NWA news and notes
Visit www.nwawrestling.org, the official NWA website.
Catch the recent interview on OWW Radio with Bill Behrens:
Colt Cabana versus Adam Pearce
“Seven Levels of Hate” for the NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship
Stage One: May 13, 2012 – NWA Hollywood – Glendale, CA
Colt Cabana beat Adam Pearce Sunday night at the NWA Hollywood TV tapings in Glendale, CA in a first blood match in the first of their ‘best of seven matches’ series for the NWA heavyweight title. Match No. 2 takes place on 6/8 in Bridgewater, MA for New England Championship Wrestling in a Boston street fight. Match No. 3 will be 7/7 in Hopkins, MN for Steel Domain Wrestling (where both wrestlers worked early in their careers) in an “I quit” match.
Stage Two: June 8, 2012 – New England Championship Wrestling – Bridgewater, MA
The NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship was on the line as Colt Cabana (Champion) faced “Scrap Iron” Adam Pearce (Challenger) in a Boston Street Fight. It was clear early on that the ring would not be able to contain this war as the action spilled to the outside and all over the Knights of Columbus. No chair, table, or wall was safe as these two warriors battled to every corner of the building. In the end, a bloodied Pearce fell victim to Cabana’s Billy Goat’s Curse submission hold, and despite not submitting, passed out from the pain and the blood loss, giving Cabana another victory and a 2-0 lead in the best of seven series.
Stage Three: July 7, 2012 – Steel Domain Wrestling – Hopkins, MN
Colt Cabana and “Scrap Iron” Adam Pearce went to war in a brutal “I Quit” match for Stage Three of “Seven Levels of Hate” on July 7 in Hopkins, MN for Steel Domain Wrestling. Cabana and Pearce will meet in Stage Four, a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match, on July 21 in Kansas City, KS for Metro Pro Wrestling. Cabana now leads the series 3-0; if Pearce loses Stage Four, he will lose the series and leave the NWA forever.
Stage Four: July 21, 2012 – Metro Pro Wrestling – Kansas City, KS
Less than forty-eight hours after defeating Colt “Boom Boom” Cabana to become a five-time NWA World’s Heavyweight Champion, “Scrap Iron” Adam Pearce has already come to realize that he’s still only one loss away from his storied NWA career coming to an end. “One win at a time,” said a newly crowned Pearce with a smirk on his face. “I got one on Saturday to stave off elimination, and it feels great, but my work is nowhere near complete.”
Pearce was visibly emotional after getting his hand raised in Kansas City. “I was prepared emotionally win or lose. I knew it was either win or go home. I had one last swing when it counted, and whether you like it or not, I hit it out of the park.” Cabana understandably had a different take. “It doesn’t surprise me in the least,” the former two-time champ said. “You don’t become World’s Champion without ability and it took him four matches but he got one and that’s okay. I would have been surprised if he didn’t. That said, it’s still my series and Stage Five is right around the corner. He can celebrate (last weekend), but come tomorrow its back to work because his days are still numbered. I know it, the fans know it, and deep inside, Adam Pearce knows it.”
Indeed “Seven Levels of Hate” will continue, now with Pearce as the champion but still at a huge 3-1 disadvantage in the series. With the five-time champion still only one loss away from a forced exile from the NWA, you would think the “Scrap Daddy” would be cautious. Not so says Pearce. “Call whatever you want. Call it inevitable, call it a foregone conclusion, call it a matter of time. It doesn’t matter one bit to me. I set out to beat Cabana and now I know what that tastes like. And I like it a whole lot more than I thought I would. I welcome Stage Five with a smile on my face and when I beat (Cabana) in Boston they’ll say ‘he will get it done in six’. And then I’ll win in Oregon. And once that is done we’ll come home to Los Angeles where it all began and I’ll bury him. Tell me, what will “Boom Boom” and the experts say then?”
“Seven Levels of Hate” continues on Saturday, August 18 in Bridgewater, Massachusetts for New England Championship Wrestling. They will do battle once more in a DOG COLLAR MATCH! Can Cabana take the title back and Pearce’s career in one fell swoop all the while chained to the man that called for blood to begin with?
Stages Six and Seven, if they become necessary, will be announced as scheduled.
NWA DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/user/NWADocumentary.
