WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Date: March 14, 2016
Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up live from Pittsburgh as WWE Tag Team Champions the New Day make their way out. Michael Cole welcomes us. He’s joined by JBL and Byron Saxton.
WWE tag team title match: Alberto Del Rio and Rusev vs. WWE tag team champions The New Day
The New Day talks about The League of Nations on their way to the ring and Kofi Kingston brings out the box of “Booty O’s” cereal. They go on and start dancing until Sheamus, King Barrett, Rusev and Alberto Del Rio come out. We get formal ring introductions from Lilian Garcia.
Big E starts off with Rusev. Kofi watches from the floor as Xavier Woods is defending tonight. Fans chant for Lana early on and Rusev doesn’t like it. They lock up again after going to the corner. Rusev works Big E over and beats him down as the referee warns him. Big E comes out of a corner with a big clothesline. Big E spanks Rusev while he’s in an abdominal stretch. Big E with an elbow and then stomps in the corner. Woods tags in to continue the Unicorn Stampede. The League ends up taking control as Del Rio comes in and unloads on Big E.
Del Rio with more offense and a Backstabber for a close 2 count. Del Rio misses in the corner and in comes Woods. Woods with a big forearm and a right hand. Woods nails a big Honor Roll clothesline but gets distracted by Barrett. Del Rio nails an enziguri and takes back control. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Rusev has Woods in a bear hug. Rusev keeps control and nails a fall-away slam after taunting Big E. Rusev with a 2 count. Del Rio tags in and wastes some time getting love from Sheamus. Del Rio comes off the top and nails Woods for a 2 count. Del Rio with a headlock now. Woods fights Del Rio into the corner and takes him to the top but Del Rio applies the armbreaker on the rope until he’s forced to break it. Del Rio comes off the top but lands on his feet. Woods takes out the knee and nails a knee to the head.
Big E tags in with Rusev. Big E with three big suplexes and some dancing. Big E runs the ropes and hits the splash. Big E claps and fans chant along. He goes for the Big Ending but Rusev slides out. Rusev with a spinning heel kick for a 2 count. Big E backdrops Rusev off a counter. Woods tags in. Big E drops Rusev on a Woods knee. Woods with a big DDT for a 2 count as Del Rio breaks the pin. Del Rio gets sent to the apron. Big E runs into Del Rio’s knee. Del Rio stomps Big E on the edge of the apron. Woods drops Del Rio face first. Rusev superkicks Woods and covers for a close 2 count. Rusev can’t believe it.
Rusev stomps Woods but Kofi gets on the apron. He ends up leaping off onto a charging Sheamus, then sending Barrett into the barrier. Woods rolls Rusev up for the win as he’s focused on Kofi.
Winners: The New Day
– After the match, The League of Nations immediately beat the champions down. Kofi gets sent into the ring post. Big E makes a comeback but they beat him down. Fans boo as the beatdown continues. They stop and play to the crowd before Kofi eats a big Bullhammer elbow. Big E takes a Brogue Kick next. Woods gets up and fights back but they beat him into the corner. They turn Woods upside down in the corner and Del Rio stomps on him from the top. Rusev puts Woods in The Accolade as Sheamus and Barrett talk trash in his face. More boos as The League stands tall together and we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see a replay of what just happened.
– We go to the ring and out comes Dean Ambrose to a big pop as Cole talks about what happened at WWE Roadblock on Saturday night.
Ambrose talks about how close he was to leaving Roadblock with the WWE World Heavyweight Title. He talks about beating Triple H from pillar to post but he made a mistake and that’s OK. Fans chant “let’s go Ambrose” now. Ambrose says Triple H can’t be feeling good today because win or lose, he learned what can happen when you take Ambrose lightly, when you underestimate him, when you don’t show him the proper respect. Ambrose says that brings us to tonight and the Road to WrestleMania… he’s interrupted by Brock Lesnar‘s music. Lesnar comes out with Paul Heyman for a big pop.
