Location: Birmingham, AL
Date: September 20, 2016
Tonight’s WWE SmackDown opens with a video hyping tonight’s matches.
– We’re live from Birmingham, Alabama as SmackDown General Manager Daniel Bryan is in the ring. Fans chant “yes” while Mauro Ranallo welcomes us. He’s joined by David Otunga and JBL.
Bryan is in the ring with a contract signing setup. He hypes the SmackDown Women’s Title match at No Mercy and says tonight we will have the first-ever SmackDown Women’s Title contract signing. Bryan says we are going to keep this signing civil and fans boo. He tells them not to boo that. Bryan says this is a new era on SmackDown and that’s how it’s going to be. He introduces Becky Lynch first and out comes the Women’s Champion to a pop. Bryan reminds Becky that we’re keeping things civil tonight and she agrees. Bryan introduces #1 contender Alexa Bliss next.
They have words and Becky cuts a good promo on wanting the title more than Alexa. Becky says she will rip Alexa’s head off at No Mercy. Becky wasn’t born to be a champion; she fought to be a champion. Bliss mocks her, saying the speech was so inspirational. Bliss says Becky is destined for second place because Bliss was born to be a champion. Bliss says she’s going to take the title at No Mercy and expose Becky for what she is – a one-hit wonder. Bliss smacks her in the mouth with the contract and then signs it. Becky goes down. Bliss turns the table over on her. Bliss makes her exit talking trash but Becky comes from behind and attacks her. Bliss retreats and Becky goes back into the ring to sign the contract. Becky’s music hits and she leaves with the title in the air.
– Still to come, The Usos vs. Jason Jordan and a returning Chad Gable in a #1 contenders match. We see both teams walking backstage before going to commercial.
– Back from the break and WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz and Maryse walk up on Bryan. Miz is upset about defending the title against Dolph Ziggler tonight. Bryan says they can cancel the match… Miz agrees and goes to walk off but Bryan says they can cancel the match and his contract. Apparently Miz was too busy tweeting to read his new contract that was negotiated this weekend. Bryan says this is going to make it hard for Miz to go out and do what he says Bryan can’t do anymore. Bryan asks if they have a problem and Miz says they do not. He walks off.
#1 Contenders Match: The Usos vs. American Alpha
We go to the ring and out comes The Usos. Chad Gable and Jason Jordan are out next. We see video from earlier today with Gable and Jordan talking about Gable being back for revenge. They begin their new journey to the titles tonight.
The bell rings and Gable starts unloading on Jimmy Uso. Gable with more offense and a 2 count. Gable with a suplex before working on the leg. Jordan tags in and keeps working on the leg. We see SmackDown Tag Team Champions Rhyno and Heath Slater backstage watching the match. Alpha with another tag and double team. They knock Jey Uso off the apron and nail double dropkicks on both opponents. Jimmy dumps Gable to the apron. Jey interferes from the floor as they get Gable’s injured leg tangled in the ropes. Jimmy superkicks the leg and sends Gable to the floor. Gable clutches the leg as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and The Usos are in control. They keep working on Gable’s leg and keep him in their corner. Gable dumps them to the floor and crawls for a tag. Jordan comes in and unloads on both opponents. Jordan gets fired up for a pop. Jordan with more offense on both opponents and a close 2 count on Jimmy. More back and forth. The Usos look to get the win after a double team but Gable breaks the pin.
Gable gets sent back to the floor. Jordan with an Alphaplex on Uso. Jordan eats a superkick and both are down now. Gable wants to tag but Jordan makes the decision not to tag because of his leg. Usos with another close 2 count. Jey takes out Gable’s leg again and he goes down to the floor as fans boo. The Usos with another double team. Jey nails the splash from the top for the win.
Winners and New #1 Contenders: The Usos
– After the match, we get replays as The Usos celebrate and make their exit while American Alpha tries to recover.
