WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: Greensboro, NC
Date: May 16, 2016
Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with the usual intro. We’re live from Greensboro, North Carolina as Michael Cole welcomes us. He’s joined by Byron Saxton and JBL. They hype The Usos vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson for tonight.
– We go to the ring and out comes AJ Styles for a pop. We get a look back at Styles and WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns from last week. Fans chant his name as Styles takes the mic. He wants to set the record straight because he’s tired of Reigns calling him a liar. But it’s not just Reigns; he’s heard it at the restaurant, the airport, on social media. He says people think his friendship with Gallows and Anderson is some kind of master plan to get him the title. AJ shows some tweets on the big screen with fans commenting on The Club.
Styles asks if this is a new era because this isn’t new to him… he’s headlined the Tokyo Dome, he’s been a champion around the world. For those in the WWE Universe who don’t know him, he’s not called Phenomenal for nothing and he’s worked hard to get where he is. AJ is interrupted by the music and out comes Reigns to a big mixed reaction.
Reigns is met with the “what?!” treatment as he starts speaking. Reigns says what Styles has done around the world doesn’t really matter unless he’s winning “THE” championship. Fans chant for Seth Rollins. Reigns says they’re not going to get Rollins, they have Reigns vs. Styles in the main event of WWE Extreme Rules. Reigns says he’s going to be in The Usos’ corner tonight and asks Styles if he will be in The Club’s corner. AJ says he will be there and he will be wherever Reigns is until he gets the title on his waist. Styles mocks Reigns’ “good guy, bad guy, THE guy” promo and says Reigns is the guy he’s going to beat on Sunday. Reigns says Styles is in the big fight now, this is not a wrestling match, and it’s not Extreme Rules. Reigns talks about what he might do to Styles on Sunday. Reigns says he can and he will beat AJ’s ass at Extreme Rules. Reigns says AJ can’t beat him one-on-one, so he knows The Club will be there, but The Usos will be there waiting for them. Reigns says we will all find out that The Bloodline is better than The Club. AJ says he plans on wrapping the chair around Reigns’ stinking head all night long. The music hits and out comes Gallows and Anderson. The Usos join Reigns in the ring. AJ charges and Reigns drops him with a right hand. Fans boo. AJ retreats to Gallows and Anderson on the floor. Reigns raises the title as AJ runs his mouth. The two teams stare each other down and have words as Reigns’ music hits and we go to replays.
– Still to come, Dean Ambrose will call out Chris Jericho. Also, an Extreme Rules Contract Signing with Natalya and Charlotte, plus Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn.
Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro
The red carpet rolls out as WWE Intercontinental Champion the Miz makes his way down with Maryse. Lilian Garcia introduces them. They join the announcers on commentary as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Kevin Owens is also on commentary. Sami Zayn makes his way out first, followed by Cesaro. They lock up as Owens and Miz argue on commentary. Cesaro with an early powerslam for a 2 count.
Sami ends up sending Cesaro to the floor and going for a dive but backing off as Cesaro goes to sit on the barrier and show off. Fans do the “ole!” chants now. Owens has no interest in this match and gets up to leave commentary. He attacks The Miz instead, throwing him into the apron. Owens goes to leave with the title but Miz stops him. They brawl at ringside as Cesaro and Sami watch. Owens rolls Miz into the ring. Cesaro and Miz brawl while Owens and Sami go at it. The referee calls for the bell as Sami and Cesaro clear the ring. Shane McMahon‘s music hits and out he comes to the stage for a big pop.
Shane says everyone has had it with the four of them. He gets a cheap pop from Greensboro and makes a tag match for tonight. Stephanie McMahon‘s music hits and out she comes to join Shane on the stage. Stephanie says that was really good but she wants Shane to consider what happened on SmackDown. She mixes up the teams, suggesting it be Owens and Sami vs. Cesaro and Miz. Shane agrees and so do the fans. Stephanie says if Owens even thinks about walking out on Sami, don’t bother showing up on Sunday. Shane says the match starts now.
Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs. WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz and Cesaro
Owens isn’t happy about tagging with Sami as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Cesaro is in with Owens. Owens needs to tag and yells at Sami, then tags him in with a slap. Cesaro and Sami go at it now. Miz tags himself in and hits a suplex on Sami for a 2 count. Fans chant “you can’t wrestle” at Miz. Another tag and words between Sami and Owens. Sami comes in and goes at it with Miz. We come back from a break and Miz is in control of Sami. Cesaro tags himself in and tells Sami to watch and learn.
