokes Uso on the ropes and hits a running dropkick to the back of the head. Bray laughs from his rocking chair. Rowan tags back in for more double teaming. Rowan runs into a big boot in the corner. Uso nails a superkick and tag in Rey. Rey comes off the top and splashes on Rowan. Rey with the scissors takedown and more shots. Rowan grabs Rey for a powerbomb but Rey counters and drops him for 619. Jimmy tags in as Rey hits 619 on Rowan. Rowan dodges the Superfly Splash from Uso. Bryan tags himself into the match. Harper tags himself in right away and there’s a stare down between the Wyatts. Harper goes to unload but gets rolled up by Uso for the win.
Winners: Rey Mysterio and The Usos
- After the bell, Bray Wyatt hits the ring and The Wyatt Family guards the ring. The Wyatt Family stares down Rey and The Usos as they head to the back.
- Still to come, Roddy Piper will bring The Shield into Piper’s Pit. Also, CM Punk vs. Roman Reigns will be our main event. Back to commercial.
- We see what happened with Damien Sandow and The Great Khali last week. We go backstage to Brad Maddox. He’s with Bob Backlund, Arn Anderson and Sgt. Slaughter. Fans can vote on the WWE App for which Legend will be the special referee for Sandow vs. Khali. They walk off and Kane walks in. Kane asks if Maddox has anything to say to his face. Kane’s not happy about Maddox talking about him last week. Kane’s not going to threaten Maddox because that would be grounds for getting fired, according to the WWE Handbook. Kane teases going back to the monster and says he can make sure Maddox is never seen or heard from again.
- Big E Langston is backstage walking. We see Nikolai Volkoff singing. We see Ted DiBiase, Sr. talking to Aksana. He tells Big E everyone has a price and starts laughing. Irwin R. Schyster appears and reminds us to pay out taxes. Big E walks off laughing. We go to commercial.
Curtis Axel vs. WWE Intercontinental champion Big E Langston in a non-title match
Back from the break and everyone is in the ring for this non-title match. Ryback is on commentary. Ryback catches Axel early on and hits a big backbreaker. Big E misses a shoulder thrust in the corner and hits the ring post. Axel takes advantage and beats Big E down. Axel with a headlock now.
Curtis nails a big dropkick and knocks Big E out of the ring with a running knee. They go on. Ryback provides distraction but Big E still gets the win with The Big Ending.
Winner: Big E Langston
- We see Roddy Piper walking backstage. Back to commercial.
- Back from the break and out comes Roddy Piper to a big pop. Piper hits the ring, which is set up for Piper’s Pit, and the crowd chants his name big time. Piper says he was old school before old school was cool. The Shield’s music interrupts and out comes United States Champion Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins. Ambrose rips on Piper and says he should be thankful The Shield wasn’t around when he was. Piper says this is Piper’s Pit, not Ambrose’s Alley and gets in Ambrose’s face. Piper says only one guy can match him on the mic and that is CM Punk. The crowd pops for Punk’s name.
Piper repeats Punk’s name as the fans chant it. Ambrose gets upset. Rollins calms him down. Rollins says there are no cracks in The Shield. He says Piper is jealous because Ambrose is a better US Champion than Piper ever was. Piper says they couldn’t beat Punk and addresses Roman Reigns. Piper wonders if Reigns beats Punk tonight, does that make him better than the rest of The Shield. Piper tries to stir things up in the group. Reigns stands up and gets in Piper’s face. Reigns says he’s going to beat Punk tonight. He says if Piper ever touches him again, he will break Piper’s old ass in half. They back Piper into the ropes when CM Punk’s music hits. Punk and The New Age Outlaws hit the ring to make the save. Punk and The Outlaws clear the ring and celebrate with Piper.
- Still to come, Punk vs. Reigns in singles action.
- We see footage of the brawl between Mark Henry and Brock Lesnar last week. Lesnar and Paul Heyman will be here later. Back to commercial.
Sin Cara vs. Alberto Del Rio
Back from the break and out comes Sin Cara in new purple, white and gold gear. His opponent Alberto Del Rio is out next.
