WWE world heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar successfully defended his WWE championship tonight during the main event of WWE’s Night of Champions pay-per-view. Although John Cena won the match by disqualification, due to the interference of Seth Rollins, the title obviously doesn’t change hands. Cena put up a much better fight than he did at SummerSlam, but in the end Lesnar remains the champion.
Editor’s note: The match was pretty entertaining until the ending. I thought it was weak to have Seth Rollins cause the disqualification to save Lesnar’s title, and then Rollins tried to cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase, only to be chased away by John Cena before the referee could ring the bell. In general I thought the ending felt sloppy and confusing. Judging by the mixed reaction from the crowd, so did they. Nobody seemed too happy. Which is a shame because I thought the rest of the show was pretty good with some surprise winners.
What did you think? Here is the full recap of the night’s show:
WWE Night of Champions
Location: Nashville, TN
Date: September 21, 2014
Commentators: Michael Cole, JBL, and Jerry Lawler
The 2014 WWE Night of Champions Kickoff pre-show starts with Renee Young, Big Show, Booker T and Alex Riley at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. We see fans filing into the arena. They talk about Roman Reigns having emergency surgery on Saturday. Renee leads us to a video of Brock Lesnar’s wins over Big Show, The Undertaker and John Cena this week. They come back and Show talks about Lesnar. Riley breaks down how Lesnar dominated the match with Cena at SummerSlam. Renee sends us backstage to Tom Phillips in the social media lounge. He plugs tonight’s hashtag #WWENOC.
– The panel talks about Rusev and his battle with Mark Henry tonight. Renee leads us to commercials. We see Randy Orton attacking Chris Jericho two weeks ago on RAW. Booker predicts Orton will win, Riley agrees and Show goes with Jericho. They talk about The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler. Damien Sandow and R-Truth will be at ringside. Show talks about how Sandow is a better talent than The Miz. Renee plugs Cesaro vs. Sheamus next. We get more promos and hype for the other matches. Booker T interviews Goldust backstage. They talk but Goldust says the old Goldy is gone. Stardust appears and cuts a promo while Goldust moves to Booker’s back side. Stardust says the titles will be theirs tonight. Goldust hisses at Booker and walks off. Renee hypes tonight’s Divas Title match and leads us to a video.
– Riley says Nikki Bella has the advantage tonight because of The Authority. AJ Lee has come out and taken Booker’s spot on the panel. She says the Divas Title is hers; she doesn’t care about the boss lady or Paige. Regarding Nikki, she says Nikki has a big bark but she bites. Still to come, The Peep Show. We go to more promos. We go back to Tom in the social media lounge. He talks about Roman Reigns and shows us some get well messages from fans. The panel talks more about Reigns and everyone believes he will be back to make an impact. We get more promos.
– We go to the ring and out comes Christian to a big pop for a The Peep Show. Christian says he’s missed us a lot. He says tonight isn’t about him, it’s Night of Champions. Christian says one match has his interest tonight – Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho. Christian brings out Jericho to the ring. JBL, Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler are on commentary as Jericho comes out to a big pop. Jericho is excited to be on The Peep Show and even more excited to have Christian here. They jokingly argue about when they used to team together. Jericho apologizes for not wearing pants to The Peep Show. They start talking about Randy Orton and Orton interrupts on the big screen. Orton takes credit for Christian not being able to wrestle any more. Orton says when he’s done with Jericho tonight, the only TV show he’ll be able to appear on is Total Divas. Jericho says Orton’s show would be Total Jackass. Jericho fires back at Orton and tells him not to forget who he’s facing tonight. Cole hypes the pay-per-view and that’s it for the pre-show.
– The 2014 WWE Night of Champions pay-per-view kicks off with a video package for the event. We’re live from the Bridgestone Arena as the pyro goes off and Michael Cole welcomes us. The announcers talk about the WWE Tag Team Titles and we go to the ring.
