Doc & Les were joined this week by former WWE announcer Kevin Kelly for â€˜hot topicâ€™ and the discussed TNA’s new audition policy, as well as training techniques and stories of WWE Superstars when they started out.
The featured interview began with Rob Conway being welcomed to the show.
– Les points out that he knew Rob before OVW and Conway noted that Les was the first promoter he got paid to wrestle for
– Les Thatcher says that Rob knew the â€˜business properly, from the ground upâ€™ & Rob Conway points out when you start out in the pro-wrestling business that â€˜you have to crawl, before you can walkâ€™.
– Les talks about when he had HWA as the WWE developmental territory , with Val Venis, Dâ€™lo Brown, Justin Credible & Tommy Dreamer wrestling for him and noted that Rob should have worked developmental if there wasnâ€™t anything for him on the main roster.
– Rob then spoke about his WWE release in some detail, and cites the reason he was given.
– Conway noted that Nick Dinsmore came up with the â€˜Eugeneâ€™ character and that The Bashams were secondary characters to JBL and that they could both come back to WWE and be fresh characters because the fans didnâ€™t know see â€˜who they really are & what they could really doâ€™
– Doc asks would a wrestler being given a gimmick under a mask/helmet be the end of your career. Rob pointed out that Glen Jacobs worked under a mask as Kane which got over and was a successful gimmick. He emphasises you have to embrace a mask gimmick you are given and believe in it. Conway continues by saying sometimes wrestlers are given gimmicks/characters to punish them and if a wrestler embraces their character/gimmick & it gets over the creative team usually put a stop to it.
– Les says creative doesnâ€™t seem to match the character to the person they give the character too. He noted the key to successful character/gimmick is to feel comfortable with it & if you donâ€™t, you canâ€™t sell it to anyone. Rob talks about how thereâ€™s around thirty wrestlers on the main rosters and only a small creative, so wrestlers can get lost in the shuffle. He continued by pointing out that wrestlers who earn the most money are pushed, otherwise they would be paying them to sit at home. Rob Conway said that creative should let wrestlers have some input when characters are being devised and given to them. Robâ€™s example is his character and said they couldnâ€™t write for him as they wouldnâ€™t know how to be an â€œarrogant performerâ€.
– Doc asked Rob Conway if he was given scripts to learn, line by line and Conway noted that in OVW when Jim Cornette was there, they had bullet points in their promoâ€™s. Rob goes onto say that he was told that they loved his â€˜iron manâ€™ character in OVW and Conway stated â€˜that was just me, being meâ€™. In contrast, whilst he was one half of La Resistance, Rob Conway says he wasnâ€™t French and isnâ€™t Anti-American and sometimes had to be explained what the words meant he said to say in promoâ€™s. He continued by saying â€˜everything I said on TV, for the most part, was written for meâ€™. Rob emphasises that wrestlers arenâ€™t professional actors and got into the wrestling business because they wanted to be the next Dusty, Superstar Billy Graham, Jerry Lawler & Hulk Hogan.
– Rob Conway says that the writers put emphasis more on the mic time/promoâ€™s than on the wrestling itself. He notes that the guys on TV now you canâ€™t impersonate because â€˜thereâ€™s nothing to impersonateâ€™ and gave examples of people doing Hulk and Macho Man impressions but there isnâ€˜t a real stand out catchphrase now, like there was.
– Les then talks about Santino Marella and that WWE are trying to push him as a fighter, but heâ€™s not. Rob said that Santino is in a tough spot he won the Intercontinental title in his first match and highlighted that winning the IC Championship was his (Robâ€™s) goal, noting â€œI wanted to be the intercontinental championâ€œ. Winning the belt on his first night meant that it set Santino up for people to be a â€˜little jealous & maybe, really want him to failâ€¦now heâ€˜s turning to the heel side, heâ€˜s getting a bit more recognitionâ€¦I wish him the bestâ€
– Rob gave his thoughts on La Resistance and the gimmick, and whether he enjoyed it or not.
– Les says that Rob and Sylvan are taking bookings again as a tag-team. The e-mail for promoters to book them is [email protected] Les asks if Rob Conway will be part of World Allied Sports. Rob says he has talked with them a few times and that you canâ€™t count on a booking on the independent circuit until you get a deposit.
Time for questions from the Wrestling Weekly listeners in the live chat room.
– Takerfan asks if heâ€™s spoken to Rene Dupree since his release. Rob said he spoke to him the day he got released as Rene phoned Rob Conway to tell him that he requested his release. Rob continued by noting that Rene worked for Booker Tâ€™s promotion and then went to Japan
– RhodeIslandRed asked why did WWE split up the tag team of La Resistance and how did Rob and the others feel about it. Conway said that Rene was moved to â€˜SmackDown!â€™ and wanted to be a singles competitor, and how Muhammad Hassan’s character gave WWE reason to split up La Resistance.
– Doc asks Rob about the Con-man character. Conway said he came up with the idea and spoke with Vince about it and he liked them and the ideas/character was half-done. Rob said it was starting to get over and he was getting some baby face reactions. He went onto say that â€™Do It The Conwayâ€™ was getting over because fans like catchphrases and says that Armando was getting a reaction too when he said his name and the audience joining in.
– Rob Conway said one of the creative guys returned and he was then de-pushed and put on â€˜Sunday Night Heatâ€™ where he wrestled Greg Valentine & Koko B Ware. Rob then spoke in more detail about WWE creative and that what stands out, is what you create on your own.
– Doc then spoke with Rob about his theme music, which Conway notes is â€˜not entrance musicâ€¦itâ€˜s almost turn the channel musicâ€˜. When he first heard the music at the Gorilla Position he stood there and had to be told by Gerald Brisco that this was his music. Rob said his first reaction was â€˜What!â€™ & that he thought it was Kerwin Whiteâ€™s music. Doc points out wrestling fans say Robâ€™s music was one of their favourite themes. Conway said â€œthey probably didnâ€™t like it that much when they were in the arena!â€
– Mr Bucket in the chat room asks Rob which one wrestle he enjoys working with best in the wrestling. Rob Conway replied â€˜Eugene, by far. Iâ€™ve probably wrestled Nick Dinsmore/Eugene about five hundred timesâ€. He continued saying they were a tag team for four years. Les says when he first met Nick and Rob they looked alike and that people though him and Rob were brothers/cousins. Doc then spoke about the Eugene character in some detail & that he (Eugene/Nick Dinsmore) beat him in his first match in WWE.
– Rob Conway says he is now wrestling on the independent circuit for NWA Pro, in front of crowds on three shows for over 3,000 fans – two in Texas & one in Las Vegas. Robâ€™s goal, he says is to be the NWA World Champion. Rob Conway notes he is taking bookings at [email protected] or at www.myspace.com/therobconway
Rob is then thanked for being a guest and Les wishes him luck.