WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: Nashville, TN
Date: February 29, 2016
Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with a look back at last week when WWE World Heavyweight Champion Triple H destroyed Roman Reigns.
– We’re live from Nashville, Tennessee as the pyro goes off and Michael Cole welcomes us. He’s joined by JBL and Byron Saxton.
– We go right to the ring and out comes Triple H in a suit.
Triple H talks about how everyone has an authority figure in their life that they don’t challenge because they’re afraid. He says that fear is not a bad thing; it’s what keeps things in place. He says nature provides you with that fear so you will know your place in life. Fans boo. He says Roman Reigns should have listened to that fear, he should have known his place but he didn’t. He chose to challenge authority and disrespect authority. He chose to challenge Triple H and disrespect Triple H. Triple H says Reigns is sitting at home right now hoping his WrestleMania spot still exists. He goes on but is interrupted by the music of Dean Ambrose. Out he comes to a pop.
Ambrose limps into the ring and goes to speak but fans cheer. They chant his name now. Ambrose says he just got off the phone with Reigns. He says hi and he’s coming for Triple H. Triple H mocks their “bromance” and Ambrose says he wanted to have this talk last week but he got mauled by a grizzly bear in the parking lot, then he was driving an ambulance and challenging Brock Lesnar. He talks about the other stuff that happened last week and fans start chanting for Shane McMahon. Ambrose asks Triple H if he likes Shane or not and Triple H brushes it off. Ambrose asks Triple H who he wanted to win the Triple Threat at Fastlane, or better yet… who did he not want to win. Triple H says Ambrose is wasting his time. He says Reigns and Lesnar are the only ones that meant anything in that Triple Threat. He says it was clear Ambrose was never a factor. Ambrose gets in Triple H‘s face.
Ambrose knows Triple H forgets about the little people sometimes but he’s Dean Ambrose and he’s the last person Triple H wanted to face at WrestleMania 32. Triple H laughs at him and asks if he really is mental. Ambrose wonders why everyone keeps saying that. Ambrose says Triple H is smart enough to know he can’t beat him. Fans chant for Ambrose now. He says he can see it in Triple H‘s face and body, he can read Triple H like a self-help book. He can even smell it on him… he says Triple H doesn’t believe he can beat Ambrose. Triple H says the unfamiliar smell is probably laundry detergent and clean clothes, or something else Ambrose doesn’t have… money and power. A “you can’t beat him” chant starts up now. Ambrose challenges Triple H to a title match tonight. Ambrose wants to find out if he’s just talking crazy and wants to find out right now. Triple H says Ambrose can’t just walk out with a crazy idea and make it happen. Triple H says this does intrigue him and he will think about it to see if it’s best for business. He will give Ambrose an answer by the end of the night. Triple H was going to give Ambrose the night off because of Lesnar beating him up but he changed his mind. He books Ambrose vs. Alberto Del Rio with the rest of the League of Nations at ringside to see if Ambrose will learn to respect authority. Triple H exits the ring and we go to the announcers.
– Still to come, The Undertaker. Also, Vince McMahon and Stephanie McMahon will be here. We see Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks walking backstage. Back to commercial.
#1 contenders match: Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks
Back from the break and out comes Becky Lynch to a pop. Sasha Banks is out next, also to a good reaction. We see Ric Flair and WWE Divas Champion Charlotte sitting at ringside.
They go at it and Sasha connects with the first takedown. Sasha avoids an early Disarm Her attempts. Dueling chants by the fans now. They trade several holds and pin attempts before coming to a stalemate as fans cheer. Sasha tosses Becky to the floor but she lands on her feet. They tangle on the floor and Becky comes off the apron and nails Sasha. Becky brings it back in but Sasha knees her in the face and pulls her into the ring post. We go to commercial with Sasha in control.
Back from the break and Sasha misses knees in the corner. Becky with the exploder suplex for a 2 count. More back and forth on the mat. Sasha with running knees to the face for a 2 count. Becky unloads with forearms. Sasha with a backslide. Sasha counters a tilt-a-whirl and knocks Becky down on the apron. Becky with a kick to the face. Becky goes up top but Sasha runs up. Becky pushes her back to the mat and nails a dropkick for a 2 count.
Becky drops Sasha with an elbow. They end up top again. Sasha brings Becky down with a sunset flip. The referee counts the double pin.
– After the match, the referee informs Lilian Garcia that all four shoulders were down, resulting in a double pin. The match was called a draw. Everyone looks confused as The Flairs make their exit and Becky and Sasha look on from the ring.
The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler
Back from the break and out comes Dolph Ziggler as The Miz looks on. We see their segment from last week’s RAW pre-show that led to this match. Ziggler with early pin attempts and a neckbreaker into a 2 count. Ziggler with a dropkick and splash in the corner. Ziggler with another neckbreaker and an elbow drop for a 2 count. Miz catches a superkick. Ziggler blocks the Skull Crushing Finale and splashes Miz in the corner. Miz rolls Ziggler up out of the corner after he hit the turnbuckle for the quick win.