Owens and Miz go at it with Owens hitting a missile dropkick. Owens with a big clothesline in the corner and then the cannonball. Owens with a 2 count. Owens runs into an elbow. Cesaro tags himself in and hits Owens with uppercuts. Cesaro warms up the Uppercut Train now. Sami comes in and Cesaro unloads. Cesaro doesn’t see Miz tag himself in. Cesaro goes for the Swing on Sami but Miz throws Cesaro out of the ring. Miz goes for a Cesaro Swing on Sami. Cesaro comes in and hits a Skull Crushing Finale on Miz. Cesaro gets taken out and Sami hits a Helluva Kick on Miz for the win.
Winners: Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens
– After the match, Sami celebrates until Owens drops him with a kick to the face. Owens declares himself the winner and heads to the back talking trash.
– Renee Young is backstage with Chris Jericho, asking what he thinks Dean Ambrose will have to say. Jericho is still upset about his jacket and says Ambrose will probably be apologizing. Jericho says he should have Ambrose arrested in this dump tonight but he’s not, he’s going to give him one chance to apologize and if he doesn’t, Ambrose will be very, very sorry. He tells Renee to hit the bricks and slams the dressing room door.
– Still to come, The Shining Stars. Back to commercial.
The Shining Stars vs. Scott Jackson and Brian Kennedy
Back from the break and out come Primo and Epico for their re-debut. They speak on the way to the ring as two local wrestlers wait. The ring is their paradise. Tonight, they would like to reward everyone by sharing a little piece of their Puerto Rican paradise. Primo starts for his team and Epico quickly hits Jackson with a clothesline from the apron. Epico hits the German suplexes and a brainbuster. Epico takes out Kennedy. Primo tags back in with more offense. Epico comes in and they hit their double team finisher, The Shining Star, for the win.
Winners: Primo and Epico
– After the match, Primo and Epico invite everyone to come to Puerto Rico
– We see Shane McMahon backstage talking to Dean Ambrose. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Dean Ambrose.
Ambrose quickly calls Chris Jericho to the ring. Jericho comes to the stage and wants an apology for Ambrose destroying his $15,000 jacket. Jericho brags about being a millionaire but says $15,000 is a lot of money and he wants it back. Jericho says Ambrose destroyed a piece of WWE history. Jericho demands an apology right now and tells the fans to quiet down. Ambrose challenges Jericho to a match at Extreme Rules and he accepts. Jericho talks about how he’s beaten everyone put in front of him, about how he’s the best in the world at what he does. Jericho says he’s not scared of Ambrose, he’s scared for him. Jericho is going to show Ambrose what a lunatic does and looks like at Extreme Rules. Jericho says he will have no remorse on Sunday when he gives Ambrose the Gift of Jericho. Ambrose says he has a gift too. A steel cage starts lowering over the ring as Jericho looks on. There’s something on top of the cage. Ambrose says he’s going to put Jericho in an Asylum. Ambrose talked to Shane and he said he could have any kind of match. Ambrose welcomes Jericho to the first-ever Asylum Match. We see the various weapons hanging on top of the cage. Music plays as Ambrose cuts a promo on how bad the match is going to be for Jericho. Ambrose says Jericho will never be the same again.
– Still to come, The Usos vs. Gallows and Anderson. We see Dana Brooke walking backstage. She stops to diss a random guy before heading to the ring for her match with Becky Lynch.
Becky Lynch vs. Dana Brooke
Back from the break and Becky Lynch is in the ring as we see Emma and Dana Brooke attacking her last week. Dana’s music hits and out she comes by herself. Cole acknowledges Emma’s back injury.
They lock up and go to the corner. Fans chant for Becky. Dana gets knocked down with a forearm after missing a clothesline. Becky mocks Dana and nails a pair of arm drags and a dropkick. Dana goes to the floor for a breather. Dana threatens to walk out but Becky jumps off the apron. Dana sidesteps and sends Becky into the barrier. She brings it back in the ring and mounts Becky with right hands.
