WWE Monday Night RAW
Location: San Antonio, TX
Date: January 4, 2016
The first WWE RAW of 2016 kicks off with a look back at last week’s show and Vince McMahon’s arrest.
– We’re live from San Antonio, Texas as Michael Cole welcomes us. He’s joined by JBL and Byron Saxton. Stephanie McMahon‘s music hits and out she comes. Before she can make it half way down the ramp, Roman Reigns‘ music interrupts and out comes the WWE World Heavyweight Champion through the crowd. Stephanie isn’t happy. She marches to ringside to wait on Reigns.
Reigns walks right past Stephanie and enters the ring. She follows and stares him down. Reigns doesn’t think we need Stephanie out here and fans pop. Reigns says it’s not about Stephanie tonight, it’s about her dad. He calls Vince McMahon to the ring so they can talk face to face. Stephanie says Reigns is going to have to get used to disappointment tonight. She says Vince isn’t here yet but he will be here in time for the main event. She says the odds aren’t in Reigns’ favor tonight. He says the title is his life and if he loses it, he doesn’t have a job anymore and can’t provide for his family. Reigns says the title is his life and his family, and no one is going to take it from him. Stephanie mocks Reigns and insults the fans. She says nobody competes with Vince and wins in the end. Stephanie says all charges against Vince have been dropped and says you can’t keep a good billionaire down. Stephanie reminds Reigns that she’s the boss and he’s the help. She’s not going to fire him tonight when he loses the title and never gets another title shot, she’s going to use him and make him wrestle every night until his body breaks down and he can’t go any longer. Stephanie says then, the fans will forget about him and move on to cheer the next arrogant Superstar. Reigns says if anyone screws him tonight, she won’t be picking Vince up from jail, she’ll be picking him up from the hospital… believe that. Reigns drops the mic and walks out of the ring to a pop.
– Cole leads us to a look at Kevin Owens and Dean Ambrose from last week. The WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose makes his way out for commentary and greets Reigns on the ramp. We go to commercial.
Kevin Owens vs. Neville
Back from the break and both men are out. Neville’s ribs are taped up. Neville strikes first and sends Owens to the barrier. Neville is on fire as he launches himself into Owens and the barrier. He brings it back in the ring and nails a missile dropkick. Owens stumbles back to the floor and Neville goes to the top for a huge move to the floor.
Neville brings it back in and goes to the top but Owens rushes. Owens finally gets a kick and an elbow in. Owens ends up turning it around and taking control as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Neville makes it back in at the 9 count. They go back to the floor and Owens sends him into the barrier. Owens mouths off to Ambrose on commentary. Neville counters a move and rams Owens into the ring post. Neville with a kick to the head from the apron. Neville nails a 450 from the apron. Neville brings it back in and takes Owens to the top. Owens turns it around and ends up hitting the corner cannonball and a pop-up powerbomb for the win.
Winner: Kevin Owens
– After the match, Owens mouths off to Ambrose again and stomps on Neville on his way out. Ambrose dives out of the ring and nails Owens. They fight on the floor and Ambrose puts Owens on top of the announce table. Ambrose jumps from the barrier and puts Owens through the announce table with an elbow. Ambrose tells Owens if he wants a title shot, he knows where to find him. Ambrose raises the title and poses with fans as his music hits.
– We see a limousine pull up in the back and out steps Vince McMahon. JoJo approaches him and says he still hasn’t made comments about the arrest last week. Vince cuts her off and says it’s a new year but he was arrested last week and all charges were dropped because he has money. Vince says as special referee tonight, he is the law. Vince smiles and walks off. We go to commercial.
Stardust vs. Titus O’Neil
Back from the break and both Superstars are out. Stardust takes control early on and hits a Disaster Kick. Stardust keeps Titus grounded now.
Stardust with boots and strikes in the corner. Stardust with another headlock. Fans chant “Cody” and it frustrates Stardust. He misses a move and Titus hits a clothesline. Titus takes a kick but hits a big boot. Titus rallies the crowd and gets the win with Clash of the Titus.
Winner: Titus O’Neil
– The announcers plug the WWE Network.
– Becky Lynch is backstage warming up when Charlotte walks up. She asks if Becky requested their match tonight. Becky says she didn’t and asks Charlotte if she’s excited. Charlotte says she’s not because she already beat Becky on RAW. They’re both down for a friendly rematch when Ric Flair appears and heads off with Charlotte. Back to commercial.
WWE Divas champion Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch in a non-title match
Back from the break and out comes WWE Divas Champion Charlotte with Ric Flair. Becky Lynch is out next for this non-title match.
The bell rings and they lock up. Charlotte takes it to the corner and gets in a quick shot. They lock up again and break. Becky with arm drags as Flair looks on. They run the ropes, more back and forth. Becky kicks the Figure Four off and they go to lock up again after Flair struts. They trade more pin attempts and holds. Charlotte mounts Becky with forearms. Charlotte with two neckbreakers as she’s taken control. Charlotte drops knees as Flair looks on. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Charlotte is still in control. Charlotte slams Becky by her hair and covers for 2. Charlotte with a head scissors now. Charlotte uses the scissors to slam Becky into the mat. Charlotte keeps control and nails another clothesline for a 2 count. Charlotte with a big suplex as Flair whooo’s at Becky. Charlotte takes Becky to the top but Becky kicks her away. Charlotte catches her but Becky turns it into a sleeper hold.
