AS I SEE IT: The Need for Wrestling Alternatives Bob Magee Pro Wrestling: Between the Sheets PWBTS.com
I always talk about the need for wrestling alternatives.
Well, good news came out this past week as Lucha Underground officially announced the dates for its second season of tapings beginning November 14, 15, 21, and 22, again in the Boyle Heights section of Los Angeles, CA. Fans in Southern California can now make their advanced reservations for those first four tapings (note: no children under the age of 12, with all children under the age of 18 being accompanied by an adult). Each tapings will begin early afternoon and will last 4 hours (those requesting tickets must be available to stay for the full 4 hours of taping). Send an email to [email protected]
I will note for anyone planning to attend that the producers are asking those attending to sign a non-disclosure agreement. How enforceable that is…is kind of questionable to me. Last time I heard that sort of thing…TNA was trying to do it and demand people not post spoilers. We all know how that worked out…in more ways than one.
Lucha Underground airs weekly, as last year, on El Rey Network (English) Wednesdays at 8:00 pm and UniMas (Spanish) on Saturdays at 4:00 pm.
If your cable/satellite carrier doesn’t carry either of these channels, you can watch Lucha Underground at UniMas’s website
Here is the list of holiday wrestling shows benefiting Toys for Tots, food pantries, and other causes, with shows being added to the list all the time…beginning THIS weekend.
* Hoosier Pro Wrestling will hold the annual Columbus Firemen’s Cheer Fund Toy Drive show at the HPW Arena/ 4-H Fairgrounds on November 7, featuring Wildfire Tommy Rich. Toys can be donated beginning at the October 3 HPW show.
* Ring Wars Carolina presents “Homecoming 2015” on November 7 at the Priscilla King Arena, 612 2nd Street, Lumberton, NC. Doors open 6:00 pm/7:30 pm bell time. Featured matches: (C) Kris Nemesis defends his RWC World Heavyweight Championship against Hangtyme; and (C) Chance Lebeau defends his belt in a RWC No Limitz Challenge. Bring 2 canned goods and get $2 off the price of an adult ticket!
* Chaotic Wrestling will do one of its two annual Toys for Tots shows, first on November 13 in Woburn, MA at the Elks Lodge, 295 Washington Street, Woburn, MA.
* Ring Wars Carolina presents “Homecoming 2015” on November 7 (7:30 pm belltime) at the Priscilla King Arena, 612 2nd street, Lumberton, NC. Bring 2 canned goods and get $2 off the price of an adult ticket.
* Atomic Championship Wrestling returns to Stevens Fire Hall (91 Stevens Road, Stevens, PA) on November 7 with a food and clothing drive, with donations going to Ephrata (PA) Area Social Services.
* Primal Conflict Wrestling presents “A Night To Remember IX” on November 13 (VIP Meet & Greet 6:00 pm/6:30 doors open/7:30 belltime at Harpers Ferry KOA, 343 Campground Road , Harpers Ferry, WV. A holiday food drive will take place at the show.
* World League Wrestling is hosting the last live event for 2015 at the Race Wrestling Arena on November 14th in Troy! This will be another great event that will have top-notch professional wrestling action. The main event will feature WLW Champion Leland Race defending his championship against an unknown challenger. In addition to this, there will be a HUGE blockbuster announcement that night! You won’t want to miss this event as it will bring a lot of new things to this company.
Also on tap for November 14th, WLW Ladies Champion Miss Natural will defend her title against Stacey O’Brien in a special stipulation match-up. Other wrestlers scheduled to appear are WLW Tag-Team Champions Elite Aggression, Kyle Roberts, Dustin Bozworth, Justin D’Air, and more!
Another huge reason to attend this event is the fact that you can win a FREE 32″ TV! WLW is helping out the Bread For Life Food Pantry in Troy that evening. Here are the details on how to win, for every 5 canned food items that you bring, you will get 1 raffle ticket. You can bring more items and get more chances to win! Items that the food pantry are needing include (but not limited to) pork and beans, ramen noodles, canned vegetables, cereals, and pasta. You can also purchase raffle tickets at $5 per ticket. Doors will open at 6pm and the event will kick off promptly at 7pm. Tickets are $10 per person.
* Wrestling for a Cause will run The Fight for Matthew on November 14 at the Owasso Sertoma Club, Owasso, OK (7:00 pm belltime) . 100% of the show’s proceeds go to the family of a child with cancer.
* Mecca Pro Wrestling comes to Cornwall, ON on November 24 in a benefit for Open Hands, a local residential centre designed specifically to help fulfill the needs of developmentally disabled adults and children. 100% of all ticket sales will benefit Open Hands. The show features Tommy Dreamer and Al Snow and the regulars of Mecca Pro Wrestling.
* Ultimate Championship Wrestling holds a benefit show on November 27 at the Prime Event Center in Bay City, MI to benefit the daughter of local wrestler Pete Christie. Cassidy is fighting cancer and they are doing what we can to help the family. Many of the Michigan independent wrestlers from many promotions have agreed to donate their time for this special event. Former WWE stars Brian Christopher and Scotty Too Hotty team for the first time in Bay City. Also signed to appear is ECW legend Sabu.
