WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: St. Louis, MO
Date: April 28, 2014
Commentators: Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, and JBL
Tonight’s WWE RAW Pre-show opens up with Josh Mathews, Booker T, Alex Riley and special guest Santino Marella. Mathews hypes tonight’s RAW. Santino hopes he can live up to the pre-show standards. Mathews plugs Hugh Jackman’s appearance for later. Riley talks about The Usos defending against Ryback & Curtis Axel. Booker reveals that Roman Reigns will face Randy Orton in singles action tonight. Mathews shows us footage of Kane destroying Daniel Bryan last week.
– We come back to the panel and they talk about how Stephanie McMahon will apologize to Bryan tonight. We see Sin Cara taking on what looks like Damien Sandow in the ring for Superstars. Mathews hypes Extreme Rules and we see Bray Wyatt‘s promo from last week and the match against John Cena. The panel talks about Wyatt vs. Cena. Riley says Wyatt is taking some of Cena’s fans. We go to Network promos.
– We come back and the panel talks about The Shield vs. Evolution as the crowd pops for Natalya coming out for a Superstars match. Her opponent is Tamina Snuka. Mathews hypes Reigns vs. Orton for later tonight. They talk about Rob Van Dam vs. Bad News Barrett in tonight’s tournament finals. We get a look back at last week’s tournament matches. Renee Young is backstage now with Barrett. Barrett says he actually has some good news tonight because the WWE Universe will only have to suffer through Big E for 6 more days. On Sunday, he’s going to have some very bad news for Big E. Booker predicts Barrett will get the win tonight. Riley hopes Big E gets Barrett and beats him for saying he has no personality. Emma pops up on the pre-show and scares Santino with her Cobra. We come back from more Network promos. Byron Saxton is backstage with The Usos. They’re not worried about losing the titles to Ryback and Curtis Axel tonight. We go back to the panel as Jerry Lawler makes his way out to a pop. Mathews plugs Hugh Jackman’s appearance one more time and talks about Orton vs. Reigns. Booker predicts Orton will win as does Santino. Riley predicts Reigns. That’s it for the pre-show.
– Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with a video for Bray Wyatt and John Cena. We’re live from the Scottrade Center as Michael Cole welcomes us. A steel cage is lowered around the ring. John Cena’s music hits and out he comes to a mixed reaction. Cena enters the cage as the announcers hype tonight’s show. Cena isn’t joking around tonight. He seems upset as he waits for the crowd to calm down. Cena asks why, twice. Cena asks fans why they voted him in a match against all three members of The Wyatt Family last week. A “you suck” chant starts up. Cena says time have changed but he doesn’t blame the fans for that. Cena says he’s had some good time with the fans but through it all, good or bad, he’s never abandoned any fans and always put WWE first. Cena asks why are the fans drawn to Wyatt. Cena knows there’s going to come a time when he has to step aside. Cena gives props to Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Cesaro and Daniel Bryan. Cena names Adrian Neville and Sami Zayn from NXT, saying they have heart and passion. Cena says Wyatt is dangerous. Cena goes on but is interrupted by The Wyatt flash on the screen. The lights go down. A little child starts singing “the whole world in his hands” and the crowd sings along.
The lights come on and it’s not just one kid. It’s an entire kids choir on the stage, singing the song. They’re all dressed in black robes. Bray finally appears with Erick Rowan and Luke Harper. Bray sings along and the kids follow him to the cage. They change it to “the whole Cenation in his hands.” The kids surround the cage and they’re all wearing sheep masks. Bray laughs from his rocking chair, with one of the kids on his knee. We go to commercial.
– We come back and see what just happened with Bray Wyatt and his choir.