Winner: The Miz
– We get a promo from Bray Wyatt backstage.
– Still to come, AJ Styles and Chris Jericho vs. WWE Tag Team Champions the New Day. Also, a look at Shane McMahon‘s return. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get a look at Shane McMahon returning in the middle of Stephanie McMahon accepting the Vincent J. McMahon Legacy of Excellence Award last week.
– Stephanie McMahon is backstage walking to the ring. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and the Vincent J. McMahon Legacy of Excellence Award is on display in the ring. Stephanie McMahon makes her way out.
She says last week was her proudest moment until her brother interrupted. She’s going to finish her acceptance speech and would appreciate it if everyone gave her the respect she deserves. Fans chant Shane O’ Mac. She says he’s not here, just like he won’t be here after he loses to The Undertaker at WrestleMania. Stephanie starts her speech and the boos get louder. Stephanie doesn’t look happy. Fans chant “we want Shane” now. She clutches the award and starts about how she sacrifices family time but gets this in return from the fans. She tips the podium over. She goes on about fans chanting for Shane and Shane blackmailing her father. She points out how Shane hasn’t even been to a WrestleMania. She says he abandoned the company. She says he doesn’t care about her grandfather or her own family. She says she loves her brother but she doesn’t respect him because he always stabs her in the back when she lets her guard down. She says it eats Shane alive that she’s married to Triple H and because she has so much power in this business. She brings up how Shane said his sons are in line to take over WWE one day. She says they will have to fight for it like her daughters will. She says the idea of working for Shane makes her want to vomit. She says Taker is going to dismember Shane at WrestleMania and then he can take a permanent vacation. She starts ripping into the crowd and they boo her. She says soon, everyone will have to bow down to the King Triple H and the Queen, her. She drops the mic and raises the award with the WrestleMania sign in the background. Stephanie leaves as her music hits.
– Still to come, The Undertaker.
The Lucha Dragons vs. Sheamus and Rusev
Back from the break Sin Cara is in the ring with WWE United States Champion Kalisto. The League of Nations comes out next. Sheamus and Rusev will be in action. Alberto Del Rio and King Barrett look on from ringside. Sheamus and Cara go at it to start things off. Cara with a crossbody to take Sheamus down early on. Cara with a 2 count and a dropkick to send Rusev to the floor. Sheamus with the Irish Curse backbreaker on Cara.
Sheamus tosses Cara to the floor and The League tosses him into the barrier while the referee is distracted. Rusev comes in and brings Cara in the ring to keep control. Rusev keeps Cara grounded as fans chant for Lana. Sheamus tags in and stomps on Cara. Sheamus unloads with forearms to the chest on the apron. Sheamus taunts Cara and talks trash. Cara fights back but Sheamus slams him for a 2 count. Sheamus works on the arm now. Sheamus runs into a boot in the corner. Cara with a tornado DDT.
Rusev and Kalisto come in at the same time. Kalisto unloads and covers for a 2 count as Sheamus breaks the pin. Cara sends Sheamus to the floor and dives out onto Barrett. Sheamus nails a Brogue Kick on Cara on the floor. Kalisto leaps out onto Sheamus from the top. Del Rio distracts Kalisto on the apron. Kalisto turns around to a big kick from Rusev for the win.
Winners: Rusev and Sheamus
– After the match, Del Rio turns Kalisto upside down in the corner and nails the stomp. The League goes back to celebrating.
– We see footage from earlier today with Renee Young and Natalya filming a commercial backstage for Subway.
– Still to come, The Undertaker. Also, Vince McMahon will be here. We get a look back at Triple H opening RAW and Dean Ambrose interrupting him. Also, our main event – Ambrose vs. Del Rio. Back to commercial.
Ryback vs. Adam Rose
Back from the break and out comes Ryback. We get a sidebar video from earlier with Ryback talking about how he deserves to shine on his own. If the WWE spotlight isn’t given to him, he will take it. We see The Social Outcasts at ringside.
Ryback overpowers early on as fans chant Goldberg. Rose makes a comeback after Ryback dominates. Rose with a dropkick for a 2 count. Rose keeps on as Heath Slater, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas cheer him on. Ryback snaps and unloads on Rose with strikes as the referee tries to pull him off. Ryback nails Shellshocked for the win.
– After the bell, Ryback quickly leaves and walks to the back.
– We get a look back at Brock Lesnar attacking Dean Ambrose last week.