The bell rings and Del Rio unloads, beating Cara down to the mat. Cara’s blue lighting is being used after it wasn’t over the weekend. Cara with a quick roll up for 2. Cara with more offense and another roll up. Cara with more offense and counters on Del Rio. Del Rio counters with an arm drag and covers for a 2 count. Del Rio with more offense and another pin attempt before going to a headlock. Cara fights back but Del Rio throws him to the mat. Del Rio counters a tornado DDT but gets taken down by a springboard elbow. Cara with a 1 count.
Cara misses a splash from the top. Del Rio takes advantage and superkicks Cara in the face. Del Rio covers for the quick win.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio
- After the match, Del Rio takes the mic and says people should think of him when they talk about the Royal Rumble but everyone is talking about Batista. Del Rio says he will eliminate Batista at the Rumble and go on to win it.
- Voting is open on the WWE App for the special referee for Khali vs. Sandow. Back to commercial.
- Daniel Bryan is backstage with Erick Rowan and Luke Harper. He says he came to this family to learn, to be transformed, he wanted to join. He says he can also teach because he’s been a tag team champion. Bryan wants to team with Rowan or Harper next week. Bray Wyatt appears and says that won’t be necessary because Bryan will be teaming with him.
Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro vs. WWE tag team champions Cody Rhodes and Goldust in a non-title match
We go to the ring and Zeb Colter is out with The Real Americans. Out next comes WWE Tag Team Champions Cody Rhodes and Goldust for a non-title match.
Swagger and Goldust start things off and go at it. Lots of back and forth with quick tags from both teams. Fans chant “we the people” as Cesaro keeps Goldust down with a headlock. Goldust fights out but Cesaro takes him to the corner and tags in Swagger for some double teaming and another pin attempt. Cesaro with another headlock. Cesaro runs into a big boot. Goldust with a hurricanrana out of the corner. Cody tags in and nails a missile dropkick for a 2 count.
Cody drops Cesaro and nails a Disaster Kick on Swagger. Cody turns around to a big uppercut from Cesaro. They send Cody out to the floor as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Swagger is in control of Cody. During the break, Cesaro hit a Cesaro Swing on Cody. Swagger with a big slam and a Swagger Bomb out of the corner. Cesaro tags in and does a double team stomp on Cody’s chest for a 2 count. Swagger keeps Cody grounded again. Cesaro tags in for more double teaming but Cody counters. He dumps Cesaro and Swagger to the floor. Cesaro runs in and knocks Goldust off the apron, stopping a tag. Cody backdrops Cesaro but has nobody to tag. Cesaro with an uppercut to the back of the head and a roll up for 2.
Cesaro charges in the corner but misses, hitting the turnbuckle Swagger comes in and blocks a Disaster Kick, slamming Cody. Swagger goes for the Patriot Lock but Cody fights it. Swagger gets it locked. Cody crawls for the bottom rope but Swagger pulls him back. Goldust runs in and breaks the hold. Goldust tags in and unloads on Swagger. Goldust with a big spinebuster. Goldust pulls Cesaro in the ring and goes up top for a crossbody on both men. It’s chaos as Swagger and Goldust are the legal men. Goldust gets the pin on Swagger for the win.
Winners: Cody Rhodes and Goldust
- Diamond Dallas Page is backstage stretching when Booker T walks in. DDP plugs his DDP Yoga program, as does Booker. DDP brings out his DVD and shows it off. He says it will have Booker doing the spinarooni better than ever. DDP shows Booker a move. Booker shows DDP a move from Booker T Yoga and jokes that he’s pulled a muscle. Ron Simmons walks up and we get a big, “DAMN!”
The Great Khali vs. Damien Sandow
Back from the break and out comes Ranjin Singh with The Great Khali as Damien Sandow waits in the ring. Fans voted on the WWE App and the special referee for this match will be Sgt. Slaughter, as announced by JBL at ringside. Slaughter won with 55% of the vote and out he comes.