WWE tag team title match: Stardust and Goldust vs. WWE tag team champions The Usos
WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos are out first to a nice pop. Stardust and Goldust are out next. We see the Spanish announce team at ringside. Goldust starts off with Jey Uso and they go at it. Goldust takes it to the corner but Jey turns it around. Jey takes Goldust off his feet and spears him into the corner. Jimmy Uso tags in for some double teaming and a big chop. Goldust turns it around and tags in Stardust to a pop. Uso dodges a move and slams Stardust. Uso drops an elbow for a 2 count. More back and forth. Goldust gets the tag and works Uso over in the corner. Goldust whips Uso hard into the opposite corner and he goes down. Stardust comes back in and works Uso over for a 2 count. Goldust comes back in and keeps control. Uso fights back but Goldust hits him with a knee to the gut. Goldust runs into an uppercut. Jey finally gets the tag and knocks Stardust off the apron before unloading on Goldust. Uso with big chops. Uso counters a whip and drops Goldust with a right hand. Jey back drops Goldust for a 2 count. Goldust and Stardust end up on the floor. Jey runs off the barricade and nails Stardust. Goldust catches Uso in a big powerslam on the floor. Goldust rolls Uso back in the ring for a 2 count. Stardust tags back in and stomps away on Uso. Stardust works Uso over on the ropes now. Goldust tags back in for some double teaming and a 2 count.
Uso fights out of a headlock. Goldust catches him in a spinebuster for another 2 count. Uso fights Stardust off. Uso goes for a Samoan Drop but Stardust counters it with a neckbreaker for a pair of 2 counts. Stardust takes Jey off the apron and they continue working Jimmy over. More double teaming by Stardust and Goldust. Stardust misses in the corner and hits the ring post. Goldust comes in and stops Jimmy from tagging. Uso misses a kick but goes for another and drops Goldust. Jey finally gets the tag and unloads on Stardust with clotheslines, a kick and more. Stardust counters a move but Uso unloads on his leg with kicks and takes the knee out. Uso slams Stardust’s leg over the apron a few times. Goldust comes over but Jimmy leaps out of the ring onto him. Jey goes to the top and nails a crossbody on Stardust for 2. Jey with a Samoan Drop now. Jey nails the Rikishi splash in the corner and superkicks Goldust. Stardust hits Dark Matter out of nowhere for a close 2 count. Stardust ties up Uso in the corner and smacks him with his glove. Jimmy comes to save his brother and gets knocked into the barrier. Uso with a roll up for 2. Everyone ends up on the floor again after a dive. Uso brings it back in for the big Superfly splash on Stardust but he gets his knees up. Stardust takes advantage and gets the win.
Winners and new WWE tag team champions: Goldust and Stardust
– After the match, Stardust and Goldust celebrate with their titles.
– Dolph Ziggler cuts a promo backstage on his match with The Miz tonight. R-Truth or R-Ziggler is with him.
WWE United States title match: Cesaro vs. WWE United States champion Sheamus
We go to the ring and out comes Cesaro first. WWE United States Champion Sheamus is out next to a decent reaction. They trade holds to start the match. They go to the ropes and break. Cesaro goes for the arm and they trade holds some more. Sheamus takes Cesaro down. Sheamus takes control until they both tumble out to the floor. They trade shots as the referee counts. Sheamus brings it back in the ring and hits a Battering Ram for a 2 count. Cesaro knocks Sheamus out of the ring with an uppercut out of nowhere. Sheamus fights back but Cesaro makes a comeback and nails a huge clothesline for a 2 count. Cesaro with two big running uppercuts in the corner. Sheamus catches him with the Irish Curse backbreaker out of nowhere right after the uppercuts. Sheamus with a 2 count. Cesaro blocks the shots on the apron and nails a big boot to the head. More back and forth and pin attempts. Cesaro dodges a Brogue Kick and nails a huge uppercut for a close 2 count. Cesaro with a gutwrench slam attempt but he struggles getting Sheamus up. Cesaro with a boot to the face. Cesaro runs into an elbow. Sheamus with a running knee and a powerslam for a 2 count.
Cesaro ducks a Brogue Kick and rolls Sheamus up for 2. Cesaro with the big double underhook slam for a 2 count. Cesaro goes for the Neutralizer but Sheamus back body drops him. Cesaro blocks another Brogue Kick and slams Sheamus for another close 2 count. The fans are into this one now. Cesaro unloads and knocks Sheamus into the corner. More big shots from Cesaro. Sheamus shoves him off and yells for him to bring more. Cesaro responds with a big running boot to the face. Sheamus nails a Brogue out of nowhere for the win.
– After the match, a dazed Cesaro recovers as Sheamus celebrates and exits with his title in the air.