WWE tag team champions The New Day vs. Chris Jericho and AJ Styles in a non-title match
We go to the ring and out come WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day for this non-title match. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and The New Day is talking about how they are the most successful group in WWE history because they are a brotherhood. Big E is interrupted by Chris Jericho‘s pyro. Out he comes to a pop. AJ Styles it out next, also to a big pop. Jericho starts things off with Kofi Kingston and they go at it. Jericho with a nice dropkick and chops into the corner. Styles tags in and they double team Kofi. Big E runs in but they toss him to the floor with Kofi. Styles and Jericho leap out onto their opponents as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and the champs stomp away on Styles as Xavier Woods runs his mouth at ringside. Styles ends up dropped face first on the apron. Kofi brings Styles back in and covers for a 2 count. Big E comes in, runs the ropes and nails the splash but Styles kicks out at 2. Styles ends up countering and nailing a Pele kick Jericho tags in as does Kofi. Jericho with shoulder tackles Kofi throws him to the apron. Jericho goes to the top with the ax handle. Jericho with a running enziguri and a running bulldog. Jericho with a springboard kick to send Woods off the apron. Kofi comes back after another close 2 count.
Jericho avoids a dropkick and nails the Lionsault but Big E breaks the pin. Big E throws Jericho into the ring post. Styles springboards in with a forearm on Big E, sending him to the floor. Kofi clotheslines Styles to the floor. Jericho turns around and blocks Trouble In Paradise. Jericho gets the Walls of Jericho locked in for the non-title win.
Winners: Chris Jericho and AJ Styles
– After the match, The New Day is leaving when Styles takes the mic. He says this win puts Y2AJ at the top of the list for the WWE Tag Team Titles. Fans cheer. Jericho says Y2AJ is a thing and they are the new big thing in WWE. Jericho challenges The New Day to a title match for next week’s RAW. Jericho says after next week, the titles, The New Day, Y2AJ, WrestleMania and everything else will never, ever be the same.
– Still to come, Triple H‘s answer for Dean Ambrose. Also, Ambrose vs. Alberto Del Rio and The Undertaker’s return. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Vince McMahon to a mild reception. He’s not happy with the reaction and asks fans if that’s all they have for him. He goes on about how Shane McMahon winning at WrestleMania 32 would be bad for WWE. Vince says he loves his son enough to teach him a lesson he will never forget. Vince calls The Undertaker his instrument of destruction. Vince introduces Taker and the lights go out and the bells toll as Taker makes his grand entrance.
Taker gets a big pop as he finally appears. Vince looks on as The Deadman marches to the ring. Taker enters the ring and looks up at the WrestleMania sign, then back at Vince. Fans chant for him. Vince says, “That’s right, he’s my force of destruction, he does…” Taker grabs Vince by the throat. Taker says Vince knows what’s going to happen when he closes that door behind him at WrestleMania. Taker says Vince knows what he does and the blood of his son will be on Vince’s own hands, not Taker’s. Taker’s music hits and he leaves. That was a very quick segment. Taker’s music finally stops and Vince takes the mic. Vince says the reality is that he will be standing in the ring the night after WrestleMania and Shane will have failed him as a son by losing to The Undertaker. Vince says he’s going to write Shane out of his will and give it all to Stephanie. Vince says this pains him to say but he will renounce Shane as his son. He says Shane will no longer be his son from the heart; he will just be a son of a bitch. Vince’s music hits as he stands with the WrestleMania banner in the background. Vince looks out around the crowd and acts conflicted about Shane no longer being his son. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get a look at The Dudley Boyz and The Usos.
Jey Uso vs. Bubba Ray Dudley
We go to the ring and out come The Usos. The Dudley Boyz are out next.
Uso strikes first with a dropkick in the corner. He goes to work on Bubba. Bubba comes out of the corner and runs Uso over. Bubba rips Uso’s shirt off and chops him in the chest. Bubba talks trash and Uso rocks him with a right hand. More physical back and forth. Uso nails a superkick. D-Von Dudley brings a table from under the ring as a distraction. Jimmy Uso runs around and jumps off the steps to hit D-Von but he gets smacked with the table instead. Bubba takes advantage of the distraction and hits the Full Nelson Slam on a distracted Uso for the win.
Winner: Bubba Ray Dudley
– We get another backstage segment with R-Truth telling Goldust he’s not interested. Goldust walks off with his feelings hurt.
– Still to come, Triple H‘s answer for Ambrose. Also, Ambrose vs. Del Rio in the main event. Up next, Kevin Owens vs. Big Show. Back to commercial.
WWE Intercontinental champion Kevin Owens vs. Big Show in a non-title match
Back from the break and out comes WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens for this non-title match. Big Show is out next. The bell rings and Show strikes first.
They end up on the floor and Owens counters, sending Show into the ring post. Owens beats Show down on the floor and tries to get him counted out. Owens goes back out and hits a big DDT from the apron, dropping Show head first on the floor. Show makes it back in at the 9 count. Owens nails the running senton for a 2 count. Owens goes to the top but Show grabs him by the throat. Owens fights back. Show crotches him on the top rope and Owens falls out to the floor. Owens gets counted out.
