WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Date: August 26, 2013
Commentators: Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, and JBL
Tonight’s WWE RAW kicks off from Phoenix, Arizona with The Shield standing guard in front of the ring. Triple H’s music hits and out he comes in a suit.
Triple H stops and smiles at The Shield before heading to the ring. Triple H shows us footage from SummerSlam where Randy Orton became WWE Champion by cashing in. Triple H says that was business, nothing personal at all. He shows us footage from last week’s RAW where The Shield beat Daniel Bryan down in front of the McMahons and then hit with a RKO from Orton. Triple H says that was personal. Triple H says Bryan insulted his wife and family so that’s the personal response he gets for it. Triple H says he’s willing to be the bigger man and move on. Triple H says ratings and social media buzz were through the roof last week – business is booming and it’s all due to Randy Orton, the new face of WWE. Triple H brings Orton out to the ring.
Triple H congratulates Orton on breathing new life into WWE and the WWE Title. Triple H liked to reward people who excel. He got Orton a little gift. Triple H wants to make it clear that he did it out of his own pocket. A new Cadillac Escalade is brought into the arena. Orton thanks Triple H and thanks him for realizing he’s the only one fit to be the face of WWE. Orton goes to check out his new Cadillac but here comes Daniel Bryan to the stage. Bryan talks about how sweet the new Cadillac is and says it’s well deserved. Bryan has some thank you’s of his own. He thanks the WWE Universe for believing in him and supporting him. Bryan thanks John Cena for giving him the chance to main event SummerSlam for the WWE Title. Bryan then thanks Triple H for showing his true colors and proving that his view about what’s best for business and what the WWE Champion should look like is more narrow-minded than Vince McMahon. Bryan says Triple H is nothing but a sell-out in a suit now. Bryan cracks on Triple H’s extra-large nose. Orton tells Bryan to show them both respect. Bryan says the face of WWE is going to get re-arranged at Night of Champions. Bryan declares he will become the new WWE Champion and gets a “yes” chant going. Triple H rips Bryan and says he’s a “B” at best. Triple H announces Bryan vs. Seth Rollins for tonight. If he makes it through that, Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose. And if he makes it through those two, he will have to face Roman Reigns.
- The announcers show us footage from CM Punk and Curtis Axel from last week’s RAW. Still to come tonight, Punk vs. Axel in singles action. Fans can vote for the stipulation on the WWE App – Paul Heyman banned from ringside, Heyman as special referee or Heyman will be forced to step in the ring with Punk if Punk wins. We go to commercial.
Cody Rhodes vs. Fandango
Back from the break and Cody Rhodes is in the ring as Damien Sandow joins commentary. Out comes Fandango dancing with Summer Rae.
During the match, Fandango’s music hits and out comes The Miz dressed like him on the stage. Miz mocks Fandango and dances with Rosa Mendes it looks like. Cody rolls a distracted Fandango up for the win.
Winner: Cody Rhodes
- After the match, Sandow attacks Rhodes and Miz tosses Fandango from the ring. RAW General Manager Brad Maddox comes out and makes a tag match.
Cody Rhodes and The Miz vs. Fandango and Damien Sandow
The match is about to start as we go to commercial.
The end comes when Fandango and Summer Rae walk off. Cody and Miz double team Sandow. Miz hits a Skull Crushing Finale for the win.
Winners: The Miz and Cody Rhodes
- After the match, Fandango says his own name from the stage and dances around with Summer as we go to replays.
- Still to come, Punk vs. Axel with fans picking the stipulations.
- Back from the break and we get a vignette for Los Matadores.
- Josh Mathews is backstage with Christian. He’s asked about Triple H but Randy Orton interrupts. They have words and will face later tonight.
- We see footage from the WWE App where CM Punk was talking about the available stipulations. Punk wants Heyman in the ring. We cut to Heyman and Axel backstage. Axel says Punk will have to out-wrestle him tonight and he can’t do that. Axel says the situation is better than perfect. Heyman doesn’t seem so sure. Back to another commercial.
