WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: Cleveland, OH
Date: September 16, 2013
Commentators: Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, and JBL
Tonight’s WWE RAW kicks off with a look back at Night of Champions where Ryback helped Paul Heyman defeat CM Punk. We also see footage of Daniel Bryan winning the WWE Title from Randy Orton.
– We’re live from The Q Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. Justin Roberts brings out new WWE Champion Daniel Bryan to a big pop. Bryan comes out and the fans start chanting his name. There are a lot of things that he’d like to say now but “YES!” says it best. Fans start chanting “yes” with Bryan. The music interrupts and out comes Triple H. Triple H marches to the ring and doesn’t look happy.
Triple H says before Bryan goes too far in congratulating himself, he wants to address the fast count from last night. It’s what social media is talking about, it’s what the talents are talking about. Triple H says Bryan’s victory is tainted and he wants to get to the bottom of it. Triple H calls out referee Scott Armstrong. Triple H shows footage of Armstrong’s normal count, when Orton pinned Bryan last night for a 2 count. Triple H then shows us footage of the fast count. Triple H wants everyone to see it clearly and shows us both counts side-by-side. There’s no doubt, it was a fast count. Armstrong says, “it was a fast count, I don’t know.” Armstrong says he made a mistake. Triple H says Armstrong is a senior official and that kind of fast count doesn’t just happen. Armstrong says he just made a mistake. Triple H isn’t buying it. Triple H tells Armstrong to get it out, what’s going on. Armstrong looks at Bryan. Triple H tells Armstrong to go to the back, he will deal with him later. Triple H says he’s ashamed of Bryan. He’s embarrassed himself and WWE by entering into a conspiracy with a WWE official. Bryan denies everything Triple H is saying. Triple H says he won’t be returning the WWE Title to Orton but as of this moment, Bryan is no longer WWE Champion. Triple H says he will investigate this further and possibly there may be a rematch but as of now, there is no WWE Champion. Triple H tells Bryan to do the right thing and hand over the belt. Triple H says Bryan has disgraced everyone. He thought Shawn Michaels would have taught Bryan better than this. Triple H tells him to hand over the belt or he will take it. Orton’s music hits and out he comes.
Triple H tells Orton to calm down, there won’t be any fight here. Triple H threatens to take the belt from Bryan again. Fans chant “no” as Bryan clutches the title. Bryan yells “no!” at Triple H and turns. Triple H snatches the belt from Bryan and Orton lays Bryan out with a RKO. Triple H leaves the ring with the WWE Title while Orton stands over Bryan. A “Randy sucks” chant breaks out. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Triple H is backstage talking to Stephanie McMahon. Orton runs up and yells at Triple H for what just happened. Stephanie gets in Orton’s face and goes crazy. She says he deserved to lose last night. She asks what happened to the Orton of old, the one who handcuffed Triple H and DDT’d her. She tells him to find that Orton and storms off.
Dolph Ziggler vs. United States champion Dean Ambrose (non-title)
WWE United States Champion Dean Ambrose waits in the ring as Dolph Ziggler makes his way out. The match starts off back and forth. We go to commercial after they end up outside on the floor.
Back from the break and Ambrose slams Ziggler for a 2 count. Ambrose works on the leg now. Ziggler makes a comeback but gets thrown to the apron. Ambrose with more offense and a superplex for a 2 count. Ambrose drops an elbow and goes for another pin attempt. Ziggler manages to counter a move and plant Ambrose with a big DDT. Ziggler with a dropkick and a splash in the corner. Ziggler mounts Ambrose with right hands as the crowd gets behind him. Ziggler with a running clothesline and a bunch of elbow drops for another 2 count. Ambrose catches Dolph with a spinebuster and covers for 2.
Ambrose with more right hands to the face. Ambrose goes for the neckbreaker but Ziggler rolls him up for 2. Ziggler misses in the corner and Ambrose slams him to the mat. Ziggler comes back and nails a Zig Zag for the non-title win. He’s earned another title shot.