Heyman speaks from the stage and gives his introductions. Heyman says he’s protecting Ambrose from Lesnar. Ambrose dares Heyman to let The Beast off his leash. Heyman says he has a conflict of interest. He wants to let Lesnar loose on Ambrose but WrestleMania 32 is coming up and people are subscribing to the WWE Network to see what kind of beating Ambrose will get from Lesnar. Heyman tells Ambrose to stop provoking Lesnar because if he comes to the ring, Ambrose won’t make it to WrestleMania. He says then there will be no one left to face Lesnar because Ambrose is the only one crazy enough to face Lesnar in a No Holds Barred Street Fight. Ambrose mocks Lesnar and tries to talk him into fighting.
Heyman cuts a promo to hype WrestleMania and leaves as Lesnar’s music hits but Lesnar doesn’t follow. Lesnar walks to ringside and Heyman follows. Ambrose pulls a crowbar from his jacket. Lesnar stops and stares him down as Heyman tries to get him to leave. Lesnar creeps towards the ring and walks around it. Lesnar leaps onto the apron for a fight but quickly backs off as Ambrose charges. Lesnar stares at Ambrose as we go back to commercial.
Ryback vs. WWE United States champion Sin Cara in a non-title match
Back from the break and out comes Ryback. “The Lucha Dragons” Sin Cara and WWE United States Champion Kalisto are out next. Cara is wearing all black gear tonight.
Ryback takes Cara down with a headlock first. Ryback keeps control and beats Cara around, taking him to the corner for shoulder thrusts. Cara stares out at Kalisto. Cara fights back with chops but Ryback nails a Thesz Press. Ryback slams Cara’s head into the mat a few times but misses a splash as Cara rolls out of the way. Ryback with a big back body drop as some fans boo. Ryback with another slam and a 2 count.
Ryback tosses Cara into the corner and pulls him into a big clothesline for another 2 count. Ryback keeps Cara grounded now. Cara makes a comeback and gets a 1 count. Cara with a crossbody for another pin attempt. Cara ends up dumping Ryback over the top rope. Cara runs the ropes and dives out, sending Ryback into the barrier. Ryback is still standing and re-enters the ring. Cara jumps in but Ryback catches him in mid-air for Shellshocked. Ryback stares at Kalisto and nails another Shellshocked. Ryback covers Cara and stares at Kalisto.
– After the match, we go to replays. Ryback takes the mic from ringside as Kalisto is checking on Cara in the ring. Ryback tells Kalisto that’s what happens when a big guy meets a little guy. Ryback says size matters. He challenges Kalisto to put the title on the line at WrestleMania and drops the mic. Ryback’s music hits and he makes his exit.
– We see Stephanie McMahon walking backstage. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Stephanie McMahon. She welcomes us to RAW and says that’s where fans are supposed to cheer, not boo. She gives a grand introduction to her husband, mentioning his win at Roadblock, and out comes WWE World Heavyweight Champion Triple H in a suit.
Triple H talks about his win at WWE Roadblock and says everyone thought Ambrose could be the one but he failed. Triple H reminds us The Authority always wins. He says hope isn’t a strategy. He knocks Ambrose, Roman Reigns and the fans about how they all live with hope. He goes on about how fans live miserable lives and gets a little bit of the “what?!” treatment. He goes on and on until Dolph Ziggler‘s music interrupts. Out comes Ziggler in a suit and everyone is surprised.
Stephanie calls Ziggler a failure as soon as he walks in the ring. Ziggler says he was in the back listening and he couldn’t take it anymore hearing Triple H tell people about knowing their place. Ziggler knows his place, right here busting his ass every night or all of them. Stephanie calls his pandering very John Cena-esque. Stephanie says clearly Dolph doesn’t know his role because it’s not out here, its back there. She says he’s a talented guy but he’s not that good. Ziggler asks if they’re going to threaten to fire him again and says eventually after being threatened so many times, you realize you have nothing to lose. Ziggler says he’s never going to quit coming to work, no matter what they do or say. Ziggler says he couldn’t take anymore of Triple H badmouthing the fans. He says he’s not a failure and the same goes for Ambrose. He says they were just screwed by the system, Stephanie and Triple H‘s system. He says they can fire him if they want but he’s not going anywhere. Stephanie gets riled up but Triple H calms her down and says firing Dolph would be bad for business. He asks the fans if they love Ziggler and gets them to give it up for him. Triple H says Ziggler is a lovable loser like the fans, that’s why they relate. Triple H says Ziggler doesn’t have to be a loser. He’s really good and could be great but maybe he doesn’t have the right people backing him up or giving him advice. Triple H says maybe Ziggler could get everything he wanted out of life then.