– We go backstage to Slater and Rhyno again. Slater wants to get the WWE Universe really behind them and has an idea for a chant. Rhyno doesn’t seem too enthused. The Usos walk in and take shots. They threaten to knock the food from Rhyno’s hand. The Usos suggest they hand the titles over. Uso brings up Slater’s kids, which gets Rhyno upset. He stands up to them as they leave.
– Still to come, Randy Orton vs. Erick Rowan. Back to commercial.
Apollo Crews vs. Baron Corbin
Back from the break and new SmackDown Superstar Jack Swagger is on commentary. Apollo Crews is out first for the next match and he has a very serious look on his face. We get replays from last week where Baron Corbin attacked him at ringside, then was confronted by Swagger. Corbin is out next.
The bell rings and they go at it. Crews gets the upperhand and an early 2 count. Corbin goes to the floor for a breather but Crews follows. Crews keeps control and launches Corbin into the barrier. Crews with an enziguri on the floor as the referee counts. Crews brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Corbin turns it around and unloads on Crews with forearms to the head outside of the ring. Corbin brings Crews back in and stomps his body into the ring post. Corbin stands tall as fans boo him. Corbin drives Crews into the ring post again with double boots. Corbin nails End of Days for the somewhat easy win.
Winner: Baron Corbin
– After the match, Corbin goes to ringside and stares Swagger down. Swagger stands up. Corbin talks trash and points at him before walking off. Corbin backs up the ramp as Crews rolls to the floor to recover.
– We see Dean Ambrose backstage warming up for the main event. Still to come, The Miz defends against Dolph Ziggler. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get a Curt Hawkins vignette.
– Renee Young with Dolph Ziggler. He runs down The Miz. Ziggler says he’s desperate to prove to himself that he still belongs here. Ziggler says the only way to prove to himself how good he is to shut Miz up and take the title. Ziggler calls for his music to be hit.
WWE Intercontinental Title Match: Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz (champion)
We go to the ring and out comes Dolph Ziggler. WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz is out next with Maryse. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and we get formal introductions from Greg Hamilton. The bell rings and they go at it. Ziggler gets the upperhand and they go to the floor but Miz ends up turning it around. Miz brings it back in the ring and goes to the top. Miz comes down with an ax handle. He plays to the crowd for more boos. Ziggler with elbows. Miz catches a kick. More back and forth before Miz drops Ziggler on his face.
Miz mocks Daniel Bryan and hits his signature kicks to Ziggler. Ziggler catches the roundhouse and unloads on Miz with right hands. Miz sidesteps and sends Ziggler into the ring post. Miz with more offense. Ziggler finally makes a comeback but gets sent into the ring post again. Maryse looks on as Miz stands tall. Miz mocks Bryan again with corner dropkicks. Miz with the corner clothesline. Miz goes to the top but Ziggler dropkicks him in mid-air.
More back and forth. Ziggler blocks a Skull Crashing Finale and hits a big DDT for a close 2 count. They end up tumbling to the floor together as we go back to commercial.
Back from commercial with more action. Miz with a close 2 count after a big boot. Ziggler with a roll up for 2. Ziggler plants Miz with a Fame-asser for another close 2 count. Miz runs into an uppercut as Maryse looks on plotting. She walks up on the apron and gets caught trying to spray Ziggler by the referee. Maryse and Miz both argue with the referee. He sends Maryse to the back for a pop. Ziggler takes advantage and rolls Miz up for 2. Miz rolls Ziggler for 2. Ziggler with the Zig Zag for a close 2 count. Miz rolls to the floor for a breather. Miz calls for his title and tries to leave with it as fans boo. Ziggler stops him and sends him into the steel steps. Ziggler brings it back in the ring but Miz sprays him in the face while the referee isn’t looking. Miz hits the Skull Crushing Finale for the win.
Winner: The Miz
– After the match, Miz makes his exit as we go to replays. Miz clutches his title on the floor as Ziggler sits up in the ring.