Winner: Dolph Ziggler
– Big Show and Brad Maddox are backstage. Stephanie McMahon and Triple H are on their way, Maddox says. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and Maddox is talking to Triple H about Daniel Bryan competing tonight while Stephanie just stares down Big Show. Bryan vs. Roman Reigns is made. Maddox says Dusty Rhodes is here and walks off. Stephanie reminds Big Show that he’s broke and the unemployment line is long. She says tonight, he will sit down and stay in the office unless she needs him. Then she will call. Show says yes and calls her Mrs. McMahon.
– We see stills from the CM Punk vs. Paul Heyman and Curtis Axel match at Night of Champions. Ryback will speak later tonight.
Fandango vs. R-Truth
We go to the ring and out comes Fandango with Summer Rae. We go to commercial as they make their entrance.
Back from the break and out comes R-Truth. We see footage from SmackDown where Fandango, Truth, The Miz and The Great Khali competed in a dance contest.
They go at it and Truth takes control. Truth with lots of offense and a big leg drop for a 2 count. Truth tosses Fandango out of the ring and follows. Truth rolls Fandango back in but gets attacked. Fandango turns it around and whips Truth hard into the opposite corner. Fandango with a headlock now. Truth comes back with clotheslines and kicks. Another pin attempt by Truth. More back and forth. Fandango with a kick to the back of the head. Fandango goes up top and nails the big leg drop for the win.
– We see WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes backstage talking to various Superstars. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Dusty Rhodes to the ring. Dusty hits the ring and the fans pop for him. He appreciates the reaction but he’s not here as The American Dream tonight, he’s here as Virgil Runnels. He wants the McMahons to hear what he has to say. Dusty talks about the hard road that the McMahons have never been down. Dusty talks about having it rough and having love for your children. Dusty says this is about Cody Rhodes’ job. Dusty asks what the hell is good for business. Dusty talks about Goldust coming back to RAW. Dusty says he isn’t here to beg for Cody’s job. He just wants him to have the chance to earn it back. Dusty tells Stephanie to drag her long legs out here and get with it. Here she comes.
Stephanie says from one parent to another, that was remarkable. She says the decision to fire Cody has been weighing on she and Triple H. She hands Dusty a gift for Cody and his new bride. It’s a gift card for Bed, Bath & Beyond. Dusty throws it away. Stephanie says they want to offer Cody his job back. Dusty says they’re done, that’s it and walks off. Stephanie says or they can give that job to his older son, Goldust. The choice is Dusty’s. Dusty says he won’t make that choice. They have words and Dusty gets in her face for a second. Stephanie pokes at Dusty for being a bad father. Dusty brings up Stephanie’s kids and they argue some more. Stephanie says Dusty always makes it about himself. Dusty tells Stephanie to go to hell. Stephanie says she’s sorry Dusty feels that way and The Shield’s music hits. Out they come through the crowd.
They surround the ring and move in on Dusty but Stephanie calls them off. She has someone in the back who might be able to help and calls out Big Show. Stephanie says since Dusty couldn’t make that decision, he has to make another – get knocked out by Big Show or destroyed by The Shield. Dusty won’t so Stephanie makes the decision for him. She tells Show to knock Dusty out. Show starts crying and won’t hit him. Stephanie tells The Shield to get Dusty. They move in and Show warns them not to. Reigns brings in three steel chairs and hands them out. Fans chant for Big Show. He leans in and hugs Dusty, whispering something to him. Dusty nods and Show cries some more. He says he has no choice. The Shield taunts Show as Stephanie yells at him to do it. Show tells Dusty he’s sorry and knocks him out with a punch. Show catches Dusty and helps him fall to the mat. Show cries over Dusty as a doctor comes in to check on him. Stephanie and The Shield leave the ring. Doctors call for Dusty to be stretchered out as we go to replays. We go to commercial as Dusty is loaded onto a stretcher.