They go at it after the bell. Khali takes Sandow to the corner and beats him down. Khali stomps away now. Khali with a big chop to the chest. Sandow finally fights back and unloads on Khali in the corner. Sandow argues with Slaughter and goes back to work on Khali. Khali shoves him to the mat and drops him with an elbow to the face. Khali drops Sandow again and clotheslines him twice. Khali lays Sandow out again and covers him for the pin. This time, Sandow’s leg was on the bottom rope so it looks like we’re in for another rematch.
Winner: The Great Khali
- After the bell, Sandow argues with Slaughter about his foot being on the ropes. Sandow shoves Slaughter. Slaughter shoves him back and locks him in the Camel Clutch. Sandow goes out and Slaughter kicks him out of the ring before raising Khali’s arm. Slaughter goes to leave but Khali brings him back in the ring to dance.
- We see Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman walking backstage. Back to commercial.
- Back from commercial and out comes Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman.
Lesnar introduces himself and Lesnar, calling Lesnar the #1 contender for the WWE World Heavyweight Title. Heyman says Lesnar has some problems with the term “old school.” Lesnar thinks it means when one man reigns supreme and destroys the entire locker room to be the man. Like back in the day, Bruno Sammartino reigned supreme and everyone wanted a piece of him. That was old school. Hulk Hogan, the same thing goes for him. Heyman also mentions Steve Austin. Heyman says today, one man reigns supreme and is the champion but after the Royal Rumble, it won’t matter if it’s Cena or Orton because their time will be very limited. Heyman says Lesnar is coming for the title. Heyman says there’s nobody in WWE, MMA or professional sports that can compete with Lesnar. Heyman talks about Lesnar destroying Mark Henry last week.
Heyman goes on and here comes Mark Henry for revenge. Henry’s shoulder and ribs are taped up under his shirt. Henry hits the ring and they start brawling. Henry backs Lesnar up but Lesnar comes back with knees to the gut. Lesnar drops Henry and applies the kimura lock. Lesnar snaps Henry’s arm back, apparently breaking it. Heyman raises Lesnar’s arm up and his music hits. They leave the ring as trainers come in to check on Henry. As they’re going to the back, Big Show’s music hits and out he comes.
Show slowly walks and stares at Lesnar, backing him towards the ring. Lesnar gets in the ring and tells Show to bring it. Show enters the ring and goes at Lesnar but Lesnar leaves. The fans boo as Heyman and Lesnar look at Show from outside the ring. Show just continues to give Lesnar a nasty look. Heyman gets on the apron, distracting Show. Lesnar hits the ring but Show catches him. Show tosses Lesnar all the way across the ring and out of it, shocking Lesnar. Heyman tries to keep Lesnar in control and stop him from going back to the ring. Lesnar looks to be limping as we go to replays. Show’s music hits as Lesnar and Heyman make their way to the back.
- We get a look back at Randy Orton, John Cena and Ric Flair in the opening segment tonight. Still to come, Punk vs. Reigns in the main event. Back to commercial.
The Bella Twins vs. Aksana and Alicia Fox
We go to the ring and out come The Bella Twins while Aksana and Alicia Fox wait in the ring. Alicia starts off with Nikki and they go at it.
Nikki ends up getting thrown out of the ring after being in control. She slaps Alicia on her way back in the ring. Alicia works on Nikki’s bad leg and gets a 2 count. Aksana tags in and keeps up the attack on Nikki. Nikki finally turns it around and tags in Brie. Brie unloads and dropkicks Aksana. Brie misses a splash from the second rope. Askana takes advantage and covers Brie for the win.
Winners: Aksana and Alicia Fox
- More hype for the big WWE announcement on Wednesday.
- We see Too Cool backstage walking to the ring. Back to commercial.
Too Cool vs. 3MB
Back from the break and Heath Slater has returned. He’s out with Jinder Mahal and Drew McIntyre. Out next comes Rikishi, Scotty 2 Hotty and “Grandmaster Sexay” Brian Christopher for a six-man match.
Jinder and Christopher start things off going at it. Christopher hits a missile dropkick from the corner. Christopher hits a big bulldog and tags in Scotty. They double team Jinder. McIntyre tags in and goes at it with Scotty. Scotty with the big faceplant and The Worm but McIntyre lays him out with a big boot. Jinder comes back in for some double teaming and a 2 count on Scotty. Fans chant for Rikishi to come in.