– Mark Henry is backstage pacing when Big Show walks in. Henry knows the whole country is on the line and says he won’t let us down. Show says Henry has millions of Americans as his tag partner tonight. Show gets Henry pumped up and tells him to tear Rusev’s head off.
– The band Florida Georgia Line comes out and joins commentary with Cole, JBL and Lawler. They will also be performing at Tribute to The Troops this year.
WWE Intercontinental title match: The Miz vs. WWE Intercontinental champion Dolph Ziggler
We go to the ring and out comes The Miz with his stunt double Damien “Mizdow” Sandow. WWE Intercontinental Champion Dolph Ziggler is out next with his stunt double R-Truth, now known as R-Ziggler. Back and forth to start the match. Ziggler nails a nice hip toss before dropping a bunch of elbow drops. Miz avoids the last one and rolls to the apron. Miz drops Ziggler over the top rope and comes back in. Miz blocks a DDT and nails a big kick to the face for a 2 count. Miz keeps control and works Ziggler around the ring. Miz shows off some and dances around as he keeps Ziggler down. Ziggler gets up and fires back. They both go down in the corner as Truth and Sandow cheer them on. Ziggler ducks a clothesline and hits some of his own. Ziggler with a splash in the corner and a neckbreaker. Ziggler gets fired up but Miz blocks the Fame-asser. Ziggler counters that with a roll up for 2. Ziggler clotheslines Miz and they both tumble over the top rope.
Sandow takes advantage of the referee being distracted and pulls Ziggler off the apron before taking him out. Sandow yells at Florida Georgia Line. They stand up to confront him. Sandow mocks them. They both send him to the floor and Truth comes over to assist. Truth chases Sandow off to the back as Miz looks on. Miz turns around to a superkick from Ziggler for a close 2 count. Ziggler blocks the Skull Crushing Finale but Miz also blocked the Fame-asser. Miz applies the Figure Four now. It’s broken and they struggle. Ziggler drops Miz for another close 2 count. Ziggler waits for Miz to get up but Sandow appears on the apron. Ziggler superkicks him off but Miz takes advantage and rolls Ziggler up with a hand full of tights for the win.
Winner and New WWE Intercontinental Champion: The Miz
– After the match, Sandow and Miz celebrate in Ziggler’s face and leave with the title as Ziggler looks on. The announcers plug Florida Georgia Line’s new album and we get a replay of their involvement in the match.
– The announcers talk about Roman Reigns’ condition and emergency surgery.
Seth Rollins vs. Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins comes to the ring and he’s all smiles. He brings up Roman Reigns and says you can be on top of the world one minute and not, the next minute. He says emergency surgery is no excuse for not showing up tonight. Rollins says he’s going to give Reigns 10 seconds to come out and face him or Rollins will accept the forfeit. The referee counts and Rollins is announced the winner.
Winner by Forfeit: Seth Rollins
– After the bell, Rollins orders the referee to raise his hand. Rollins says he’s disappointed in Reigns because he wanted to wrestle tonight also. Rollins says he’s got to do something to make it up. He raises his briefcase and says luckily he’s an opportunist. Rollins issues an open challenge. We see a taxi pull up outside and Dean Ambrose gets out to a huge pop. Ambrose runs into the arena. Ambrose hits the ring and unloads on Rollins, sending him to the floor. Ambrose runs Rollins over the barrier and into the crowd. They fight up the stairs and into the fans. They fight back down the floor and Ambrose backdrops Rollins on the concrete. We see Triple H and Stephanie McMahon ordering security to keep Ambrose away from Rollins. Ambrose breaks free and laps off pieces of the set to take out Rollins. Ambrose tosses Rollins back through the production area and into the crowd. Ambrose clotheslines Rollins back over the barrier and to ringside. Rollins goes in the ring and Ambrose follows with a steel chair. Security tackles Ambrose as Triple H instructs them. They tie Ambrose’s arms behind his back and carry him away. Rollins throws a fit at ringside as The Authority stands with him. They leave together and we go to commercials.
– We go to the panel to discuss what’s happened on the show tonight.