– Back from the break and we see what just happened with Dusty Rhodes.
– We go backstage and EMT’s are stretchering Dusty to an ambulance. Big Show walks with them and other WWE Superstars are looking on. Show rides off in the ambulance with Dusty.
Brie Bella, Naomi, and Cameron vs. Alicia Fox, Layla, and Aksana
WWE Divas Champion AJ Lee and Natalya are out on commentary for this one. Layla and Naomi start things off. Naomi hits a quick Rear View for a pin attempt. Cameron comes in and they double team.
Layla turns it around on Cameron and in comes Aksana for some double teaming in the corner. Alicia Fox comes in and keeps Cameron in their corner. Another tag to Aksana. More double teaming as Alicia tags back in. She takes down Cameron with a headlock. Brie finally tags in and goes at it with Aksana. Layla gets knocked off the apron as does Alicia. Brie yells that she should be champion. A big brawl breaks out. and Brie gets the pin on Aksana.
Winners: Brie Bella, Naomi, and Cameron
– After the match, Natalya and AJ have a staredown at ringside.
– The Miz is backstage talking to Brad Maddox as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see what happened to Dusty Rhodes again.
Damien Sandow vs. Rob Van Dam
We go to the ring and Damien Sandow waits. We see his Money in the Bank briefcase at ringside. Out next comes Ricardo Rodriguez to do the introduction for Rob Van Dam.
Sandow takes RVD down to the corner and stomps away. Sandow with pin attempts and more quick offense. Ricardo rallies the fans at ringside. Sandow with shoulder thrusts in the corner. RVD turns it around in the corner but Sandow sweeps him. Sandow with the Elbow of Disdain for a 2 count. Sandow with a headlock now. Back and forth in the corner. RVD with a crossbody for 2. RVD with clotheslines. RVD goes for Rolling Thunder but Sandow gets his knees up for a 2 count. More from RVD. He nails a thrust kick out of the corner. RVD nails the Five Star Frogsplash for the win.
Winner: Rob Van Dam
– After the match, Sandow takes a mic and says he’s guaranteed to be the next World Heavyweight Champion.
– Still to come, Randy Orton vs. The Miz. We go to commercial.
– Triple H is backstage when Scott Armstrong walks in. Triple H says he’s in a jam. The whole fast count thing has gotten out of control. There’s no WWE Champion right now and that’s a problem. Triple H says WWE officials have to be of integrity. Triple H offers Armstrong a really nice severance package and fires him. Triple H says he’s going to take care of Armstrong and everything will be alright.
Randy Orton vs. The Miz
We go to the ring and out comes Randy Orton to a pop. The Miz is out next to a pop from the hometown crowd. The Miz hugs his mother and father at ringside but Orton attacks him from behind. Orton unloads on Miz as his parents look on. The referee tries to get Orton to back off and finally he does. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and the match finally starts. Miz unloads on Orton in the ring. Orton turns it around and beats him down in the corner. Orton goes for the second rope draping DDT but Miz backdrops him to the apron. Miz sends Orton out to the floor before ramming him into the apron and then the barrier. Miz throws Orton into the barrier in front of his parents now. Orton counters and sends Miz into the ring post. The match is thrown out but Orton keeps the attack up. Orton tosses Miz over the announcers table and stomps on him some more. Orton brings Miz over the barrier and in the face of his parents. Miz fights back and beats Orton down in front of his family. Miz clotheslines Orton back over the barrier. Orton counters again and beats Miz some more in front of his parents. Orton hits the draping DDT from the barrier to the floor as Miz’s mother looks on. Orton brings Miz back into the ring and follows with a steel chair. Orton puts Miz’s head between the chair and hits a big running knee drop. Orton looks on as officials come in to check on Miz. We go to commercial.