WWE Intercontinental champion Curtis Axel vs. CM Punk (non-title)
Back from the break and WWE Intercontinental Champion Curtis Axel waits in the ring for this non-title match. Out next comes CM Punk to a big pop. Paul Heyman comes out to the stage as Jerry Lawler reveals the stipulation. If Punk wins, Heyman must get in the ring with him. The bell rings and here we go.
Heyman looks on from the stage as Punk and Axel go at it. Punk keeps control and goes for a quick roll up. Axel slides out of a GTS and goes to the floor to re-group. Punk runs up the ramp at Heyman but Axel comes from behind and fights him back to the ring. Axel works Punk over and brings him back into the ring. Axel with more offense and a 2 count. Punk turns it around and drops Axel. Punk goes up for the big elbow drop but Axel rolls out of the ring. Punk with a suicide dive out onto the floor as Heyman looks on. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and they’re going at it. Axel with a big clothesline to the back of the head for a 2 count. Axel with a big dropkick to the jaw for a 2 count. Punk with kicks. Axel blocks and catapults Punk to the second rope. Punk comes back with a crossbody and 2 count. Axel ducks the roundhouse kick. More back and forth. Punk comes back and nails the elbow from up high. Axel blocks GTS and hits his finisher for a close 2 count. Punk nails a GTS for the win.
Winner: CM Punk
- After the match, Heyman looks shocked as Punk gets ready to fight. Heyman walks off to the back but he’s met by WWE referees, who bring him back to ringside. Punk waits for Heyman to come to the ring to fight. Punk leaves the ring and Heyman runs to the back. Heyman walks up the ramp but this time security brings Heyman to Punk. Punk rolls him in the ring but Axel makes the save with a low blow. Heyman hands Axel a pair of handcuffs and Punk’s arms are put behind his back as the crowd boos. Axel holds Punk while Heyman yells and smacks him. Punk sits on his knees as they taunt him. Punk jumps up and drops Axel with a roundhouse. He kicks Heyman’s leg out and goes to work on him with kicks. Axel makes the save from behind. Axel works Punk over and brings in a kendo stick. Axel hands the kendo stick to Heyman and he nails Punk. Axel holds Punk up on the ropes and Heyman wails away with the stick. Axel pulls Punk out of the ring and throws him into the announcers table. More trash talking and punches from Axel. Heyman comes out of the ring and hits Punk with several more kendo stick shots. Heyman yells that Punk broke his heart. A “walrus” chant breaks out in the crowd as a WWE doctor checks on Punk. We go to commercial.
- We get a look at CM Punk walking away during the break.
- Total Diva Jo Jo is in the ring to announce the next match.
Natalya vs. Brie Bella
Natalya comes out first with Cameron and Naomi by her side. Out next comes Brie Bella with Eva Marie and Nikki Bella.
Typical back and forth Divas match. The rest of the Total Divas get involved and break up a Sharpshooter. Brie takes advantage and gets the win.
Winner: Brie Bella
- After the match, Divas Champion AJ Lee comes out to the stage. She talks about watching last night’s episode of Total Divas. She mocks all of them. AJ says she sees nothing but a bunch of useless, interchangeable, talentless women. AJ says she has done more in 1 year than all of them combined. AJ says she worked her life for this while they were just handed 15 minutes of fame. AJ says she didn’t suck up to the right people. She got here because she’s good. She earned the title. AJ says none of them will ever be able to lace up her Chuck Taylors and that gets a pop. She calls them worthless excuses for women. She says they will never be able to touch her and that is reality. AJ drops the mic and skips away.
- We see Rob Van Dam and Ricardo Rodriguez backstage warming up. Back to commercial.
Rob Van Dam vs. WWE world heavyweight champion Alberto Del Rio (non-title)
Back from the break and out comes Ricardo Rodriguez to introduce Rob Van Dam. RVD is out first for this non-title match. Out next comes World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio. Ricardo takes off his coat to reveal a RVD t-shirt.