Ziggler says he wouldn’t side with them if they were the last two people on Earth. He wouldn’t side with Triple H or his egotistical idiotic wife. Triple H steps back and Stephanie slaps Ziggler. Stephanie says she will give Ziggler any match he wants at WrestleMania 32, except for the WWE Title, but he has to win one match tonight. Stephanie guarantees Ziggler’s hope will get yanked out from under him like every other night. She says he doesn’t have it in him and he’s less-than but can’t admit it. Stephanie says she’s going to break Ziggler’s spirit. Ziggler wonders how many opponents he will have and says he will take it. She announces Ziggler vs. Triple H and a “yes!” chant starts up. Triple H and Ziggler stare each other down as Triple H‘s music hits. The Game leaves with his wife as Ziggler looks on.
– Still to come, The Undertaker will confront Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon. We go to commercial.
Sami Zayn vs. The Miz
Back from the break and WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens is on commentary. Sami Zayn makes his way out to a pop. We get a replay from last week. The Miz is out next.
They lock up and trade holds to start. Sami with deep arm drags that send Miz to the floor. Sami runs the ropes but stops himself from making a mistake. Miz pulls Sami to the floor but Sami jumps on the barrier and nails a moonsault. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Sami is fighting back. Sami counters a move and hits a nice dropkick. Miz with a kick and the big DDT for a 2 count. Sami blocks a Skull Crushing Finale and rolls Miz up for 2. Miz comes right back. Miz sends Sami into the corner and hits the running clothesline. Miz runs into a clothesline and another. Miz kicks Sami but gets clotheslined a third time. Sami goes to the top and nails a crossbody for a 2 count. Sami clotheslines Miz over the top to the floor. Sami runs the ropes and dives out onto Miz and the floor.
Cole asks Owens how is he not impressed by that. Owens says he’s going to show us something impressive and walks over talking to Sami. Miz drops Owens from behind. This leads to Sami getting the win with the Helluva Kick after more back and forth and interference by Owens.
Winner: Sami Zayn
– Sami and Owens stare each other down after the match.
– We get a look back at The League of Nations destroying The New Day earlier.
– Renee Young is backstage with The League now. They challenges The New Day to a match at WrestleMania 32. Sheamus says if they accept, it won’t be a comedy… it will be a tragedy.
Brie Bella and Alicia Fox vs. Tamina Snuka and Naomi
We go to the ring and out comes Brie Bella with Alicia Fox. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and Team BAD is out. Before the match starts, Lana‘s music hits and out she comes to watch. The bell rings and Naomi goes to work on a distracted Alicia. Naomi takes her to the corner and Tamina gets a cheap shot in. Naomi with a dropkick in the corner and a 2 count. Tamina comes in and keeps control as Lana sits on top of the announce table and watches.
Brie finally comes in and hits Tamina with a forearm. Brie unloads and hits the “yes!” kicks. Brie decks Naomi on the apron. Brie with the running knee to Tamina‘s face. Tamina runs into a kick in the corner. Brie taunts Lana and nails a Bella Buster from the second rope for a 2 count as Naomi breaks it. Alicia takes Naomi out but Tamina sends her to the floor. Lana walks up on the apron and distracts Brie. Tamina takes advantage and scoops Brie. Lana distracts the referee, allowing Naomi to run in for the double team. Tamina covers for the win.
Winners: Tamina Snuka and Naomi
– After the match, Alicia approaches Lana at ringside and they have words. She turns around to a double superkick from Team BAD. Team BAD leaves as the referee checks on Alicia. Lana laughs and leaves on her own.
– Still to come, Ziggler vs. Triple H. If Ziggler wins, he gets to pick his WrestleMania match.