Winner: The Miz via disqualification
– Back from the break and we see stills from CM Punk vs. Curtis Axel and Paul Heyman at Night of Champions, including Ryback making the save for Heyman.
– We come back to the ring and out comes Ryback. WWE Intercontinental Champion Curtis Axel is behind him and he’s pushing Paul Heyman in a wheelchair. Heyman is all smiles tonight. They stop on the stage and Heyman introduces himself. He declares himself the best in the world. It looks like Axel has stepped to the side while Ryback stands guard beside Heyman. Heyman rips the people of Cleveland. Heyman brags about pinning CM Punk.
Fans start chanting for Punk as Heyman goes on about his big win. Fans start chanting Goldberg at Ryback. Heyman says there was no back-up plan – Punk had him dead to rights. Punk beat him so bad that he’s confined to a wheelchair now. Heyman says it’s a miracle he’s not some vegetable rotting away in a nursing home. Heyman is here tonight because one man took the initiative to change history. One man stood up when all other Paul Heyman Guys sat down. Heyman says he’s here tonight and will continue to torment CM Punk because of the actions of this big beautiful man – Ryback. Heyman says he owes his life to Ryback.
Ryback says he can’t stand bullies and Punk bullied Heyman last night. Ryback says he doesn’t like anything about Punk and calls him a bully again. Ryback says he’s here to stop Punk. Ryback says Heyman never has to worry again because as long as he’s around, Punk will never put his hands on him. It looks like Heyman kisses Ryback on the cheek and it catches Ryback off guard. Ryback poses and says he rules before wheeling Heyman to the back.
– Still to come, Bryan vs. Reigns. We get another Los Matadores promo before going to commercial.
– We get a replay of Heyman kissing Ryback on the cheek.
Elimination Match: Tensai and Brodus Clay vs. Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro vs. The Usos
We go right to the ring and the match begins. The winner of this match will get a future title shot. Real Americans mix it up before it’s Uso vs. Clay. Uso with a big shot in the corner. Clay catches him in mid-air and slams Jimmy Uso hard. Clay with another slam. Clay barely hits a backbreaker and drops another splash. Clay tags in Cesaro. The Usos double team Cesaro in their corner. Cesaro fights back and nails a big uppercut. Cesaro suplexes Uso. Tensai tags himself in on Uso. Tensai grabs Cesaro and holds him high for about a minute before slamming him. 2 count by Tensai. Cesaro with an uppercut. Tensai with a right hand. Tensai clotheslines Cesaro to the floor. Tensai and Uso go at it now. Tensai drops Uso and runs over him with a big clothesline. Tensai knocks Swagger off the apron. Tensai drops Uso and covers for 2 but Cesaro, who had tagged himself in, rolls Tensai up and Tons of Funk are eliminated.
Cesaro stays in and goes at it with one of the Usos. They dump Uso out to the floor as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Swagger is in control of one of the Usos. During the break, Cesaro hit another giant swing. More tags and offense from the Real Americans. Fans start chanting for JBL and then Jerry Lawler. Uso finally tags in as does Swagger. Uso unloads. Cesaro gets sent to the floor. Samoan Drop on Swagger. Uso with the rear splash in the corner for a 2 count as Cesaro made the save. Usos leap out to the floor and take out Swagger and Cesaro. Zeb Colter looks on. Swagger applies the Patriot Lock but Uso rolls through and kicks Swagger away. Uso with a huge kick to the jaw. Uso climbs up top but Cesaro tries to stop him. The other Uso takes out Cesaro. Swagger suplexes Uso from the top but didn’t see the Usos tag. Jimmy Uso nails a splash from the top for the win and a future title shot.
Winners and New #1 Contenders: The Usos
– Cole has an update on The Miz – he does not have a broken neck but does have a broken thorax. Dusty Rhodes is being kept overnight at a local hospital.
– Still to come, Bryan vs. Reigns in the main event. We see footage from a reading celebration earlier today at a school in Detroit.