Winner by count-out: Big Show
– After the match, Owens is still laying on the floor in pain as Show laughs in the ring.
– Renee is backstage with Brie Bella. Renee asks what her confidence is like going into the match with Naomi. Brie talks about the tough loss to Charlotte at Fastlane and says she has nothing to be ashamed of. She feels better than ever. She says Daniel Bryan and Nikki Bella are doing so good… Lana walks up and interrupts things. Lana knocks Brie and Bryan and talks about how she and Rusev are better. Lana says their marriage will fail. Brie says if Lana ever gets in the ring then they can talk. She knocks Rusev and walks off. We go to commercial.
Naomi vs. Brie Bella
Back from the break and the Divas are out. Tamina Snuka watches from ringside. Naomi starts off and hits a knee to the gut. They go on and Brie ends up with Naomi in an armbar. Naomi distracts the referee as Tamina gets in a cheap shot at one point. Naomi baseball slides Brie to the floor in front of Tamina. Brie makes it back in and Naomi goes to work on her again. Naomi with more offense and a 2 count.
Brie fights up and out of a hold but Naomi bulldogs her into the middle turnbuckle. Naomi goes for the split legged moonsault but Brie moves. Naomi with kicks now. She hits the series of jumping kicks. Brie ducks a kick and hits one of her own. Brie with the “yes!” kicks and then a dropkick. Brie with a running knee to the face. Brie goes to the top and Tamina runs up but Brie drops her. Naomi takes advantage with a 2 count on Brie. Naomi hangs on and applies her new submission for the win.
– After the match, Lana‘s music hits and out she comes to the stage. Lana laughs at Brie and taunts her but never takes the mic.
– Still to come, Del Rio vs. Ambrose. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get the WWE Hall of Fame video for The Fabulous Freebirds.
– Sasha and Becky are backstage talking about their match from earlier. Charlotte and Ric Fair walk up. Charlotte reveals they will face each other one more time on this week’s SmackDown. The winner will face her at WrestleMania.
Dean Ambrose vs. Alberto Del Rio
We go to the ring and out comes Dean Ambrose to a big pop. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and Alberto Del Rio is out with The League of Nations. Del Rio takes control early on and sends Ambrose to the floor. He throws Ambrose into the barrier a few times and focuses on the taped up shoulder and ribs. Del Rio continues to dominate the match and brings it back in the ring for more offense. Del Rio goes on and hits a dropkick to the face for a 2 count. Del Rio turns Ambrose upside down in the corner and climbs up for the stomp. He wastes time and Ambrose pulls Del Rio to the mat. Ambrose makes a comeback but Del Rio nails the Backstabber, sending Ambrose to the floor in pain.
Del Rio turns Ambrose upside down on the barrier and hits the big stomp. Ambrose barely makes it back in at the 9 count. Del Rio with big kicks in the corner. Ambrose blocks the cross armbreaker. Del Rio blocks Dirty Deeds. Ambrose nails the big bounce back clothesline. Ambrose unloads and knocks Del Rio down twice. Ambrose with the bulldog and a 2 count. Ambrose goes to the top but Del Rio attacks him. Del Rio climbs up for a superplex but Ambrose headbutts him a few times. Ambrose elbows Del Rio to the mat. Ambrose nails a missile dropkick for a 2 count. Ambrose ends up running into the ring post. Del Rio with the enziguri in the corner. Del Rio charges and lands on the floor as Ambrose moved. Ambrose goes to the top and elbows out onto The League, taking them all down. Ambrose comes back in the ring as fans pop. Triple H‘s music interrupts.
The bell rings as The League runs in and attacks Ambrose from behind while he’s distracted by Triple H.
Winner by disqualification: Dean Ambrose
– After the bell, The League beats Ambrose down. Triple H walks to the ring and nods in approval. Triple H enters the ring and shakes their hands. They leave and he takes the mic. He says Ambrose is never going to learn. He gets down and says Ambrose is never going to beat The Authority. Ambrose reaches up with a big right hand. He unloads and beats Triple H into the corner. Triple H comes right out of the corner with a Pedigree. He recovers and says “you’re on” in regards to the title match. Triple H leaves. Ambrose takes the mic and interrupts his music. Ambrose says “thanks” and fans pop. Triple H takes off his coat, rolls up his sleeves and heads back to the ring with the title. Triple H throws Ambrose to the floor and then over the announce table. Triple H throws Byron Saxton to the floor. He tosses some papers and brings Ambrose on top of the table for a bunch of right hands. Referees try to calm Triple H down but he’s lost it and continues pounding on Ambrose. Triple H finally stops and leaves with his title as some fans boo. Trainers check on Ambrose as RAW goes off the air.