– Still to come, Cena vs. Ambrose. We see Randy Orton walking backstage for his match against Erick Rowan. Back to commercial.
Randy Orton vs. Erick Rowan
Back from the break and out comes Randy Orton as Erick Rowan waits.
Orton goes for an early RKO but it’s blocked. Rowan takes control with a spinning powerslam. Rowan drops elbows on Orton now. Orton tries to fight back but Rowan takes him to the corner. Orton fights out of another corner with kicks and punches but Rowan turns it back around. Rowan nails a dropkick that sends Orton out to the floor.
Rowan beats Orton around ringside and brings him back in the ring but wastes time. Orton kicks him coming in and hits the second rope draping DDT for a pop. Fans cheer as Orton hits the mat and gets ready. Rowan gets up and Orton nails the RKO for the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
– After the match, the graphic flashes and when the lights come back on, Orton is standing in the ring with a spotlight on him. A sheep mask is laying at his feet. The graphic flashes again and we go backstage somewhere to Bray Wyatt. Wyatt cuts a promo on Orton and says he’s just a man that could die at any minute but Wyatt is a god and gods never die. Wyatt tells Orton to run.
– Still to come, Natalya and Carmella vs. Nikki Bella and Naomi. Back to commercial.
Naomi and Nikki Bella vs. Carmella and Natalya
Back from the break and Nikki Bella is wrapping her entrance as Carmella and Natalya look on from the other side of the ring. Naomi is out next with her glow entrance.
Nikki starts off with Natalya after Natalya hits a cheap shot on Naomi when the bell rings. Natalya comes back with a forearm and applies the Sharpshooter. Carmella pulls Nikki out of the hold, to the floor and launches her into the ring barrier. The referee calls for the bell.
Winners by DQ: Nikki Bella and Naomi
– Natalya looks on and might not be happy. Naomi comes over and drops Natalya as Carmella continues beating on Nikki outside. Naomi goes to check on Nikki as Carmella retreats. Carmella talks trash and makes her exit as fans boo.
– AJ Styles is backstage polishing his title. Charly Caruso walks up and asks him about tonight’s main event. Styles says he’s superior in every day, the face that runs the place. He says Cena and Ambrose will tear each other apart tonight while he sits back, relaxes and soaks it all in. AJ says the champ is and always will be… here.
John Cena vs. Dean Ambrose
We go to the ring and out comes John Cena to a pop. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes Dean Ambrose. They lock up to start. Ambrose with a headlock as fans begin the dueling chants for Cena. Ambrose drops Cena first. Cena turns it around with a headlock now. More back and forth. Ambrose sends Cena out to the floor as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Cena misses an Attitude Adjustment. They go at it and Ambrose takes control. Ambrose hits the running bulldog. Cena counters a move and applies the STF. It’s broken and Ambrose sends Cena back to the floor through the ropes. Ambrose runs the ropes and nails a big dive to the floor. They come back in and Ambrose nails a crossbody from the top but Cena rolls through. Cena nails the AA and covers for a close 2 count.
More back and forth. Ambrose counters another AA and nails Dirty Deeds but Cena kicks out at 2. They get to their feet and trade shots in the middle of the ring now. Ambrose blocks an AA and rolls Cena up for the pin out of nowhere.
Winner: Dean Ambrose
– After the bell, Ambrose marks out as Cena retreats to the floor. Cena sits down on the floor as Ambrose’s music hits. AJ Styles runs down and attacks from behind, leaving Cena on the floor. AJ runs in the ring and hits a Pele kick on Ambrose. AJ talks trash as fans get riled up. Daniel Bryan comes out and says that was phenomenal but last week, Shane McMahon promised Ambrose a one-on-one title rematch and that will happen next Tuesday night. AJ throws a fit and turns around to a Dirty Deeds from Ambrose. We get replays from tonight as Ambrose celebrates as his music plays. Ambrose celebrates with fans at ringside and makes his exit as SmackDown goes off the air.