Dana with a 2 count and then a submission as fans chant for Sasha Banks. Becky gets out and fights back. Dana catches her with a big slam. Dana mounts Becky again and works her over for another 2 count. Dana runs into an elbow but blocks a roll up. Becky with a pair of clotheslines and a knee to the face. Becky gets a pop and nails a big forearm in the corner. Becky with the exploder for a 2 count. Becky goes back to the top but Dana cuts her off. Becky counters Dana’s finisher but Dana counters a roll up with a pin of her own for the win.
Winner: Dana Brooke
– After the match, Becky is frustrated as Dana backs up the ramp talking trash.
– We get a look back at the Chicago Screwjob at Payback. Still to come, Natalya and Charlotte will have a Contract Signing for Extreme Rules. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get the latest video from Darren Young and Bob Backlund that aired on SmackDown.
– Shane and Stephanie are backstage. She wonders why Shane didn’t tell her about The Asylum Match and says they should get on the same page. Someone knocks and in comes The Dudley Boyz. They all shake hands. Stephanie asks how they can help The Dudleyz. Bubba Ray Dudley says they’re here to help. He’s here to remind them a few guys from the Attitude Era can still go in the New Era. D-Von Dudley says maybe they can get a few local North Carolina boys and teach them a lesson tonight. Stephanie says they won’t be any little guys. Shane teases Big Cass and says they will have to choose which one goes against him.
– Cole leads us to a video package on R-Truth, Goldust, Fandango and Tyler Breeze after the turns on SmackDown.
Goldust and R-Truth vs. Fandango and Tyler Breeze
We go to the ring and out comes Goldust first. R-Truth joins him and they head to the ring together while Truth raps. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and Tyler Breeze is already out with Fandango. Truth immediately attacks Breeze and unloads on him. Goldust gets a tag and unloads in the corner too. Truth back in but Fandango helps Breeze turn it around. Fandango tags in and goes at it with Truth. They collide and both go down in the middle of the ring.
The end comes when Fandango gets sent to the floor. Breeze ducks Truth and Truth accidentally takes Goldust out, allowing Breeze to get the pin.
Winners: Fandango and Tyler Breeze
– After the match, Fandango and Breeze leave together as we go to replays. Truth and Goldust have words as Truth tries to explain what happened.
– Still to come, the Extreme Rules Women’s Title Contract Signing. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Truth is backstage begging Goldust. Goldust says he told Truth he didn’t want to team up. Truth says those pretty boys got one over on them but they have to work out the kinks and try again. Truth says the WWE Universe wants Golden Truth, Truth wants the Golden Truth. Truth knows Goldust wants it deep down. Breeze and Fandango walk up, calling them idiots and welcoming them to the New Era. They walk off laughing. Goldust agrees with Truth and they hug, finally on the same page.
– We see something large and covered in the ring. Cole has no idea what it is. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day are out next.
Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods cut promos on The Vaudevillains, who they will face on Sunday. Woods reveals a time machine that’s being hidden. They jump in it and go back in time. Kofi jumps out with his old accent and theme music. They time travel again and go back to a time where everything is black and white apparently. This leads to Simon Gotch and Aiden English attacking them. They destroy The New Day and the time machine structure. Fans boo as Gotch and English leave The New Day laying.
– Still to come, Gallows and Anderson vs. The Usos. Back to commercial.
The Usos vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
Back from the break and out comes AJ Styles with Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson. The Usos are out next. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns makes his way out to a loud mixed reaction. The two sides face off in the middle of the ring before the bell. Anderson starts off with Jimmy Uso and Anderson takes it to the mat.
Jimmy catches Anderson and takes him to the corner. Jey Uso tags in for a bit of double teaming. Uso takes Anderson to the corner for more offense. Uso with big chops in Flair Country as AJ looks on. Uso blocks a counter and sends Anderson over the top. Uso knocks Gallows off the apron on the other side. The Usos stand tall as Styles talks to Gallows and Anderson on the floor to regroup. Gallows comes in with Jimmy now. Gallows misses a clothesline and gets rocked. Gallows catches Uso in a big slam, and another. Gallows drops elbow drops and covers for a 2 count. Gallows beats Uso into the corner and tags Anderson in. Anderson stomps away. Gallows gets in a cheap shot as the referee is distracted.