Lots of back and forth to start. RVD sends Del Rio out to the floor and we take another commercial break.
Back from the break and RVD fights out of a hold. It’s revealed that if RVD can win this, Brad Maddox is giving him a title shot at Night of Champions. Del Rio with a double stomp to the back. He mocks RVD now. Del Rio comes off the top but RVD cuts him off with a kick. RVD with clotheslines now. RVD nails Rolling Thunder but Del Rio kicks out at 2. Del Rio fights back but RVD sends him to the mat. RVD with a split legged moonsault for 2. More back and forth. Ricardo stands on the announce table and distracts RVD. RVD rolls Del Rio up for the win and the title shot.
Winner: Rob Van Dam
- We get a look back at John Cena telling fans he needed surgery and won’t be back for another 4-6 months. We get a Cena Twitter update.
- Still to come, Daniel Bryan vs. The Shield in a Gauntlet Match. Back to commercial.
- Josh Mathews is backstage with Ryback. Mathews brings up Ryback’s recent bullying. Ryback grabs Mathews by his face and brings him to his knees. Ryback says he finally found a way to shut Mathews up and pushes him away by his face.
- We see footage from earlier with what happened between Heyman, Axel and Punk.
- Renee Young approaches Heyman and Axel backstage. She asks if Heyman was afraid earlier tonight. Axel says what happened was something Punk will never forget. Heyman says Punk is a child who just needs to keep getting punished, and punished, and punished, and punished. Heyman says he feels like a man right now, a man who put his prodigal son in place. Heyman says Punk will learn that he’s the last person to come up against. They get in a car and drive off.
Christian vs. WWE champion Randy Orton (non-title)
We go to the ring and out comes Christian to a nice reaction. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes WWE Champion Randy Orton for another non-title match. The bell rings and Christian goes for an early roll up. Back and forth action until Orton takes control. They fight on the apron and Christian dumps Orton to the floor. Christian with a diving shot that sends Orton back into the barrier. Christian works Orton over and brings him back in the ring. Christian with the inverted neckbreaker for a 2 count. Christian goes to the top but Orton moves. Orton with a big dropkick.
Orton keeps control and sends Christian back out to the floor. Orton brings the fight back into the ring and keeps Christian grounded. Christian fights out but has Killswitch blocked. Orton with more offense and a 2 count. Orton ends up pushing Christian hard from the top out to the floor. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Orton is in control in the middle of the ring with a headlock. Christian fights out and starts to make a comeback. They trade shots in the corner. Orton climbs up for a superplex and nails it. Christian with a roll up for 2 out of nowhere. Lots of back and forth now. Christian ducks a RKO and mounts Orton with right hands in the corner. Christian fights back and nails a big crossbody for a close 2 count. Christian comes back off the top but Orton catches him with a jackknife pin for 2. More back and forth. Orton blocks Killswitch but catches a tornado DDT for a 2 count. Orton nails the draping DDT from the ropes. Christian blocks the RKO. Orton leaps over a spear but Christian nails the next one for a 2 count. Another RKO is blocked. Orton blocks Killswitch and sneaks in a thumb to the eye. Orton nails a RKO for the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
- After the match, Bryan appears on the big screen and congratulates Orton. Bryan is backstage in front of the Cadillac that Orton received from Triple H earlier in the night. Bryan wonders if he is the new face of WWE if he defeats Orton at Night of Champions. Bryan steps to the side to reveal “yes” spray painted all over the Escalade. Orton flips out in the ring and we go to commercial.
- Back from the break and Triple H, Maddox and Orton are looking at the spray-painted Escalade. Maddox points out everyone is laughing at Triple H and Orton. Triple H says this Cadillac is his personal property. Triple H says the WWE Title is also his property and Orton is carrying it for him. Triple H orders Maddox to gather the WWE roster to watch what happens to Bryan tonight. Triple H will fire anyone who dares to help. Orton says Bryan is going to pay and Triple H agrees.
