WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Date: March 21, 2016
– We go to the ring and Lilian Garcia introduces Stephanie McMahon. She comes out to boos. She says her husband won’t be here tonight and if fans want refunds, they better go get them now. She says Triple H isn’t here because he has WWE corporate responsibilities, not because of Reigns’ vicious attack last week. She goes on about Reigns and Triple H until the music hits and out comes Reigns to the stage.
Reigns makes his way to the ring and she accuses him of waiting until she said Triple H isn’t here to come out and intimidate her. She starts talking about her husband will beat him at WrestleMania and he shushes her. Reigns asks if we want to know the real reason Triple H isn’t here. Reigns says Triple H didn’t want to come to Philly because he knew he would whip his ass all over Broad Street. Reigns says if we thought last week was bad, wait until WrestleMania. Reigns says he’s walking into Stephanie’s stadium, going into her ring and beating her husband to take Reigns’ title. He says there’s nothing Stephanie or her daddy’s money can do about it. She goes to slap him but he catches it. Reigns says now he’s the authority. He tosses the mic and leaves the ring as his music hits.
AJ Styles vs. WWE Intercontinental champion Kevin Owens in a non-title match
Back from the break and out comes AJ Styles to a pop. WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens is out next for this non-title match.
They lock up and Owens applies a side headlock as fans start chanting for AJ. AJ finally fights out but Owens rocks him with elbows to the jaw and puts the headlock back on. Owens takes AJ to the mat now. AJ breaks free and runs the ropes for a big dropkick. Owens goes to the floor for a time out. AJ with a moonsault from the apron but he lands on his feet. He charges and Owens launches him into the barrier as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and AJ fights out of another hold in the ring but Owens drops him and plays to the crowd as they boo him. Styles comes back with a scissors and an enziguri to bring Owens down. AJ unloads with strikes and kicks. AJ with a clothesline and more offense. AJ with a splash in the corner. More back and forth. Styles slams Owens face first for a 2 count.
Styles fights Owens off with elbows but gets the pele kick blocked. Owens nails a big clothesline and a cutter for a 2 count. Owens is frustrated as fans chant for AJ again. Owens misses the corner cannonball. AJ with the fireman’s carry onto his knee for a 2 count. AJ with a big right hand in the corner. He tries to take Owens up but Owens fights him. AJ takes Owens to the top for a hurricanrana but Owens holds on and AJ hits the mat. Owens nails a big frogsplash but AJ kicks out at 2. Owens gets up first and calls for the end. Styles avoids the pop-up powerbomb and nails an elbow to the jaw. They trade strikes in the middle of the ring now. Owens with a big superkick. AJ with a pele kick. They both go down and we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Owens takes AJ to the top. He stops to argue with the referee but nails several big chops. AJ fights back. Owens with another big chop before climbing up. Styles escapes and goes to the mat. He nails the Rack Bomb for a 2 count. AJ ends up going to the top but Owens gets to his feet and stops him. Owens with more chops while AJ is on top. AJ fights him off again. AJ brings Owens up but Owens gets AJ on his shoulders. AJ slides down and nails a powerbomb from the corner for a 2 count. AJ goes to the apron and waits for Owens to get up but we hear Chris Jericho come out on the mic. Jericho is chanting for AJ, distracting him. AJ turns back to the ring and springboards in but Owens catches him. AJ counters and goes for the Calf Crusher but stops to jump at Jericho on the apron. Owens takes advantage and rolls AJ up for the win.
Winner: Kevin Owens
– After the bell, Styles runs out of the ring and chases Jericho to the back as we go to replays with Owens clutching his title in the corner. We come back and Owens has the mic. He raises his title and says this is The Kevin Owens Show. He says the biggest WWE event in history will take place in 13 days and everyone wants to know who will face him for his title at KO Mania. He’s interrupted by Dolph Ziggler in a suit. Ziggler enters the ring and says he should be the one to take the title from Owens at WrestleMania. The Miz interrupts next and says Ziggler should step aside for a real leading man that has actually main evented WrestleMania before. Ziggler and Miz have words until Sami Zayn’s music hits. Sami respects what they’ve accomplished but he’s been waiting a long time to get his hands on Owens again. Sami can’t think of a better time or place to do it than for the Intercontinental Title at WrestleMania. Miz calls him Skinny Seth Rogen and says he will have to wait a lot longer. Owens is outside of the ring now. He says none of them deserve a shot at his title but in the interest of fairness and because he is a fighting champion, he’s going to The Authority to see if we can’t get a Triple Threat with the winner going on to face him at WrestleMania. Owens’ music hits as Ziggler, Sami and Miz argue in the ring.