Anderson keeps control and tags Gallows back in. Lots more back and forth. Uso ends up hitting a corkscrew off the top but Gallows kicks out. They go to the floor and Uso takes Gallows down off the steel steps. Uso rolls Gallows back in as AJ approaches. AJ and Uso argue, allowing Gallows to drop Uso with a right hand. Reigns walks over and has words with AJ and The Club as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Jimmy goes at it with Anderson. Anderson with a big clothesline for a 2 count. Gallows comes in and unloads with rights and lefts in the corner. Jimmy ducks a big boot and Gallows gets hung up. Anderson tags in but Uso dumps him over the top. Uso turns it around on the floor and sends Anderson into the barrier. He brings it back in for a crossbody for a 2 count. We see Styles and Reigns argue at ringside. Uso hits a Samoan Drop and the Rikishi splash on Uso for a 2 count. Uso goes back to the top but Anderson jumps up and kicks him in the face.
Anderson with shots in the corner. He goes for a superplex but Uso sends him to the mat. Uso jumps but rolls through. Anderson with a big spinebuster for a 2 count. Everything unfolds at the end. The pin comes when Uso hits a big splash for the win.
Winners: The Usos
– After the match, AJ and Reigns have a staredown in the ring. Gallows attacks Reigns from behind. Uso makes the save but gets taken out on the floor. AJ brings a chair back in the ring where Reigns is. He goes to swing it but Reigns nails a big right hand as fans boo. Reigns hits AJ with the chair. Gallows nails Reigns. Reigns hits a Superman punch on Gallows and then Anderson. Reigns turns around to a chair shot to the gut from Styles. AJ with chair shots over the back of Reigns now. Styles hits the Styles Clash on top of a chair and receives some boos as he stands over Reigns. Styles’ music hits as Reigns tries to recover and he looks on. AJ talks trash to Reigns before leaving the ring. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Stephanie is in the ring with Shane. They hype Extreme Rules and Stephanie goes to introduce Charlotte but Ric Flair‘s music interrupts and out he comes. He wants to show respect and property introduce the apple of his eye in Flair Country. He introduces Charlotte and out comes the WWE Women’s Champion. They hit the ring and Charlotte is ready to sign but Shane says we’re missing someone and he brings out Natalya.
Natalya ends up calling Flair creepy. She wants to face the Charlotte she wrestled in WWE NXT but she no longer exists. Shane has Natalya sign the contract first. Charlotte says fans aren’t here to cheer her because they’re her people. Charlotte gets some boos. She says she could punch all of their best friends in the face and they would still cheer for her because they worship the ground she walks on. Lots of “woooos” in the crowd tonight. Charlotte says she’s their living goddess. She gets mad at the boos and says you do not boo a Flair. She tells them to show respect to the two Legends in the ring. She says the people love her because her last name is Flair. Flair goes to “woooo” and Charlotte tells him to stop because this is her ring. She goes back to ripping on Natalya, saying she’s going to make her tap at Extreme Rules.
Shane has Charlotte sign next. Charlotte stops and isn’t happy about a line in the contract. She shows it to Flair and he gets riled up. Shane says the added stipulation is that if Flair even walks down to the ring on Sunday, Charlotte will forfeit the title. Shane calls for security to come escort Flair out now. Stephanie says it’s not personal, just business, but if Charlotte doesn’t sign the contract, she will forfeit the title tonight. Charlotte signs. Flair starts yelling at Stephanie, saying he tried to like her because of who her husband is. Flair calls Stephanie the worst businesswoman of all-time. Shane steps in and stands up for his sister. Flair threatens Shane and takes his coat off. Charlotte tells him to get it together. Shane says he has too much respect for Flair, telling him to calm down. Stephanie says she doesn’t respect Flair and slaps him down into the corner. Fans boo. Security come pull Flair out of the ring and take him to the back. Charlotte moves towards Stephanie but Natalya tackles her and applies the Sharpshooter. Charlotte taps in the middle of the ring while Flair is being taken away by security. Fans chant “you tapped out” as Natalya’s music hits and the hold is broken. Charlotte rolls out of the ring to join Flair. She forgot her title and Natalya raises it in the air. Natalya looks on with the title raised as Charlotte stares back from the ramp.