A brand new documentary “History and Tradition – The Story of the National Wrestling Alliance” has been released on DVD. The 2 hour documentary looks at the history of the brand and where it stands today.
“The National Wrestling Alliance is the oldest sanctioning and governing body in professional wrestling. The NWA World Title has the most storied history in the sport dating back to the 1900’s. follow the history and Tradition of the most prestigious world title in wrestling from its creation to the modern era of the NWA today. Learn of the great athletes who held the title, also the ones many say should never have held it, to the ones fighting to keep the heritage alive. The NWA World Title has had its highs and lows but it’s importance has never been tarnished. To many the NWA World Title represents a legacy that will never die. Does it still mean anything? Find out in History & Tradition: The Story of the National Wrestling Alliance.”
To order the documentary, visit www.highspots.com.
NWA World Titles
NWA World Heavyweight Champion: Adam Pearce
Defeated Colt Cabana in Kansas City on July 21, 2012
NWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion: Kevin Douglas
Determined on 10-7-11 in 8 Man Tournament in Charlotte, NC
NWA World Tag Team Champions: Dark City Fight Club (Kory Chavis & Jon Davis)
Defeated: Usual Suspects (Murder 1 & AJ Steele) in Warner Robins, GA on 5-29-11
NWA World Womens Champion: Tasha Simone
Defeated Tiffany Roxx on December 25, 2011 in Lebanon, TN
NWA World Minis Champion: Octagoncito
Defeated El Espanito on September 20, 2009 in Watsonville, CA to become first champ.
NWA North American Titles (United States & Canada)
NWA North American Heavyweight Champion: Shaun Tempers
Defeated Ace Rockwell in Tournament final on 6-25-11 in Cornelia, GA
NWA North American Tag Team Champions: Rochester Wrescking Crew
Rochester Wrecking Crew def Colin Delaney and Jimmy Olson on Dec 3, 2011
Team Mega vacated titles, Nov 30, 2011
NWA National Titles (United States)
NWA National Heavyweight Champion: Tokyo Monster Kahagas
Tokyo Monster Kahagas def Chance Prophet in Ft Lauderdale on 3-29-12
NWA Wildside featured stars like Current TNA Heavyweight Champion, “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles (TNA/WCW), Ron Killings (WWE/TNA), Abyss (Justice) (TNA), Jimmy Rave (TNA), Amazing Red (TNA), Tony Mamaluke (WWE/WCW/TNA), Air Paris (WCW), Hotstuff Hernandez (TNA), David Young (TNA), Kenn Phoenix (Kenn Doane/Dykstra) (WWE), Luke Hawx (Altar Boy Luke) (WSX), Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne) (WWE), Delirious (ROH), Mike Posey (WWE/TNA), “The Original Gangsta” New Jack (ECW/TNA) and many more. NWA Wildside served a development promotion for WCW and featured stars like The Beast (Bob Sapp), David Flair, Tank Abbott, Shannon Moore, Shane Helms, Mark Jindrak, Sean O’Haire, Elix Skipper, Jimmy Yang and many more. Wrestling legends like Dusty Rhodes, Dory Funk, Jr., Terry Taylor, Larry Zbsyzko, James E Cornette, The Rock & Roll Express (Ricky & Robert), Abdullah The Butcher, and many more all appeared on NWA Wildside TV.
A new tribute site for NWA WILDSIDE can now be found at www.nwawildside.com. Classic matches are also posted here. Also check on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/nwawildside.
Congratulations to JOHN JOHNSON who was named BEST ANNOUNCER for 2011 in the Georgia Wrestling History Awards
Check out NWA ANARCHY at www.nwaanarchy.net.
NWA ANARCHY HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: SHAUN TEMPERS
NWA ANARCHY TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: SLIM J & AZRAEL
NWA ANARCHY TV CHAMPION: BO NEWSOME
NWA ANARCHY YOUNG LIONS CHAMPION: ADRIAN HAWKINS
NWA ANARCHY TV TAPING results for 7-28-12
MIKE POSEY confronted FRANKLN DOVE to demand MIKE POSEY APPRECIATION DAY. REV DAN WILSON then “introduced” Posey to BENT who laid Posey out with a destroyer.
JERRY PALMER ordered a tag team title match
SEV7N & JACOBY BOYKINS vs SLIM J & AZRAEL (Champions) for the NWA ANARCHY TAG TEAM TITLE ended in DQ when UAS (Shadow & Nemesis) then the HATE JUNKIES (Stryknyn & Only) got involved.