– We go backstage to the Heath Slater, Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel and Adam Rose. Axel has a few of the new Burger King hot dogs. They do some Social Outcasts comedy and Axel is left alone with no hot dogs. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and JoJo is backstage with Paige. Paige wants to talk about WrestleMania season when Lana walks up. Lana says Paige used to be a strong European woman but she couldn’t keep her title or a man. Lana says it’s because she hangs out with weak Total Divas like Brie Bella. Paige fires back and offers to show Lana what she’s about. Team BAD walks up and warns Paige to watch what she says.
– Cole plugs the WWE Divas Title Triple Threat at WrestleMania. Renee is backstage with WWE Divas Champion Charlotte and Ric Flair. Renee asks what it means to be facing Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch in her first WrestleMania match. Charlotte says she’s known them for a while and was holding Sasha’s hair back while she puked before her first NXT match. Charlotte doesn’t see Sasha as The Boss, she sees her as a scared little girl still. She also knocks Becky. Flair chimes in about how Charlotte wanted to be better than Sasha and Becky. Charlotte says and now she is better. Renee reveals Charlotte has requested time to talk to Sasha and Becky on SmackDown this week.
The Usos vs. Bo Dallas and Heath Slater
We go to the ring and out come The Usos. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and The Social Outcasts are out. The Dudley Boyz are also out for commentary. Bo starts off with Jimmy Uso and takes advantage of a distraction to get a cheap shot in. The Outcasts take an early victory lap. Bo comes back in and Uso unloads, hitting the Rikishi splash into the corner. Bubba Ray Dudley distracts again, allowing Bo to roll up for a 2 count. The Usos end up taking out all interfering Outcasts as The Dudleyz get up from commentary and head to the ramp, talking trash to The Usos. The Usos end up getting the win after a Superfly Splash while staring at The Dudleyz.
Winners: The Usos
– After the match, The Dudleyz continue talking trash.
– Dean Ambrose is backstage with his crowbar when Mick Foley walks in. Fans chant Foley’s name in the arena. Foley says Ambrose vs. Lesnar is a bad idea and Ambrose is going to get hurt, bad… for a long time. Foley asks if Ambrose accepts that. Ambrose says it is what it is. Foley asks why. Ambrose brings up Foley vs. The Undertaker Hell In a Cell and that leads to a “cheap pop” for Pittsburgh. Ambrose asks if Foley was afraid when he was on top of that Cell. Foley says he was terrified. Ambrose asks why he kept going. Foley says because he was Mick Foley and that’s what he did. Ambrose says and this is what he does. Foley says since Ambrose’s mind is set, he wants Ambrose to take Lesnar to somewhere he’s never been. Foley is tired of hearing about Suplex City. Foley has a gift. He takes the crowbar and tosses it aside. Foley brings out a wrapped gift and says this is a passing of the torch. Foley does his “bang! bang!” and walks off. Ambrose brings Foley’s legendary barbed wire baseball bat out of the box.
Dolph Ziggler vs. WWE world heavyweight champion Triple H in a non-title match
We go to the ring and out first comes Dolph Ziggler. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes WWE World Heavyweight Champion Triple H for this non-title match, his first RAW match since 2014. Stephanie McMahon accompanies him and applauds.
They lock up and Triple H with a headlock takedown. Triple H drops Ziggler with a shoulder. They run the ropes and Ziggler takes Triple H down with a headlock now. Triple H tries to fight out but Ziggler grounds him again. Ziggler goes down after another shoulder from Triple H. Ziggler catches Triple H in a hip toss and another headlock takedown. More back and forth and a pin attempt by Ziggler. Ziggler takes Triple H down with another headlock. Triple H with a knee and a suplex attempt but Ziggler rolls him up for 2. Ziggler with a back slide for 2. Ziggler nails a dropkick for another close 2 count.
