NWA World Tag Team Titles Successfully Defended on July 14 at Rising Phoenix Wrestling
by Greg DeMarco, the Voice of RPW
On July 14, fans at the Boys & Girls Club–Grant Woods Branch in Mesa, Arizona were treated to a night of Rising Phoenix Wrestling that will not soon be forgotten. In the main event, The Real American Heroes (Karl “Machine Gun” Anderson & Joey Ryan) defeated TNT (“Mr. 300%” Brandon Nitro & Johnny Dynamite) to retain their NWA World Tag Team Championship belts. TNT had the champs reeling when Lawrence Tyler and Mike James distracted the challengers, allowing the champs to get the victory. The Heroes joined James & Tyler in a post match attack of TNT, which prompted Brandon Nitro to challenge James & Tyler to a tag team match on the next RPW show. This loss was TNT’s first defeat as a tag team in Rising Phoenix Wrestling since joining the promotion in January.
In other action, Arizona favorite The Hawaiian Lion fought Australia’s Mikey Nicholls in a match that would serve to be the beginning of the winner’s quest for a shot at the NWA World Heavyweight Title. But after 20 minutes elapsed, neither man had emerged victorious, and the match was declared a time limit draw.
NWA Arizona Heavyweight champion “XXX” Lawrence Tyler entered the ring to explain to the RPW fans that he had already defeated everyone there is to defeat in Arizona, and RPW officials had to resort to bringing in talent from outside the state to challenge for the title. The champ laughed when his challenger was introduced. Markus Riot, small in stature, definitely packed a punch, and had XXX on the ropes on several occassions. However, the veteran Lawrence Tyler proved to be too much for the challenger, and was successful in his title defense.
Country Bear made his first Arizona appearance, winning a Three Way Dance to open the show. The man from the Ozarks quickly became a fan favorite, as the Boys & Girls Club crowd enjoyed his dancing and his unorthodox style.
Complete results are as follows:
– Country Bear pinned “The Latin Terra” Savio Gomez to win a 3-Way Dance that also included Dean Radford
– The Hawaiian Lion and Mikey Nicholls fought to a 20 minute time limit draw
– “Miracle” Mike James pinned Ryan Taylor
– The Navajo Warrior defeated “The Limited Edition” Tommy Drake by disqualification on a reversed decision when the referee found a chain that DRake had used to pin Navajo
– “XXX” Lawrence Tyler successfully defended the NWA Arizona Heavyweight Championship against Markus Riot
– NWA World Tag Team Champions The Real American Heroes (Karl “Machine Gun” Anderson & Joey Ryan) defeated TNT (“Mr. 300%” Brandon Nitro & Johnny Dynamite) thanks to outside interference from manager C. Edward Vander Pyle, Lawrence Tyler and Mke James
The gym was filled with RPW fans, including many that benefited from the tickets that Rising Phoenix Wrestling donated to the Boys & Girls Club. A big announcement regarding the next RPW show is expected within the next two weeks. Keep visiting www.risingphoenixwrestling.com for details!