WWE Tag Team Title Match: Ryback and Curtis Axel vs. WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos
We go to the ring and out comes WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos. Ryback and Curtis Axel are out next. Justin Roberts formal ring introductions before the match. Axel starts things off with Jimmy Uso. Ryback ends up tagging in with Jey Uso and they go at it. Ryback hits a scoop slam but misses a splash. Jimmy comes in for some double teaming. They toss Ryback out of the ring and drop Axel as he runs in. The Usos run the ropes and leap out onto Ryback and Axel. One of the Usos sells a leg injury as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Axel is in control of Jimmy. During the break, a trainer came out to check on Jey Uso’s leg. Axel keeps control of Jimmy in the ring now. Ryback comes in and they double team Jimmy. Jimmy fights them both off the top rope and sends them to the mat. Jey tags in and goes to the top. Jey nails a crossbody on Axel for a 2 count. Jey beats down Axel in the corner and kicks Ryback. Jey with a big Samoan Drop on Axel. Jey sells the injury now. He nails the back splash on Axel in the corner. 2 count for Uso. Ryback comes back in for some double teaming. Ryback nails a spinebuster for a close 2 count. Uso blocks a Meathook clothesline with a big superkick but Ryback kicks out at 2. Ryback nails a big clothesline. Ryback goes for Shellshocked on Uso but he slides down and rolls Ryback up for another close 2 count. Axel tags in for some double teaming but it’s blocked. Ryback gets kicked out of the ring. Axel nails a Perfect-plex but it’s on the wrong man. Jimmy nails a big Superfly splash for the win.
Winners: The Usos
– Cole mentions Extreme Rules won’t be available on DISH or DirecTV but it will be on the WWE Network. They hype Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton and we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get an Adam Rose vignette. He will debut next week.
– Cesaro is backstage with Paul Heyman. Heyman is disappointed with Rob Van Dam for speaking out against him. Heyman says he takes his clients to the top. Cesaro says that’s all he needed to hear.
– We get a look at Kane and Daniel Bryan from last week’s RAW. Still to come, Stephanie will apologize to Bryan.
– Back from the break and we get a creepy shot of Kane’s mask backstage.
Sheamus vs. Titus O’Neil
We go to the ring and out comes Sheamus. Before he can get down the ramp, Titus O’Neil attacks him from behind. Titus beats Sheamus down the ramp and tosses him into the barrier. Titus rolls Sheamus in the ring and continues the assault. The referee breaks them up and checks on Sheamus. The bell rings and Titus keeps up the attack.
Out of nowhere Sheamus connects with a big Brogue Kick for the win.
– Hugh Jackman is next. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get another Bo Dallas vignette.
– We come back to the ring and Dolph Ziggler is waiting in the ring. Dolph talks about how this is his favorite time of the year because the girls get hotter, the bikinis get tighter and the superheroes return to the big screen. Ziggler leads us to a trailer for the new X-Men movie. Ziggler introduces Wolverine himself and out comes Jackman to a big pop. We see the incident between Jackman and Ziggler from a while back. They make up and out comes Damien Sandow dressed as Magneto. He comes to the ring and they rag on him. Sandow is the ultimate geek here. Jackman asks to touch the cape and says it’s awesome. Sandow tries to use his magnetic powers. A goofy sound plays and it appears Sandow is using his powers to pull the microphone from Jackman’s hand. Jackman struggles and jabs the mic at Sandow. Jackman nails a hip toss and Ziggler hits the Zig Zag. Cole says Jackman and Ziggler just saved the WWE Universe from a villain.
– We get a video for Evolution vs. The Shield.
Jack Swagger vs. Cesaro
Back from the break and out comes Zeb Colter with Jack Swagger. Paul Heyman is out next. He does a knock knock joke and it’s “Mike… My-client ended The Streak. Heyman promises not to talk about The Streak anymore. He starts hyping up Cesaro and out comes Cesaro with his new music.
Cesaro takes control early on with gutwrench slams. Swagger goes to the floor for a break. Cesaro with a big boot through the ropes. Cesaro with a double ax handle off the apron. Swagger turns it around and brings Cesaro back in for a 2 count. Swagger sends Cesaro into the ring post and nails a big clothesline for another 2 count. Swagger keeps control and goes for another pin attempt. Cesaro turns it around and nails a suplex. Zeb grabs Cesaro’s leg, allowing Swagger to drop Cesaro. Heyman comes over and grabs Zeb’s mustache, distracting Swagger. Cesaro nails a German suplex for the win.
– Zeb has words with Cesaro after the match. Heyman and Cesaro celebrate as Zeb and Swagger look on from the ramp.
– We get a look back at earlier where Bray Wyatt brought out a choir. Renee is backstage with Cena. She asks him for comments on what happened and he’s speechless. Cena walks off and we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get another creepy look at Kane’s mask backstage in the case.