Triple H comes back and drops Ziggler with an elbow as Stephanie cheers him on. They go to the floor and Triple H launches Ziggler into the barrier hard. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Triple H has Ziggler down on the mat. Ziggler fights up and out but Triple H drops him face first with his arm for a 2 count. Triple H focuses on Ziggler’s arm now. Ziggler fights out of the corner and unloads with right hands as fans pop. Ziggler ducks a clothesline but Triple H nails the high knee for another 2 count. Triple H lifts Ziggler and drops him hard on his shoulder. Triple H with a knee drop to the face for another pin attempt. Ziggler fights back again but Triple H tosses him through the ropes at Stephanie’s feet. Triple H follows and sends Ziggler into the steel steps.
Stephanie talks trash to Ziggler. Triple H slams his arm into the steel and goes back in the ring. Triple H smiles as Ziggler struggles to get to the apron. Triple H suplexes him back in the ring. Triple H goes to the second rope. He stops and sits down to stare out at the crowd. Fans boo. He stands up on the second rope and comes down but Ziggler gets his boot up. They get up and Ziggler ducks a clothesline. Ziggler knocks Triple H down with a clothesline. Ziggler with a splash in the corner and a swinging neckbreaker. Ziggler with an elbow drop for a close 2 count. Ziggler mounts Triple H with rights in the corner as fans count along. Triple H pushes him off and catches a superkick. Ziggler blocks the Pedigree with a pin attempt for a close 2 count. Ziggler nails the Fame-asser for another close call.
Triple H nails the knee to the jaw but Ziggler comes right back with a big DDT for a close 2 count as Stephanie looks on shocked. They struggle to get up again. Ziggler runs into a boot in the corner. Ziggler runs the ropes and Triple H catches him with a big spinebuster. Stephanie yells at Triple H to take the pin but he’s dazed. He gets to his feet and grabs Ziggler for a Pedigree. Ziggler blocks it and nails a big superkick for another near fall. Triple H goes to the floor for a breather. Ziggler nails him from behind and rolls him back in the ring. Triple H pushes Ziggler from the apron to the barrier. The referee counts as Triple H tries to recover.
Ziggler makes it back in the ring right before the 10 count. Ziggler blocks a Pedigree with a back body drop. Triple H blocks the Zig Zag and nails a Pedigree for the win.
Winner: Triple H
– After the match, Triple H is slow to recover but raises the WWE World Heavyweight Title in the air. Roman Reigns‘ music hits out of nowhere to a pop. Triple H looks out at the crowd but Reigns appears on the stage. Reigns looks pissed as he stares Triple H down. He slowly marches to the ring and rushes in. Reigns tackles Triple H but somewhat botched it. They trade rights and lefts on the mat as fans boo. They go to the floor and Reigns sends Triple H into the barrier a few times. More boos from some of the crowd. Reigns sends Triple H into the ring post and rocks him with more right hands. Reigns slams Triple H‘s head into the announce table several times and then throws him over the announce table. More loud boos. Reigns takes the announce table apart as officials run over and try to stop him. Triple H gets up to fight back but Reigns knocks him on top of the table. Reigns drops a referee and JBL says someone should call the police. Triple H decks Reigns with a soda can but Reigns drops him again. They fight around the ring and off to the production area. Triple H has been busted open. Reigns attacks more crew members. Triple H tries retreating and starts tipping over production cases to get in the way. Reigns comes anyway and drops Triple H on the concrete. More crew members attacked. Reigns nails Triple H with a lighted sign. The Usos, Mark Henry and Jack Swagger come over to calm him down as Triple H escapes. We go to commercial.
– The announcers hype the WWE Network and WrestleMania Week after we see what just happened.
– We get the WWE Hall of Fame announcement for Jacqueline.
– Goldust is backstage when R-Truth walks up in a penguin suit. Truth says when penguins find their partners, they have them forever. Truth asks if Goldust will be his penguin. Goldust says no and walks off. Truth says that was cold and puts the penguin head back on.
Chris Jericho vs. Neville
Chris Jericho makes his way out before we take another commercial break.
Back from the break and Jericho is in the ring ranting about how fans have cheered for AJ Styles instead of him. Jericho rips AJ’s in-ring work and calls him a hack. Jericho says AJ is arrogant, just like the fans, and way over his head, just like the fans are in their lives. Jericho says he had to put AJ in his place last week and show him who AJ’s daddy is, Jericho. Jericho says AJ isn’t phenomenal, he is. Jericho says he’s the best in the world at everything he does. The music hits and out comes Neville.