BOBBY MOORE def JOHNNY DANGEROUS with the padded elbow. MORE said his elbow was “A whole more” than bionic.
CB GIBSON & TOMMY DANIELS def NAJASSISM & BUKU DAU
ADRIAN HAWKINS def ANTHONY HENRY to become new NWA ANARCHY YOUNG LIONS CHAMPION. JACOB ASHWORTH attacked HENRY helping in the win for Hawkins.
Ashworth attacked Henry postmatch.
JOHN SKYLER def JOEY RHYMER
MIKAL JUDAS, BRODY CHASE & BILLY BUCK def BO NEWSOM, JAGGED EDGE & SHAUN TEMPERS when Buck pinned Newsome after a Superkick
ANDREW PENDELTON introduced his BLACK BUTLER who def VANDAL. JT TALENT returned and ended up attacked by the BUTLER. Talent was able to fight back and drove Pendelton & Butler from the ring. talent challenged Pendelton to a match on August 11.
UAS (Shadow Jackson & Nemesis) def HATE JUNKIES (Dany Only & Syrknyn) in a HANGMAN’S MATCH. Postmatch Stryknyn was tied to the ring with zip ties as UAS distroyed ONLY as he hung by the next with repeated chair shots to the body until help came from the back.
NWA RAMPAGE PRO WRESTLING
Check out the website: www.rampageprowrestling.net.
Jimmy Rave is out as the booker at NWA Rampage Pro Wrestling. RPW Owner Dr. Johnny Gayton has decided to go with Murder One as his booker and Ben Masters as his promoter.
NWA RPW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: KYLE MATTHEWS
NWA RPW TV CHAMPION: DREW ADLER
NWA RPW TAG TEAM CHAMPION: THE CASH VAULT (MOORE & ADONIS)
Watch NWA RPW TV each Saturday on Macon’s Fox 24 at 9:00AM and MY41.2 at 10AM and Cox Communications Cable 11 in Middle Georgia Thurs 8PM & Sat noon or anytime at www.rampageprowrestling.net, plus Rampage Rewind on Cox Communications Cable 11 M, W, & F 5PM Fri & Sat 11:30PM & My41 Sat noon and at http://highspots.tv/category/video/free-videos/.
NWA PRO SOUTH WRESTLING
Check out the website: http://prosouthwrestling.com/.
NWA ProSouth Heavyweight Champion: Ace Haven
NWA ProSouth All-Out Champion: D2daC
NWA ProSouth Tag Team Champions: vacant
NWA ProSouth Wrestling was in Piedmont, AL on July 27th. Results: Crash Test Dummy defeated Stupid (w/Tweety). Dakota Outlaw defeated “Future Classic” Tyler Gage after “The Prodigy” Daniel Alexander interfered. Jed Johnson & NWA PSW Heavyweight champion Ace Haven (w/Amy Haven) defeated The BFFs (“Adorable” Anthony Andrews & “Marvelous” Michael Stevens) in a NWA PSW Tag Team championship qualifier match. Big Tomb defeated Scott Spade. NWA PSW All-Out champion d2daC defeated Brandon Collum and “The Prodigy” Daniel Alexander in a non title triple threat match.
NWA ACTION WRESTLING
Check out the website: http://www.nwaaction.com/.
Check out the website: www.dscw.org.
Watch NWA APW AFTERSHOCK at http://www.youtube.com/alternativepro.
APW TAG CHAMPS: HEAVY METAL
NWA NORTH GEORGIA CHAMP: SETH DELAY
NWA SOUTHERN STATES CHAMP: STRYKNYN
NWA Alternative Pro Wrestling presented Freedom Fight 2012, the peak show of the year on the APW calendar, featuring a role reversal rematch from last year between Stryknyn and Anthony Henry and a special appearance by Ricky Morton.
Untouchable Talent (Jeremy Vain & JT Talent) came out to a big pop. Vain said the ladies match wasn’t happening because the women had issues. Vain said he had one woman to deal with and if he could avoid the others for the rest of his life that would be a good thing. Vain added that management had hired a ring girl and introduced lovely Laura. Talent said he had no problem with Laura whatsoever. Vain didn’t either. This was an entertaining way to open the show. The chemistry between Vain and Talent was fun to watch.