McIntyre with a suplex and a 2 count on Scotty. Scotty nails a neckbreaker and tags in Rikishi as Jinder comes in. Rikishi unloads on Jinder with right hands. Rikishi tosses McIntyre over the top. Slater comes in but rolls out of the ring on his own. Rikishi goes for a pin but McIntyre breaks it. McIntyre and Mahal double team Rikishi until he clotheslines them both. Christopher with the big leg drop from the top. McIntyre goes for a roll up on Rikishi but Rikishi splashes down on him for the win.
Winners: Too Cool
- After the match, Too Cool dances in the ring.
- We come back from commercial and all the Legends are brought out for an applause and introduction – The Godfather, Ric Flair, Diamond Dallas page, Ron Simmons, Too /Cool, Bob Backlund, Money Inc., Arn Anderson, Booker T, Nikolai Volkoff, Sgt. Slaughter, Roddy Piper and Ted DiBiase, Sr. The music hits, the podium rises high in the air with Bad News Barrett, who rips the Legends for being wash-ups. Back to commercial.
- Back from the break and out comes Mean Gene Okerlund. Gene does his old school hotline promo. Gene introduces The New Age Outlaws. They hit the ring and do their usual promo before introducing CM Punk.
CM Punk vs. Roman Reigns
The Outlaws will be at ringside to provide support for Punk. Out next comes The Shield.
Reigns and Punk lock up to start. Reigns overpowers Punk but they trade holds. Punk takes Reigns down with a headlock and keeps him grounded. Reigns fights to his feet and drops Punk with a big shoulder. They stare each other down as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and they’re going at it on the apron. Reigns sends Punk flying into the ring post and he falls out to the floor. Rollins, Ambrose and The Outlaws have words outside the ring. Punk comes back in and Reigns keeps control, keeping Punk grounded and working on his ribs. Reigns with a big slam for another 2 count.
Reigns drops a big elbow for another 2 count on Punk. Punk rolls out of the way and Reigns lands hard. Punk fights back out of the corner and nails a crossbody but can’t hold the pin. Punk goes for the running knee in the corner but Reigns catches him and applies a bear hug. Reigns with a big Samoan Drop for another 2 count. Reigns readies for the Superman punch but Punk moves out of the way. Punk drops Reigns with a big kick to the head. More words between The NAO and Rollins and Ambrose on the floor. Punk with more kicks on Reigns now.
Punk unloads on Reigns with clotheslines and a neckbreaker but Reigns kicks out at 1. Punk with another running knee and another pin attempt. Punk with another high knee and an elbow for 2. Punk goes to the top but Reigns cuts him off with big right hands. Reigns climbs up for a superplex but Punk fights him off and sends him to the mat. Punk nails the big elbow drop from up high. Punk calls for GTS. Ambrose gets on the apron but Road Dogg pulls him off. Ambrose sends Dogg into the steel steps. Billy Gunn clotheslines Ambrose but runs into Rollins. Punk leaps out and takes out Rollins. Punk springboards back into the ring but Reigns meets him in mid-air with a Superman punch for a very close 2 count. Reigns readies for a spear but Punk moves out of the way. Punk with a roll up for 2. Fans chant “this is awesome” as they get to their feet. Punk nails a huge kick to the head for another close pin attempt. Punk goes for GTS again but Reigns fights out with elbows to the face. Punk with another running knee. Punk knocks Ambrose off the apron but turns around to a huge spear for the win.
Winner: Roman Reigns
- After the match, Rollins and Ambrose hit the ring and they are pumped to celebrate with Reigns. The music hits and out comes Jake “The Snake” Roberts with his snake in the bag. The Outlaws and Punk get up to clean house of The Shield. Punk spins around and nails a big GTS on Ambrose. Jake enters the ring and dumps the snake out on Ambrose. Jake rubs the snake in Ambrose’s face and lets it crawl around for a second. Rollins and Reigns leave the ring as Jake plays with his snake and RAW goes off the air.