They go at it to start. Jericho drops Neville with a shoulder. Neville counters some and hits a dropkick. Jericho retreats to the floor and is pissed. He kicks the steps and tells the camera to get out of his face. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and they’re going at it. Neville with a hurricanrana and a 2 count. Neville gets up limping and the referee checks on him. Jericho takes advantage with a roll up for a 2 count. Referee Charles Robinson warns Jericho that Neville is hurt. Jericho gets up and shoves the referee for the disqualification.
Winner by disqualification: Neville
– After the bell, Jericho continues yelling at the referee as Lilian announces Neville the winner. Jericho takes the mic and calls for Neville’s music to be cut. He’s upset about being disqualified and treated like a piece of trash. He eggs the crowd on and gets them to chant for AJ Styles. The music finally hits and out comes AJ. He runs down and nails a forearm from the apron. Styles springboards in and nails the Phenomenal Forearm. Styles stands over Jericho as his music hits again. Styles has words for Jericho as we see the WrestleMania banner in the background.
– The announcers call on DISH Network subscribers to call the company and demand they keep USA Network.
– Still to come, The Undertaker confronts Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Vince McMahon to the ring. He makes Lilian introduce him again. He tells us to imagine the night after WrestleMania 32 if Shane McMahon comes out to announce a new era in WWE. Vince says that would just be a dream or a nightmare. He says the only person standing in the ring the night after WrestleMania will be him, Mr. McMahon. Vince continues to get the “what?” treatment. Vince says he will be gloating because his son’s dreams will be crushed. Vince goes on and says the best part is he doesn’t have to lay a glove on Shane; someone else is doing it for him. Vince calls him the most depraved in the history of WWE and Vince’s own personal instrument of destruction. Vince introduces The Undertaker and the bells toll; the lights go out as Taker makes his entrance.
Vince looks on as Taker enters the ring and stares him down. Fans chant for Taker. After what happened last time, Vince tells Taker to never put his hands on him again. Taker takes his coat off and fans pop. He removes the hat next and gives Vince a look like only Taker can. Vince is apologizing now. Vince says Taker knows him and knows his name. Vince knows Taker doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty and doing the devil’s work. He knows Taker won’t mind destroying Shane in Hell In a Cell. Vince says some might call this an unholy alliance but he simply calls it what’s best for business. The music hits and out comes Shane McMahon to a pop.
Shane enters the ring and dances around Vince, keeping his eye on Taker. Vince tells the crowd to shut up and they boo him. Shane says Vince is definitely not what’s best for business anymore. Shane says he does find himself in the match of a lifetime at WrestleMania, against The Undertaker. Shane says he’s been watching a lot of Taker footage, trying to figure out how to beat him. Shane thinks he has it figured out. He’s going to use his mind. Shane botches his promo a bit as he tells Taker how he’s going to beat him. Shane says as long as he has a heart he’s fighting for his children and the fans’ children, for the future and the legacy of WWE. Taker grabs the mic and says that still won’t be enough. Taker says what he has is these… his fists. Taker says even more than WrestleMania itself, these are his legacy. Shane admits Taker has done a lot for WWE and that’s why he’s surprised Taker is here dancing around like Vince’s puppet. Taker says no one, including Vince, controls him. Shane says it looks different from where he’s standing. Shane says he has the misfortune of being Vince’s son but Taker is just Vince’s bitch. Taker grabs Shane and goes for a chokeslam. Shane slides out and backs Taker into the corner with a bunch of punches. Taker turns it around but Shane slides out again. Vince pushes Shane from behind and Taker catches him. Taker drops Shane with a chokeslam. Taker stares at Vince and goes after him but Vince retreats to the floor. Taker’s music hits as the lights go and the lightning hits. Vince looks on from the entrance and smiles back at the ring as Taker stands over Shane. Taker stares back at Vince with the WrestleMania banner in the background as RAW goes off the air.