Cody Rhodes vs. Alberto Del Rio
We come back and Alberto Del Rio waits as Cody Rhodes and Goldust are making their entrance. Del Rio attacks Cody as he’s shaking hands with his brother. Del Rio keeps control and knocks Cody out of the corner. Del Rio with a suplex into a 2 count. Cody turns it around and nails a clothesline. Cody with a scoop slam and a pin attempt. Del Rio takes back control and back drops Cody for a 2 count. Del Rio with a headlock now.
Cody comes back and hits a dropkick. Cody misses a clothesline and Del Rio catches him in a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker for 2. Del Rio with a superkick and a 2 count. Del Rio with another headlock now. Cody kicks Del Rio but gets knocked out of mid-air. Del Rio with a superkick to the face. Del Rio with the cross armbreaker now. Cody taps out to end it.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio
– After the match, Goldust tries to talk to Cody but Cody shoves him away. Goldust follows Cody up the ramp as Del Rio celebrates in the ring.
– Still to come, Stephanie will apologize to Bryan. Back to commercial.
Alexander Rusev vs. Xavier Woods
Back from the break and out comes Lana to introduce Alexander Rusev. R-Truth and Xavier Woods wait at ringside. Rusev dominates the match and goes for The Accolade but before Woods taps out, Truth runs in and attacks Rusev for the disqualification.
Winner by DQ: Alexander Rusev
– After the bell, Truth keeps beating on Rusev and kicks him out of the ring. Rusev takes another kick on the apron. He comes back but Woods knocks him off the apron again. Lana calms Rusev at ringside and he stares them down as he backs up the ramp.
– Cole shows us video of Cena granting Wishes earlier today. We come back and see the 3 fans at ringside.
– Renee is backstage with Rob Van Dam. Zeb walks up and asks if he wants to join The Real Americans. RVD turns him down and says he’s just going to keep being R-V-D. Back to commercial.
Los Matadores vs. Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre
Back from the break and both teams are out. Hornswoggle and El Torito are also there and will face each other in a WeeLC Match on the Extreme Rules pre-show. Everything falls apart and Jinder Mahal gets gored on the floor. Slater actually gets the win for his team.
– After the match, Torito springboards out and takes 3MB down.
– Up next, Stephanie will apologize to Bryan. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Sheamus vs. Bray Wyatt is announced for Main Event.
– Stephanie McMahon makes her way out as we see footage from last week’s RAW. Stephanie is ready to apologize and calls out Daniel Bryan. Finally his music hits and out comes the WWE World Heavyweight Champion with Brie Bella. Bryan doesn’t look happy and is wearing a neck brace. He also doesn’t have the belts with him.
Fans chant Bryan’s name as he speaks from the stage. Bryan says he almost believed Stephanie when she said she wanted Kane to stop the attack last week. Bryan says everyone knows Stephanie is full of crap. A “yes” chant starts up. Stephanie says she’s earned that, she doesn’t blame Bryan. She needs him to understand. Stephanie says she and Triple H never wanted Bryan to be champion, that’s no secret. Bryan talks about how Brie felt when they were doing so many bad things to him. Stephanie goes on and says she’s incredible sorry for what’s happened. Bryan says the fans agree when he says she’s still full of crap. Another “yes” chant starts. Stephanie says she doesn’t know how else to prove it unless Bryan comes to the ring and looks her in the eyes so she can convince him. Bryan says he’s still going to see a liar. Bryan knows Stephanie can call Kane out to do something to him or his wife. Bryan says his head hurts badly and he can’t move his neck but he doesn’t back down for a fight. He says doctors have cleared him for Extreme Rules and he’s not giving up. Bryan promises that if Kane takes him down, he’s taking Kane down with him… straight to hell. Stephanie says she doesn’t even know where Kane is. She says his mask has been locked up in her office. Stephanie says maybe she can make it up and Brie can compete. She talks about Tamina Snuka vs. Paige at Extreme Rules. However, it will be Brie vs. Paige tonight for the title. Stephanie is fine with Bryan being at ringside. Stephanie says that match starts right now.