– Still to come, Dean Ambrose vs. Braun Strowman. We get video from earlier today with Ambrose out and about in Philly. He’s in a bar with WWE Hall of Famer Terry Funk. Funk puts Ambrose over as being crazy tough like only Funk can. Funk has something he wants Ambrose to have because he’s the best in the country. Funk says if he had a son, he’d want him to be just like Ambrose. Funk gives Ambrose a chainsaw from his Chainsaw Charlie days. We hear fans chanting “ECW” as Funk gives Ambrose the gift and walks off. Ambrose starts the chainsaw up and cuts through a table in the bar as customers look on and we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Owens is in the office with Stephanie McMahon. He puts himself over but she tells him it’s a bad night, hurry and get to the point. He proposes the Triple Threat with Zayn, Miz and Ziggler. She makes the match. He tells her to tell Hunter he said hi and walks off.
– WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day are backstage dancing with employees as we go to commercial.
Big E vs. Rusev
Back from the break and The League of Nations is in the ring. Sheamus talks about the beatdown they gave last week and says The New Day isn’t even in their league. We get a replay from last week. King Barrett mocks the power of positivity. Alberto Del Rio tries to get a “New Day sucks” chant going but Big E’s voice interrupts and out come the WWE Tag Team Champions.
The League leaves the ring as The New Day cuts promos. They pull out a trash bag and Xavier Woods does a promo on The League being trash. Kofi Kingston cuts a promo on Rusev having bad feet. He says Del Rio used to have a limousine and his own ring announcer but now he’s stuck in The League. Kofi mocks Barrett for being a poor excuse for a king. They then knock Sheamus because his parents gave him that name, which sounds like shame. They say The League can fix all their problems with a box of Booty O’s cereal. They get a chant going as The League tries to attack. This turns into a big brawl at ringside. The League is down at ringside at The New Day stands tall in the ring ans Woods plays the trombone. Big E waits for Rusev in the ring. The bell rings and Rusev goes right to the floor. Big E follows and goes to work on him. Big E brings Rusev back in and stomps away in the corner.
Big E with a big shoulder in the corner and a 2 count. We go to commercial with Big E still in control.
Back from the break and Rusev has Big E down in a headlock. He keeps control and works Big E over as he tries to fight back. Rusev drops a big elbow and applies another headlock. Big E ends up catching Rusev with a belly-to-booty suplex out of the corner. Big E with another belly-to-booty and a third. Big E dances over Rusev and goes for the splash but Rusev gets his knees up. Rusev with the spin kick and a close 2 count. We see Kofi and Woods still down at ringside from The League attacking them. Rusev with a big splash in the corner.
Big E ducks a big kick but misses the Big Ending. Big E slams Rusev out of the corner for a 2 count. He looks out at Kofi and Woods down in the timekeeper’s area. Rusev is on the apron when Big E charges with a spear but hits Rusev’s knee. Rusev with a kick to the head for a 2 count. Big E backdrops Rusev and runs the ropes for the big splash and a 2 count. Barrett distracts Big E, allowing Rusev to hit a superkick for a 2 count. Woods gets up at ringside and takes Del Rio down face first. He sends Barrett into the ring post and nails Del Rio again. He turns around to a big kick from Sheamus. Sheamus argues with the referee on the apron now. Rusev stomps on Big E’s back and goes for The Accolade but Big E fights him. Big E stands with an electric chair drop. Sheamus argues with the referee on the apron again. Big E spears him and they both hit the floor. Kofi comes out of nowhere and nails Rusev while the referee is distracted. Big E comes in with a Big Ending on Rusev for the win.
Winner: Big E
– After the match, we go to replays as The New Day celebrates. The League retreats and looks back.
– Still to come, Vince McMahon’s Hell In a Cell announcement. Also, Dean Ambrose vs. Braun Strowman. The graphic interrupts and we go somewhere to Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman with cryptic comments about pain and sacrifice. Braun says the gods of war are watching over him and he sacrifices Dean Ambrose for his family tonight. Wyatt says this will all be over soon and when the sun rises again, he will finally sit on his eternal throne. Wyatt laughs and tells us to run as we go to commercial.