Rusev vs. Mark Henry
We go to the ring and out comes Mark Henry with a new singlet that has red, white and blue on it. Lilian Garcia sings the National Anthem after Henry’s entrance. Henry cries as Lilian sings. Lilian gets a big pop and Henry gets fired up for the match. Rusev is out next with Lana. They go at it and Henry immediately sends Rusev to the floor after big shots. Rusev comes back in and they trade blows now. Rusev goes back to the floor to regroup. Rusev jumps on the apron and Henry knocks him off. Rusev is frustrated already. Rusev comes back in and goes to work on Henry with a kick and punches. Henry nails a headbutt and Rusev goes back to the floor. Henry follows and Rusev rams him into the steel steps.
They come back in and Rusev splashes Henry in the corner twice. Rusev keeps control and stomps on Henry now. Rusev with a side Russian leg sweep for a 2 count. Rusev with more offense. Henry tries to make a comeback and slam Rusev but Rusev nails a big kick to the head. Rusev stomps on Henry’s back and applies The Accolade. Henry powers to his feet and breaks out of the hold. Henry grabs Rusev but Rusev decks him. Henry hits a World’s Strongest Slam out of nowhere. Rusev is still going and nails a dropkick. Rusev applies The Accolade again and gets the win.
– After the match, Rusev and Lana pose in the ring as the Russian flag drops down over the ring. A referee checks on Henry on the floor.
– The announcers hype Hell In a Cell and Cena vs. Lesnar.
Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho
We go to the ring and out first comes Chris Jericho. Randy Orton is out next. They go at it to start and fight to the corner. Jericho with shoulder thrusts. Orton turns it around and hits uppercuts in the corner. Jericho fights back with chops. Orton drops him with a shoulder. Orton runs the ropes and Jericho nails a dropkick. Jericho clotheslines Orton out to the floor. Jericho runs the ropes and baseball slides Orton in front of the announcers. Jericho slams Orton’s face into the Spanish announcers table and slaps him. Jericho sends Orton into the steel steps. They come back in and Orton takes control. Orton runs into a big boot and Jericho fights back with more chops. Orton runs into boots. Jericho goes to the top but Orton takes his leg out. Orton climbs up for a superplex and nails it. Orton keeps control but can’t get the pin. Orton tosses Jericho out to the floor in front of the announcers. Orton back drops Jericho on top of the announcers table. Orton brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Jericho finally fights back and takes Orton down. Jericho with a shoulder tackle and another takedown for a 2 count. Jericho keeps control but Orton nails a nice powerslam out of nowhere for a 2 count. Jericho ends back up on top and hits a big right hand on the way down. Jericho with a bulldog. Orton comes right back and lays Jericho out with a backbreaker. Jericho blocks a RKO and nails the Lionsault for a 2 count. More back and forth. Orton blocks the Walls of Jericho. Jericho charges and Orton sends him into the ring post. Orton readies for a punt kick but Jericho dodges it and rolls Orton up for 2. Jericho goes for the Walls again and gets it locked in. Orton gets close to the ropes but Jericho pulls him back to the middle of the ring. Orton counters the hold and kicks Jericho out of the ring. Jericho comes right back to the apron but Orton nails the draping DDT. Fans chant for Jericho now. Orton readies for a RKO but Jericho gets up and nails a Codebreaker for a close 2 count. Jericho goes to the top and waits for Orton to get up. Jericho jumps off the top but Orton catches him with a RKO in mid-air for the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
– After the match, Orton has his arm raised as we go to replays. Orton poses in the corner as Jericho recovers.
– We get a video from Paige talking about tonight’s Divas Title match. Byron Saxton is backstage with Brie Bella and she says like Nikki, karma is a bitch.
WWE Divas title match: AJ Lee vs. Nikki Bella vs. WWE Divas champion Paige
We go to the ring and out first come Nikki Bella and AJ Lee. WWE Divas Champion Paige is out next. Paige runs her mouth and gets into it with Nikki before the bell. They push each other and argue as AJ looks on. They go for AJ and she sends Paige out of the ring before taking Nikki down and rolling her up for 2. AJ goes down and it’s Nikki and Paige going at it now. Paige runs the ropes and AJ pulls her leg. AJ brings Paige to the floor and throws her into the barrier. Nikki follows and gets thrown into the barrier also. AJ and Paige end up in the ring. Paige begs for AJ to take it easy. AJ attacks her and drops her with a kick for a 2 count. AJ goes to the top but Nikki pushes her to the mat. Nikki covers AJ for a 2 count. Paige comes back and sends Nikki out of the ring. Paige smiles and hugs AJ, bringing her to her feet. AJ shoves her off. Paige drops AJ with a superkick. Paige creams and mounts AJ with headbutts. 2 count by Paige.