WWE Divas Title Match: Brie Bella vs. WWE Divas Champion Paige
Brie heads down to the ring with Bryan behind her. Stephanie exits the ring. The camera cuts backstage and we see Kane’s mask is missing from the case. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and WWE Divas Champion Paige is out. They lock up and Paige takes Brie to the mat. They trade holds and Paige jumps to her feet. Bryan is looking paranoid at ringside. Brie with a 1 count. Paige with a kick. Paige tosses Brie across the ring by her hair. Paige with stomps in the corner now. Paige with a fisherman’s suplex for a 2 count. Brie fights back but Paige shoves her into the ropes. Paige with knees to the gut on the apron. Paige screams some more and the fans pop.
Brie makes a comeback but Paige cuts her off on the top turnbuckle. Paige nails a superplex. Kane’s pyro suddenly goes off and his music hits. Bryan guards the ring and waits on Kane. Kane’s fist comes up from under the middle of the ring. He tries to pull Brie under the ring but Bryan comes in for the save. Kane shoves him off and tries to pull Brie through the hole. Kane shoves Bryan out of the ring again. Kane climbs up out of the hole in the ring and grabs Brie by her leg. Bryan grabs a wrench from under the ring and lays Kane out with it. Bryan checks on Brie and tells her to run away. Kane gets up and chokeslams Bryan. Brie comes back screaming for Bryan. Kane grabs Brie and pulls her through the hole. She kicks him in the face and runs out of the ring to check on Bryan. WWE officials are also checking on him. Kane stands back up in the ring. As officials are helping Bryan up the ramp, Kane makes the pyro explode again and starts laughing. We go to commercial.
Winner: Brie Bella by disqualification
– Back from the break and the announcers talk about what just happened. We see Bryan and Brie back in the trainer’s room. Stephanie walks in and apologizes. She asks the trainer if Bryan can compete at Extreme Rules. Bryan says he will be there and Stephanie will regret dragging his wife into this. Brie screams for Stephanie to get out and calls her a bitch. Stephanie mumbles she’s sorry and walks out with her head down.
– We get another look at Bray Wyatt’s choir from earlier. Renee is outside of Cena’s dressing room. He apologizes for ignoring her earlier. He says the children in sheep masks didn’t sit well with him. Cena says he got so caught up in Wyatt’s mind games that he went out and thought the WWE fans turned their back on him. Cena says they haven’t and he’s proud of that. Cena says the mind games stop on Sunday. He says he has special plans for Bray at Extreme Rules. Cena says Wyatt will not have the whole world in his hands, he will have Cena’s fist in his face and his foot in his ass.
WWE Intercontinental Title Tournament Final: Bad News Barrett vs. Rob Van Dam
We go to the ring and Bad News Barrett is out on his podium. Barrett has some bad news for Rob Van Dam. Barrett says RVD is no longer relevant. Barrett says he was in diapers the last time RVD had the Intercontinental Title. Barrett does the “BNB” shoulder point and we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Justin Roberts does introductions. Rob Van Dam comes out to a big pop. They lock up and break. RVD works on the arm. Barrett with right hands. RVD with an arm drag. Barrett fights out of a headlock but RVD dumps him over the top rope. RVD with a dropkick through the ropes. RVD barely connects with a moonsault from the apron. RVD brings it back in for a 2 count. Barrett sends RVD to the floor and tosses him into the barrier. Barrett mocks RVD. Barrett slams RVD face first into the announcers table and brings it back in for a 2 count. Barrett with right hands. RVD with a kick and a scissors takedown for 2. RVD with more offense in the corner now. RVD ends up connecting a huge kick to the gut. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Barrett has RVD down in a headlock. RVD makes a comeback but Barrett nails Winds of Change for a close 2 count. Barrett drops a big elbow for another pin attempt. Barrett with more offense in the corner. Barrett with a neck breaker and a knee to the spine. RVD blocks a knee and rolls Barrett up for 2. RVD with a kick to the jaw. RVD gets the crowd hype but Barrett dodges Rolling Thunder. RVD with 2 clotheslines. RVD with a big block and a kick. Cesaro comes to ringside and gets on the apron. RVD has words with him. Swagger runs down and pulls Cesaro off the apron. They go at it and Cesaro tosses Swagger over the barrier. RVD turns around and ducks the Bullhammer. RVD drops Barrett with a kick. RVD hits Rolling Thunder. RVD goes to the tip for a Five Star Frogsplash but Cesaro runs up. Cesaro slips off the apron. RVD hits the Frogplash but Barrett gets his knees up. Barrett hits the Bullhammer for the win and title shot at Extreme Rules.