Big Show says he’s been coming to Philly for more than 20 years and he thanks them for always keeping it real. Big Show says he has to be confident and believe he’s the best giant of all-time but Andre is really the greatest of all-time because he was the first and paved the way for other giants. He says all giants strive to be like Andre. Show says when he won last year it meant a lot to him. Show comments how he hasn’t won a lot of battle royals in his career and says he’s looking to be a two-time Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal winner this year. Show thanks everyone and goes to leave but The Social Outcasts interrupt.
Heath Slater talks first and knocks Show. Bo Dallas makes a weird comment about how they will come together to take Big Show out. Curtis Axel says they will have no problem tossing Show over the top rope. Adam Rose chimes in and says this is serious because Show is in serious trouble. They enter the ring and Show grabs Slater by his neck when he won’t shut up. They beat Show down until the pyro hits on the stage and Kane comes out. They keep stomping on Show until Kane enters the ring. Kane sends them all to the floor. Show gets up and hugs Kane, thanking him. Show says Kane is the man and hits the corner to pose. Kane comes from behind and taps on Show’s shoulder. Kane brings him to the mat with a chokeslam. Kane stands over Show and makes the ring explode as his music hits.
– Still to come, a WrestleMania Rewind match with Fandango vs. Chris Jericho. Back to commercial.
Chris Jericho vs. Fandango
Back from the break and Chris Jericho is out after Fandango. Jericho controls most of the short match early on until Fandango goes to the top. AJ Styles comes out and distracts Jericho on the mic but Jericho is still able to get the win with a Walls of Jericho.
Winner: Chris Jericho
– After the match, Styles runs down the ramp and enters the ring for a fight but Jericho retreats to the floor. Styles takes the mic and says maybe Jericho is just the best at running from him. Styles says he has competed all over the world but one place he hasn’t competed is WrestleMania, as he points up at the banner hanging. Styles challenges Jericho to a match at WrestleMania. Styles says he will show Jericho and the world why fans chant his name. Styles tries to get a chant going as Jericho looks on and Styles’ music hits.
– We get more hype for Shane vs. Taker as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get another nice video on Shane vs. Taker with comments from Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Pat Patterson, Edge, Booker T, John Cena, trainers, Chris Jericho, Road Dogg, JBL, Steve Austin and others talking about the match.
– Still to come, Vince’s big announcement. We see Kevin Owens backstage talking to referees as we go to commercial.
#1 Contenders Triple Threat: Zack Ryder vs. Stardust vs. Sin Cara
Back from the break and WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens is in the ring. He introduces the three Superstars who will compete for a chance to face him at WrestleMania 32 – Stardust, Sin Cara and Zack Ryder. The bell rings and they all go at it as Owens joins the announcers.
Dolph Ziggler, Sami Zayn and The Miz all come down towards the end of the match and argue with Owens at ringside. The match gets called off as a big brawl breaks out at ringside. Owens brings Cara in the ring and throws him into Sami. Everyone hits the ring and starts brawling now. Owens retreats as his music hits with the other Superstars looking on from the ring.
Winner: No contest
– We get a look back at Reigns and Stephanie in the opener.
– Stephanie is backstage on the phone with someone, presumably Triple H. She has a bad feeling about Reigns and is thinking about leaving. She tells him he made a good decision in not coming to the arena tonight and she will see him in the parking lot in a few minutes. Kevin Owens runs in and this leads to Stephanie putting him in a 7-man match for the title at WrestleMania 32. He pisses her off and she makes it a Ladder Match against Sami, Sin Cara, Ziggler, Miz, Stardust and Ryder.
– Back from the break and Stephanie meets Triple H in the parking lot. They kiss and she thanks him for coming to get her. The garage door opens and we see Reigns in all black. He opens the door to their SUV and pulls Triple H out. Reigns beats Triple H up for a few minutes but Triple H decks him and climbs in the SUV. It speeds off as Reigns watches. Back to commercial.
We go to the ring and Natalya is making her entrance after a look back at the Charlotte, Becky and Sasha segment from SmackDown. WWE Divas Champion Charlotte is out next with Ric Flair.
