Location: Winter Park, FL
Date: June 17, 2015
Commentators: Rich Brennan and Corey Graves
– The show kicks off with a tribute to the ‘American Dream’ Dusty Rhodes, who was more of a mentor and father figure to many of the NXT stars than perhaps anyone.
(1) Enzo Amore, Big Cass & Carmella vs. Wesley Blake, Buddy Murphy & Alexa Bliss
Loud “you look stupid” chant for Blake, who has his hair in pigtails. Blake controls the first minutes with a side headlock until the babyfaces cleared the ring to go into a commercial break. The champs are back in control after double-teaming Enzo during the break. They work him over for almost the entire match, alternating in and working rest holds. Eventually Big Cass comes in and cleans house, taking out both the men and tagging in Carmella. In comes Bliss who immediately gets taken down by Carmella, and tags back out to Blake. They do the ‘flying enzo’ spot off the top rope for the win.
Winners: Enzo, Big Cass & Carmella
– They roll footage of Kevin Owens attacking John Cena after their Money in the Bank match, and then taking out Machine Gun Kelly with a powerbomb off the stage.
– Samoa Joe is backstage, and is asked about tonight’s match. He calls Owens a prize fighter and a bully, and someone who likes to make claims and threats he can’t back up. He makes a claim of his own, that he will take the fight to the NXT Champ tonight and deliver a beatdown of his own.
– A very long video package on Finn Balor. Becky Lynch delivers an emotional speech. She talks about Fergal Devitt (Balor) changing her life, opening a wrestling school in Ireland and giving her the first chance she had to ever wrestle. He tells the story of leaving home to go to New Japan Pro Wrestling. Part two next week.
(2) Charlotte vs. Kassey
Charlotte controls things from the opening bell, focusing entirely on the mat game. Kassey eventually comes back with a sloppy leg whip and a dicey looking running crossbody, but her momentum lasts about 10 seconds. Charlotte with the Figure Eight for the easy win.
– Dana Brooke cuts a promo backstage with Devin. She calls herself “misunderstood” because they called her a “former fitness model”, but talks about recently competing in the Arnold Classic Brazil. She tells Charlotte she’s being replaced by the “Total Diva”, and that some people have to earn their place in NXT instead of their family name opening the door. Dana was reading the promo line for line about two feet left of the camera, because it appeared to us she was just staring intently at nothing the entire time.
(3) Kevin Owens vs. Samoa Joe
Owens mocks the “NXT rookie” and yells at him that he’s the champ, and Joe decks him in the face and an all-out brawl stars. Joe matches his intensity with every single move. They go to commercial and when they come back the brawl is still going on. The champ gets an edge and hits the cannonball in the corner followed by a running senton splash, then slows down the pace with a side headlock for several minutes. The crowed chants “headlock city”. Joe tries to fight back a few times, and Owens knocks him back down. KO takes too long mocking him, and Joe hits him with an atomic drop and a senton of his own. Spinning wheel kick out of the ropes for a two-count. Running leg lariat for two. They head up to the top rope and Joe looks for the Muscle Buster, but Owens starts throwing right hands to back him off. He rushes the corner but runs into the S-T-Joe and the fight spills to the floor. Kev teases the powerbomb on the apron but Joe fights out of it and we get a referee bump as the brawl continues. The ref eventually calls for the bell as the two beat the hell out of each other on the ramp.
Winner: No Contest
A swarm of referees separate them but they continue to fight. They pull apart, come back together, repeat as necessary. Eventually security gets involved and it takes about 15 people to pull them apart to end the show.