Titus O’Neil vs. Jack Swagger
We go to the ring and out first comes Darren Young with Titus O’Neil. Out next comes Zeb Colter with Jack Swagger. Colter talks about The Prime Time Players have stolen victories from the Real Americans lately. Zeb takes a shot at Titus and Young’s mothers for being on welfare. Swagger and Titus go at it to start the match.
Good back and forth match. Titus blocks the ankle lock. Young gets involved and distracts Swagger and Cesaro. Swagger turns around to a spinebuster from Titus for the win.
Winner: Titus O’Neil
- We get a look back at SummerSlam where Kane lost the Ring of Fire match against Bray Wyatt. The Wyatts will speak next. Back to commercial.
- Back from the break and they air a WWE.com video from Bray Wyatt and The Wyatt Family. Bray talks about Sister Abigail, the name of his finishing move.
- We see footage from tonight of what has happened with Randy Orton’s Cadillac that Triple H bought for him.
- Brad Maddox is backstage with the doctor. Apparently CM Punk is refusing medical attention. Punk walks in and wants a match with Heyman. Maddox announces a Handicap Elimination Match for Night of Champions – Punk vs. Heyman and Axel.
- The WWE roster begins to gather on the stage for tonight’s main event. We go to commercial.
- We get another vignette for Los Matadores.
Gauntlet Match: Daniel Bryan vs. The Shield
The WWE roster is on the stage as Daniel Bryan makes his way out first.
Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins
Out next comes one-half of the WWE Tag Team Champions Seth Rollins through the crowd with his partners. Renee Young is on the stage talking to Big Show about the Triple H regime. Show refuses to speak this week. She goes to Dolph Ziggler for comment and he won’t speak either. She goes to The Miz for comment but he doesn’t want to get fired either.
Bryan with an early surfboard submission as Reigns and Ambrose look on from ringside. Good back and forth match. Bryan with clotheslines and kicks while Rollins is on his knees. Bryan misses a roundhouse kick and Ambrose turns it around on the apron. Rollins springboards in but Bryan cuts him off and applies the half crab. Rollins makes it to the ropes and breaks the hold. Bryan sends Rollins to the floor and nails a suicide dive, causing Rollins to land hard on the other side of the announce table. Bryan works Rollins over as the fans chant “yes” and we go to commercial.
: Back from the break and Rollins is in control, keeping Bryan on the mat. Rollins smacks Bryan around and hits another flying elbow in the corner. Bryan looks to make a comeback but Rollins drops him in the corner again. Rollins tells him to stay down and smacks him some more. Bryan nails a dropkick in the corner out of nowhere. Bryan comes back and trades shots with Rollins. They trade pin attempts now. Rollins with a big kick to the head. Big inverted suplex by Rollins but Bryan kicks out at 2. Rollins with more offense in the corner. Bryan climbs up for a super German and drops Rollins on his face from up high. Bryan drops Rollins again for the pin.
Daniel Bryan vs. WWE United States champion Dean Ambrose (non-title)
Ambrose comes right in and goes to work on Bryan. Bryan gets the Yes Lock applied early on but Roman Reigns interferes for the bell, disqualifying Ambrose
Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns
The third match doesn’t last as The Shield beat Bryan down with the triple team. The WWE roster looks on from the stage. Triple H’s music hits and out he comes, staring at some of the talents. He locks eyes with Big Show but Show just looks away. The Shield drops Bryan with the triple powerbomb. Triple H is still daring anyone to help Bryan. Here comes Randy Orton next. Triple H sends Orton to the ring to get revenge on Bryan. The Shield holds Bryan while Orton approaches. Orton taunts Bryan and nails a RKO while fans chant for Big Show. We see Show looking angrily at Triple H. Orton heads back up the ramp as Bryan is left laying at the feet of The Shield. Orton holds the WWE Title up high from the ramp. Triple H dares the roster to laugh now. RAW goes off the air with The Shield standing over Bryan.