(1) Don Matthews pinned Kevin Blue with the lariat at 1:13. Blue Introduced hisself as a beacon of light and the only hope APW has, and said he could beat any APW star past or present. He got past in the form of the Matthews, who is carrying more weight these days but he still moves well for a big guy.
(2) Dustin Knight defeated “Alabama Ambassador” Jacoby Boykins in 8:22. Knight is so over here that he’s like a completely different wrestler than at NWA Anarchy. There was no need to know the back story to understand this match because they made it clear it in the ring – Knight was out for payback for Boykins injuring his shoulder. Boykins used his massive size advantage to destroy Knight with power moves, using a bear hug to take the air out of Knight’s comeback. Knight got the crossface but Boykins powered out of it with a Samoan Drop. The finish saw Knight slip out of Boykins’ grasp for a jumping neckbreaker and hit a top rope leg drop for the pin. Good match. It’s tough to suspend disbelief with such a huge size difference, but they work so well together that they were able to pull it off.
“Unstoppable” Shadow Jackson addressed the crowd. Jackson said for weeks they had been listening to Yasir Akbar and his crony, Brandon Parker, talk about how no American could stand up to them, and he was going to whip the foreign thugs. The heels attacked Jackson and Morton ran down to make the save. Morton said some fans were probably wondering who that man from the old days is. Morton said he was the last one with a wrestler’s mullet and he loved it. Morton asked the fans if they wanted to see him team up with Jackson. That was a no brainer. Morton said it wasn’t about the old way or the new way, there was the right way and they were going to show it to the fans.
(3) Scott Mayson pinned Kameron Kade with his feet on the ropes at 5:40. This stuck out like a sore thumb on an otherwise totally respectable pro wrestling show. Fans took the opportunity to head to the concession stand. Mayson stunk it up with bad timing, weak strikes lousy ring positioning, and that’s not the half of it. Did anybody train this guy? Kade had a good look, but he’s facing a severe vertical challenge, and he wasn’t up to carrying Mayson.
Heavy Metal (Shane Hexxon & Calli Cannon) defeated APW Tag Champions Precious Metal (Ballenger & Revolution) and Just 2 Dudes (Jamie Cruz & Chris Spectra) and Untouchable Talent (Jeremy Vain & JT Talent) in an elimination match to regain the APW Tag Team Title in 16:51. Interesting back story to this match with trust issues across the board. Vain was having doubts about Talent because of the way they lost the titles. However, Talent appeared to be innocent of any intentional wrong doing. The heels had problems of their own. Revolution and Ballenger were lackey members of Heavy Metal, but they lucked into the titles and declared themselves to be Precious Metal. Early on, there was a four way collision of heels that looked pretty ugly. The metal teams worked on Cruz. Dudes did a silly looking battering ram routine. Vain brought his moonsault out of the mothballs. Revolution used a belt shot on Cruz and he was pinned by Ballenger. Talent immediately pinned Ballenger with the Bail Out. HM had Vain in trouble and when he finally got a chance to tag, Talent walked out on him. The crowd didn’t react much to this. Evidently they were too stunned by the swerve. Hexxon then pinned Vain with a piledriver. This was a good match when Vain, Talent or Hexxon were in the ring. Hexxon has major upside as a heel. He’s got the size, the look of a psychopathic felon and he can work.
(5) Seth Delay defeated James Boulevard to retain the APW North Georgia Championship in 9 minutes. Boulevard previously held the title and the contract of Skirra Corvus. He used and abused Corvus before firing him, then lost the title to Delay. This was a see saw battle. Boulevard did some comical selling when he came off the top and ate Delay’s boot. Delay busted out the bolo punch. The pace picked up down the stretch. Delay kicked out of Boulevard’s superkick. Boulevard capitalized on a ref bump with a mule kick to the nuts. Boulevard then hit a german suplex with a bridge, but Delay got his shoulder up and Boulevard didn’t. The fans were surprised when Delay was announced as the winner, but that was nothing compared to the state Boulevard was in.
Boulevard demanded a rematch. Delay said he had twice proven who the real king of Royston was, but since Boulevard liked playing king to Corvus, he was the one demanding a rematch – his title versus Boulevard’s contract. I marveled at how smooth and relaxed Delay was on the mic. He had the people eating out of his hand.