Nikki comes back in and takes out Paige. Nikki works over AJ but AJ goes to the top. AJ goes for a crossbody but Nikki catches her. Nikki says it’s over but AJ applies the Black Widow. Paige comes in and knocks them both down. Paige covers them both for 2 counts. More back and forth. They come crashing down out of the corner. AJ rolls to the floor. Nikki gets the Rack Attack on Paige and covers for a 2 count as AJ runs in. Nikki slaps AJ and pushes her back out of the ring. AJ slams Nikki hard from the apron to the floor. AJ comes back in and applies the Black Widow on Paige. Paige counters it but AJ gets it locked again for the win.
Winner and new WWE Divas champion: AJ Lee
– After the match, AJ skips away with the Divas title as Paige throws a fit in the ring.
– We get lots of hype for tonight’s main event.
WWE world heavyweight title match: John Cena vs. WWE world heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar
We go to the ring and out comes John Cena to a mixed reaction. Cena runs the ropes while we wait for the music to hit and finally WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar makes his way out with Paul Heyman. Justin Roberts does formal ring introductions. The bell rings and they charge. Lesnar takes Cena to the corner and unloads on him. Lesnar goes for a German suplex but Cena hangs on to the ropes. Cena stuns Lesnar and nails an Attitude Adjustment for a 1 count. Lesnar applies the kimura lock on Cena but he makes it to the bottom rope. Lesnar keeps it locked but breaks after the 5 count.
Lesnar with a big knee as fans start dueling chants. Lesnar works Cena over now. Lesnar nails German suplex #1. Cena fights back but Lesnar knocks him to the mat. Lesnar gets the kimura applied again but Cena makes it to the bottom rope. Cena fights back with right hands. Lesnar ducks a clothesline and nails German suplex #2. Lesnar with a 2 count on Cena. Lesnar hits a trio of vertical suplexes and goes for a pin but Cena’s shoulders aren’t down. Lesnar beats Cena back down. Lesnar with shoulder thrusts in the corner now. Cena fights back with right hands again. Cena runs the ropes and Lesnar runs over him with a big clothesline. Lesnar keeps up the attack and goes back to the arm but Cena makes it to the rope. Lesnar with a big belly to belly throw for another 2 count. Cena comes out of the corner fighting but Lesnar turns it around with shoulder thrusts in the corner and Cena is back on the mat.
Cena fights back and nails a big right hand and elbow to the face. Cena goes for an Attitude Adjustment but Lesnar nails another German suplex, #3. Lesnar is busted open from the strikes to the face. Lesnar with more thrusts in the corner now. Lesnar rams Cena back into the opposite corner with more thrusts. Lesnar is bare knuckled now. Cena nails an Attitude Adjustment out of nowhere for a 2 count. Lesnar goes for the F5 but Cena blocks it and applies the STF. Lesnar breaks the hold and applies the kimura lock. Cena manages to get to his feet with Lesnar and the hold still locked. Cena rams him into the corner but the hold is still applied. Cena rams them in the corner again and breaks the hold. Cena with another Attitude Adjustment but he applies the STF instead of pinning.
Cena keeps pulling Lesnar back in the STF. Cena picks Lesnar up and hits the 4th Attitude Adjustment. Seth Rollins runs in and hits Cena with the briefcase for the disqualification.
Winner by DQ: John Cena
– Rollins decks Cena again and sends him out of the ring. Rollins looks to leave the ring but comes back in. Rollins nails a Curb Stomp on Lesnar. He cashes in at ringside. They waste a few minutes. Rollin comes back to the ring but Cena cuts him off. Cena fights Rollins out the other side of the ring. The bell never rang and Rollins never cashed in. Rollins heads up the ramp. Cena turns around to a big F5 from Lesnar. Heyman hands Lesnar his title. The announcement of Cena being the winner is made and his music hits and quickly stops. Lesnar stands over Cena and it’s announced that Lesnar is still champion. We go to replays. Cole confirms that Rollins still has his title shot and did not cash in. Lesnar and Heyman look on from the entrance as Cena has his arm raised while on his knees. Night of Champions goes off the air with Cena looking down.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login