Sasha and Becky argue on commentary all through the match. Charlotte ends up getting the win with a Natural Selection after a good back and forth non-title match.
– After the match, Charlotte celebrates and taunts her WrestleMania 32 opponents. Sasha and Becky both stand up from commentary and stare her down.
– We get a look back at the segment with Dean Ambrose and Terry Funk from earlier tonight. Still to come, Ambrose vs. Strowman. Back to commercial.
– WWE did air the Stan Hansen Hall of Fame announcement earlier.
Bubba Ray Dudley vs. R-Truth
Back from the break and out come The Dudley Boyz as R-Truth waits in the ring. Bubba talks a bunch of trash to Truth as some ECW chants start in the crowd. Bubba works Truth over and talks trash as does D-Von Dudley.
Fans chant for tables as Truth starts to make a comeback. Truth hits the heel kick and then knocks D-Von off the apron. He turns around to a big shot from Bubba for the win.
Winner: Bubba Ray Dudley
– After the match, D-Von joins in and they beat Truth down until Goldust runs out for the save. He goes at it with Bubba and then D-Von. The Dudleyz take back control until The Usos run out. They go at it with The Dudleyz in a preview of their WrestleMania 32 match. The Dudleyz get dropped with superkicks. The Usos go under the ring and bring a table in. They stand the table up and lay D-Von on top of it. They go up for Superfly Splashes but Bubba pulls D-Von to safety as fans boo. The Usos’ music hits as The Dudleyz retreat and Bubba talks more trash.
– Still to come, Vince McMahon’s Hell In a Cell announcement. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Vince McMahon to a pop. Vince enters the ring and tells everyone to be be nice, be kind. He gets some boos. Vince reminds us his former son Shane McMahon will face The Undertaker at WrestleMania 32 in Hell In a Cell.
Vince says Shane taking control of RAW would likely mean his daughter and son-in-law leaves the business. He says that would also probably mean that we see the last of him. Fans cheer and Vince eggs them on. He shows us a replay from last week’s segment. Vince goes on and says The Undertaker is also his bitch. Vince says if Taker doesn’t defeat Shane, this WrestleMania will be his last. Vince smiles and his music hits.
Dean Ambrose vs. Braun Strowman
Dean Ambrose’s music hits as Vince is still on the stage. Ambrose comes out anyway and walks right past Vince on his way to the ring. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and they hype this week’s SmackDown with Brock Lesnar as Paul Heyman is now on commentary. Braun Strowman is out next with Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper and Erick Rowan. The bell rings and Ambrose avoids an attack in the corner. Ambrose avoids another and jabs Braun. He goes behind and takes shots at Braun. Braun drops him with a big shoulder. Braun beats Ambrose around now. Ambrose nails him in the face but Braun no sells it. Ambrose sends him over the top and staggers him. Ambrose dives out and drives Braun into the barrier but hes still standing. Ambrose runs the ropes again for a dive but Braun decks him. Braun pulls Ambrose and works him over before launching him into the barrier.
Braun brings it back in the ring and keeps Ambrose grounded. Strowman with a big clothesline and then tosses him across the ring. Strowman with more trash talking as he uses the bottom rope. Braun pulls Ambrose into another big clothesline and another as The Wyatt Family looks on from ringside. Ambrose ends up on Braun’s back for a sleeper hold. Braun goes down to one knee as Wyatt yells at Braun to fight out. Braun drives Ambrose back into the corner and runs at him with a big shoulder thrust. Ambrose hits the mat as Braun keeps control and Wyatt yells about punishment.
Fans chant “this is boring” as Strowman keeps control. He stands tall and poses over Ambrose as fans boo. Ambrose finally makes a comeback and unloads with forearms. Ambrose with a kick to the gut. Braun blocks Dirty Deeds and sends Ambrose into the corner. Braun charges but Ambrose moves and he hits the ring post. Ambrose grabs a steel chair and nails Braun with it for the disqualification.
Winner by disqualification: Braun Strowman
– After the bell, Ambrose comes in the ring and continues with the chair shots. The Wyatts try coming in but he swings at them. He turns around to a big shot from Braun and goes down. Ambrose comes back with a big clothesline and Dirty Deeds on the chair. Ambrose goes to ringside to taunt Heyman at the announcers table. RAW goes off the air with Ambrose’s music playing and the WrestleMania banner in the background as he’s beside Heyman at ringside.