* TRUE Wrestling Presents: ‘Twas the Fight Before Christmas on Saturday November 28th, 2015 at the Salvation Army, 320 West Second Street, Berwick, PA. Doors open 6:00 pm (7:00 pm belltime). Scheduled to appear: Kras Van Tassel, Mark Maverick, Aaron Anthony, The Cash Masters, Tony Deppen, Aaron Arbo, and more. General Admission $10 advance/$12. Fans can save $5 off and receive a door price when you donate an unopened toy valued at $5 or more.
* Pure Wrestling Association returns to Guelph, ON on December 4 for “Spirit of the Season” at the Red Chevron in Guelph, ON. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy and PWA will give you two colour posters.
* Pure Wrestling Association returns to Guelph, ON on December 5 for “Spirit of the Season” at the Alpine Club in Kitchener, ON. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy and PWA will give you two colour posters.
* The originator of Toys for Toys events in the Philadelphia/South Jersey region, United Wrestling Coalition, will be doing the same on December 5 at Kelly’s Bar/Banquet Hall, 14 Railroad Avenue, Wrightstown, NJ
* 2300 (ECW) Arena presents a Toys for Tots collection at the CHIKARA Pro Wrestling season finale at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 5 with a 7:30 pm belltime.
* ECWA Pro Wrestling will hold its annual Toys for Tots show on December 5 at the Woodbury Heights Community Center, Woodbury, NJ
* Right Coast Pro returns to Newark, DE, at the Life Community Church, Otts Chapel Road, on December 5 show and will hold a food collection for the “Feed the Need Ministry” in Newark, DE at their monthly show.
* Atomic Championship Wrestling returns to Stevens Fire Hall (91 Stevens Road, Stevens, PA) on December 5 with a Toys for Tots collection and canned food collection.
* Crossfire Wrestling presents Jingle Bell Brawl IV on December 5 at The Merritton Community Centre 7 Park Avenue, St.Catharines, ON, benefiting The Niagara Children’s Centre Foundation with Former TNA Superstar Cody Deaner vs Former TNA World Heavyweight Champion “Showtime” Eric Young! General Admission tickets are available. Call the hotline at 905-329-2693 or go to http:// www.crossfirewrestling.com
* Pure Wrestling Association returns to Guelph, ON on December 5 for “Spirit of the Season” at Hafa Hall in Dundas, ON. Please bring a canned food item, and PWA will give you two colour posters.
* Grumpy’s Bail Bonds Operation Christmas sponsors show in Portland, TN at the Richland Park Gym on December 11 with Ricky Morton, Bill Dundee, and TNA’s Crimson.
* Combat Zone Wrestling presents its annual Toys for Tots collection (in conjunction with the Marine Corps Reserve) to take place for the eleventh year in a row with Combat Zone Wrestling’s 17th annual Cage of Death on December 12 at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ. Cage of Death is part of an all day CZW event, including a Combat Zone Wrestling afternoon student show.
* 2300 (ECW) Arena and Ring of Honor present a Toys for Tots collection at Ring of Honor’s Final Battle PPV on December 18 at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 18 with an 8:30 pm belltime.
* 2300 (ECW) Arena and Ring of Honor present a Toys for Tots collection at Ring of Honor’s TV taping on December 19 at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 18 with an 6:00 pm belltime.
* Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling will hold Wrestling With Hunger in at the Elks Hall #49 ,2272 Leigh Square, Port Coquitlam, BC on December 19 (8:00 pm belltime/ 7:30 doors open) to support Share Family Services Food Bank. All seats ONLY $16
* Wrestling for a Cause will run The Fight for Haylie on December 12 in Pryor, OK (7:00 pm belltime) . 100% of the show’s go to the family of a child with cancer.
* Brew City Wrestling will run its annual Headlock for Hunger on December 11 at the Knight of Columbus Hall in West Allis, WI. The show features a food drive for the Hunger Task Force of Greater Milwaukee. Fans are asked to bring two non-perishable food items.
* Chaotic Wrestling will do its second Toys for Tots show of the year on December 11th at the Woburn, MA at the Elks Lodge, 295 Washington St, Woburn, MA.
* Keystone Championship Wrestling will hold its yearly Toys for Tots show, tentatively scheduled for December 19.
* Great Canadian Wrestling presents Season’s Beatings ’15 on December 27 at Harmony Creek Community Hall, 15 Harmony Rd. N, Oshawa Ontario. This is the annual Christmas show for local food bank. Fans are asked to bring donations for Harmony Creek food bank. No matches yet announced.
Between all of these over the years, thousands of children have been able to have a Christmas or Hanukkah. Please help your local independent promotion do the same, or encourage them to schedule an event soon for the Holidays if they haven’t already. If you’re a promoter, PLEASE email me and let me know of your holiday charity themed plans (fund-raisers/collections for clothes, food pantries, Toys for Toys, etc.) at wrestling or MMA events to [email protected]
If you have comments or questions, or if you’d like to add the AS I SEE IT column to your website, I can be reached by e-mail at the address above.