– Back from the break and we get another video from Bray Wyatt and The Wyatt Family. Bray talks about his world. In his world, when one of his animals are sick, he puts them down. We see clips of Bray hitting Sister Abigail on various Superstars. Bray says he’s going to put them all down.
– We see footage of what happened to Dusty Rhodes earlier tonight.
– We see Daniel Bryan walking backstage as lots of Superstars cheer him on. Brie Bella stops him and they hug. Bryan heads to the ring as we go back to break.
Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan
Back from the break and The Shield are in the ring. Daniel Bryan is out next to a big pop.
Before the match starts, Orton makes his way out to watch things from ringside. Rollins and Ambrose are also at ringside. The three have a private talk as the match begins. Bryan takes Reigns to the corner with kicks.
Bryan keeps control with kicks. He whips Reigns by his leg and keeps him grounded. Bryan works on the leg until Reigns kicks him off. Bryan with a headbutt and more kicks. Reigns turns it around in the corner now. More back and forth action. Bryan with another takedown and focus on the leg of Roman Reigns. Bryan unloads with forearm shots for a 2 count. Reigns with a huge clothesline to the back of the head. Reigns stomps away now. Bryan turns it around with more offense. He keeps working on the leg and Reigns goes back down. Reigns drops Bryan in the corner and works him over some more. Reigns with a big headbutt and another clothesline in the corner. Reigns nails a suplex and covers for 2. Reigns with another suplex and pin attempt. Reigns with a headlock now. Bryan fights to his feet but Reigns knocks him to the corner. Reigns charges in the corner but misses and gets dropped into the turnbuckle. Bryan with a big kick. Bryan goes to the top and nails a missile dropkick. Reigns ends up on the floor. Bryan runs the ropes and hits a suicide dive but Reigns catches him. Reigns rams Bryan into the apron and then tosses him into the barrier. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Bryan rolls Reigns up for 2. Reigns runs right over Bryan. Reigns works Bryan over while he sits up on top. Reigns climbs up for a superplex but Bryan blocks it. Bryan knocks Reigns to the mat with a headbutt. Bryan goes for the big flying headbutt but Reigns moves out of the way. 2 count by Reigns. Reigns with more offense and another pin attempt. Reigns taunts Bryan and talks some trash now. Bryan tries for a comeback but Reigns counters with a big sideslam for a 2 count. Reigns with another headlock now. Bryan finally rallies with the fans and clotheslines Reigns. Bryan with kicks to the chest now. Reigns ducks the roundhouse and nails a Samoan Drop for 2.
Reigns with right hands now. Reigns goes for the big powerbomb but Bryan rolls him up for a close 2 count. Bryan nails a roundhouse kick but can’t get the pin. Reigns rolls to the floor to regroup. Bryan attacks and sends Rollins into the announcers table. Bryan brings Reigns back in the ring and hits the big dropkick in the corner. A dropkick for Ambrose. Reigns counters and hits a big clothesline. Bryan with the Yes Lock on Reigns. Orton runs in and breaks it up for the disqualification.
Winner by DQ: Daniel Bryan
– After the bell, Bryan immediately applies the Yes Lock on Orton but The Shield makes the save. Orton and The Shield beat down Bryan. Orton grabs a steel chair and puts Bryan’s head in it like he did The Miz earlier. The Usos, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler, Rob Van Dam, Titus O’Neil, Darren Young and other WWE Superstars run out for the save. Reigns spears Kofi and goes to work on other stars. The Usos hit a double kick on Reigns, sending him to the floor. RVD takes out another member with a kick. Rollins is the only one left and he takes the big knee from Bryan. Bryan, the Superstars who made the save and the fans all chant “yes!” as Orton and The Shield retreat. Young and O’Neil hoist Bryan up on their shoulders as we go to replays. RAW goes off the air with everyone chanting “yes!” with Bryan.