(6) Ricky Morton & Shadow Jackson defeated Yasir Akbar & Brandon Parker in 9:40. Parker and Akbar did a good job as the hapless heels and they fed Morton well on the hot tag. Morton’s big move was a high kneelift. Jackson took the heat. Best thing here was a crisp combo of strikes by Parker for a near fall. A strong “let’s go Shadow” chant signaled it was time for the 1031 and the hot tag was made. All four in. Akbar missed the straps down fist drop on Ricky and Jackson pinned him with the stunner. So simple and it worked like a charm.
(7) Stryknyn defeated Anthony Henry via submission to retain the NWA Southern States Championship in 20:29. Stryknyn is more over as the babyface champion than Henry ever was. Brutal back and forth to start. Henry spit water in Stryk’s face to gain the advantage. Stryk did a twisted version of the Garvin stomp. When Stryk tried to use his belt on Henry, Byers took it away, but Stryk was wearing two belts. Stryk did an insane long distance dive to the floor. He was lucky not to blow his knee out. Stryk damaged his leg tumbling over the ring steps. Henry went after the injury with Stryk trying to protect it like a wounded animal. Henry tortured Stryk with leg submission. Stryk’s selling was tremendous here. At 12 minutes in, Stryk mustered up a spinebuster and launched a comeback. Henry tried for the cloverleaf but Stryk reversed into an Anaconda Vise. Henry snapped Stryk’s neck of the top rope and went up for missile dropkick, but Stryk planted him with a powerbomb for a near fall. Stryk’s leg was giving him fits. Henry got the cloverleaf fully applied. Stryk twice reached the ropes only to have Henry pull him back to ring center. The third time Byers made Henry release the hold. The fans started a “crybaby Henry” chant. Stryk hit an Alabama Slam and tried for the spear, but Henry cut him off and dropped him on his head with a german suplex. Stryk kicked out for a great false finish. Henry kicked out of the spear for another falsey. They battered each other with stiff blows, until Stryk hit a uranage and locked in the Anaconda Vise. Henry tried to roll through but there would be no escape, and he was forced to tap.
Comparing this match to the one last year is comparing apples to oranges. Last year’s match was surprisingly great. This time greatness was expected. The 2011 match was blood and guts inside a steel cage and they did a smart thing by not trying to top it. This was a wrestling match with more nuance, which was just fine in its own right, because both are better wrestlers than they were a year ago.
NWA SMOKY MOUNTAIN
The Championship Wrestling Alliance, based in the Tri-Cities area of Northeast TN, has presented top quality wrestling events for the last 7 years. Their television show, Championship Wrestling TV has aired consecutively in their home market for over 6 years. The show’s current timeslot is at Noon on Saturdays on Tri-Cities CW 4. The show is posted online at ChampionshipWrestlingTV.com every week and has been available in the past in national syndication via AMG-TV.
The NWA Smoky Mountain Event Center is Now Online at http://youtu.be/8QOkrRZCwAw.
NWA RING WARRIORS
Check out the website: http://www.nwaringwarriors.com.
NWA Ring Warriors crowned the NWA Ring Warriors Bahamas Champion May 30 as Chance Prophet defeated the giant Titan in Nassau, Bahamas.
CCW+ NWA Ring Warriors + Pabo Marquez open a state of the art Pro Wrestling Training school in Ft Lauderdale.
NWA ON FIRE
Check out the website: http://www.nwaonfire.com/.
Lots of stuff going on here at NWA Wrestling On Fire, we’ve updated our news for the week of July 22nd, 2012. Three huge events for NWA Wrestling On Fire in August. On Thursday evening, August 9th we return to the Topsham Fair for the third year in a row. Then on Friday night, August 10th, we make our return to Springvale, Maine with a mega main event announced – Island Warrior Makua challenges Brian Fury for the Heavyweight Championship in a 2 out of 3 falls event! Plus Da Hoodz, M1nute Men battle a mystery team and the Tag Team Gold is on the line that and so much more. Tickets are on sale, plus those who have served in the United States Military and are in Uniform for the Springvale event, your admission will be free! A thank you from us for the hard work our Men and Women do to keep our country free!
Then, Monday August 20th, we make our debut at the Union Fairgrounds in Union, Maine. It’s going to be a hot hot hot summer folks, and we just keep bringing the mega events to a town near you.