Winner and New #1 Contender: Bad News Barrett
– After the match, Heyman looks on from ringside as Cesaro enters the ring and stomps away on RVD. Swagger makes the save and beats on Cesaro in the corner. Swagger nails a gutwrench powerbomb. Zeb Colter is out now. Swagger beats RVD around the ring now. RVD blocks a shot and kicks Swagger in the face. RVD with a thrust kick to send Swagger out of the ring. RVD goes to the top for the Frogsplash and nails it on Cesaro. RVD’s music hits and he heads to the back.
– The announcers hype Extreme Rules. We see footage of The Shield from Friday’s SmackDown.
– The Shield cuts a backstage promo on Evolution. We go to commercial.
Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns
Back from the break and out comes Triple H, Batista and Randy Orton to the Evolution theme. Triple H takes the mic and talks about The Shield taking out everyone on SmackDown. He admits he’s impressed. He says The Shield are starting to remind him of Evolution. Orton and Batista chime in and say The Shield will never be them. Triple H says he brought them into this world and Evolution is going to take them out of it. Triple H says The Shield will either adapt or perish at Extreme Rules. The Shield’s music hits and out they come through the crowd.
Ric Flair‘s music hits before the match starts and Flair takes his time coming down the ramp. Batista applauds Flair and The Shield looks worried. Flair greets Evolution and hugs them. Flair takes the mic and talks about all the fun he’s had in St. Louis. Flair says its great being in the ring with men that stand for what this business is all about – dominance. Flair talks about being with the Four Horsemen. Flair says he has seen everything come full circle, including greatness. Flair says he’s surrounded by Superstars who exemplify power, style and grace. Flair says but what he’s talking about is The Shield. The crowd pops. Flair shakes the hands of The Shield. Evolution looks on confused. Flair just leaves the ring.
Reigns strikes first to start the match. Orton fights back and sends Reigns to the floor. They brawl on the floor now. Orton goes for a suplex but Reigns fights it off. Reigns drops Orton on the floor with a suplex of his own. Reigns with more offense on the floor now. Orton counters and whips Reigns into the ring steps. Orton brings it back in the ring for a 2 count and keeps control of Reigns. Orton sends Reigns back to the floor and brings him in but can’t hit the draping DDT. Reigns comes back with a clothesline out of the corner. Reigns ducks a clothesline and hits a big forearm. Reigns with a clothesline and right hand in the corner.
Reigns with the big dropkick apron on Orton. Batista distracts Reigns. Triple H grabs Reigns’ leg. Rollins and Ambrose come over to brawl with Triple H and Batista. Triple H sends Ambrose flying over the announcers table. Rollins is also down. Reigns nails a Superman punch on Orton in the ring. Reigns comes out and brawls with Batista and Triple H as the bell rings. Reigns fights off Batista and Triple H. Orton runs over and Evolution beats down Reigns on the floor. Evolution beats down all of The Shield on the floor now. Ambrose takes a spinebuster on the floor from Triple H. Orton poses and the fans pop. Batista stomps on Ambrose some more. They roll The Shield into the ring for more beatdown. Ambrose stumbles to his feet, charges and Triple H clotheslines him. Triple H goes for a Pedigree on Ambrose but Rollins springboards in with a dropkick. The Shield fights back. Orton gets tossed to the floor. Batista gets kicked to the floor. Reigns spears Triple H and he sells it big time. They go for the triple powerbomb on Triple H but in comes Batista and Orton with chairs but they get knocked right back to the floor. Triple H escapes the ring and Orton and Batista join him on the ramp. The Shield stands tall in the ring with chairs. RAW goes off the air with both teams staring each other down and talking trash.
Winner: No contest
– The RAW Backstage Pass post-show opens with the panel talking about what just happened and how Ric Flair endorsed The Shield. They talk more about the big six-man match at Extreme Rules. Renee is backstage with Flair. He tells her not to read too much into his endorsement. He says to be the man, you gotta beat the man and right now the man is Evolution. We go back to the panel.
– The panel talks about what happened with Kane, Daniel Bryan, Brie Bella and Stephanie McMahon tonight. We get more replays from RAW. The panel talks about Bray Wyatt’s choir. They announce RVD vs. Cesaro vs. Swagger for the pay-per-view and that’s it for the post-show.