Becky finally makes a comeback and unloads. Becky nails a dropkick. Charlotte catches a kick in the corner and drops her on her face for a 2 count. Charlotte with chops. Becky fires back with forearms. Becky with an exploder suplex out of the corner for a 2 count. Becky drops a leg. Flair grabs her leg. This leads to Becky getting the win with a roll up.
Winner: Becky Lynch
– After the match, Charlotte attacks Becky from behind and beats her up. Charlotte hits a spear. Flair comes in the ring and talks trash to Becky as fans boo. Flair raises Charlotte’s arm as fans boo some more. Her music hits as they leave Becky laying.
– Vince McMahon is backstage telling a guy to just do his job. Sheamus walks in and greets Vince. They both look at the guy and he leaves the room. Vince wants to go over some pre-fight instructions with Sheamus to maintain integrity. No outside interference, no low blows, all the usual. Above all, Sheamus will obey Vince’s commands. Vince says may the luck of the Irish be with Sheamus and he leaves. Back to commercial.
Ryback unloads to start the match and looks to finish Show but he grabs him for a chokeslam. The lights go out and The Wyatt Family appears at ringside surrounding Ryback. They destroy Ryback and leave him laying as Big Show looks on from the ring. They turn their attention on Show and surround the ring on the apron. Show fights them off and comes face to face with Braun Strowman. Bray Wyatt attacks from behind, taking Show’s leg out. Erick Rowan and Luke Harper join in and they beat Show down. Wyatt yells about the Royal Rumble match and says everyone else will fall down. The Wyatts pose at ringside and we cut to commercial.
Result: No contest
Rusev and WWE United States champion Alberto Del Rio vs. The Usos
Back from the break and out comes Rusev with WWE United States Champion Alberto Del Rio. No Lana. The Usos are out next. Del Rio starts off with Jimmy Uso.
Back and forth until Del Rio takes control. Rusev tags in next and stomps away in the corner. Fans chant for Lana and Rusev doesn’t like it. Uso fights back and makes a tag to Jey Uso. Rusev blocks a double team but they come back and slam him on his face. Rusev turns it back around and in comes Del Rio. Del Rio with a kick and a dropkick for a 2 count. Rusev comes back in and Jimmy turns it around on him. Jey tags in and comes off the top. Del Rio gets involved but gets kicked. Uso climbs to the top but Rusev runs up and throws him to the mat. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Del Rio takes control of Jey Uso and drops him with a DDT for a 2 count. Rusev comes back in for more of the same. Jey finally hits a Samoan Drop. Del Rio ends up coming back in. He sets Uso up for the cross armbreaker but Jimmy counters. Del Rio misses a kick and Uso hits an enzuigiri. Uso goes to the top but Del Rio cuts him off. Del Rio turns him upside down and climbs to the top for the stomp. It’s blocked. Uso with a superkick. Jey tags in with the big splash for a close 2 count as Rusev breaks the pin. Rusev gets sent to the floor. Uso goes to splash out after him but he lands on a superkick. The other Uso leaps out and nails Rusev. Uso comes back in and Del Rio nails the running enzuigiri. Del Rio sends Uso into the ring post. Del Rio hits the stomp while Uso is laying on the second rope for the win.
Winners: Rusev and Alberto Del Rio
– Still to come, tonight’s main event with Vince as special referee. Back to commercial.
They wrestle a good back and forth match. Slater gets the win with a roll-up after interference from Adam Rose and Bo Dallas.
Winner: Heath Slater
– After the match, Slater celebrates at ringside with Curtis Axel, Rose and Bo. Slater takes the mic and says he found some friends. Rose says they’re four unique guys that are ready to ride, ready to ride, ready to ride… Axel takes the mic and says he was lost but now he’s found. Axel says the chains are off. He yells it over and over. Bo says they are all standing together after getting knocked down. Slater calls them the Social Outcasts and drops the mic. Bo picks it back up and says to Bo-lieve. They tell Bo to come on and pose together as Slater’s music hits.
– We see WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day backstage with shenanigans. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Vince approaches Reigns backstage, to go over the rules like he did with Sheamus earlier. Vince walks off smiling.
– We go to the ring and out comes WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day. They cut promos and mock Mike Tyson for falling on his hoverboard over the holidays. They put a countdown on the big screen for a gift they have everyone but it’s taken over at the 5 count and apparently hijacked by… Chris Jericho, who comes out to a huge pop.
Jericho speaks from the stage and gets the crowd hype. He says he’s returned to save WWE once again. Xavier Woods mocks him and says The New Day already saved WWE. Through the power of positivity, Kofi Kingston says. Jericho calls them unicorn horn wearing jackasses. He says their horns look really stupid. Jericho says he’s already more entertaining than the rest of RAW. He says WWE Network subscriptions, live attendance sales, TV ratings and everything else needs a boost, they need a little Y2J. The New Day disagrees. Fans chant for Jericho. They go on with mic work and Jericho announces himself for the Royal Rumble. Jericho calls The New Day trap queens and says he’s going on to main event WrestleMania 32 and win the WWE World Heavyweight Title. Jericho says now that he’s back, WWE will never, ever be the same.
WWE tag team champions The New Day vs. Kalisto and The Dudley Boyz in a 6-man tag team match
Back from a break and The New Day is dancing in the ring. Kalisto is out first for his team, followed by The Dudley Boyz. Stalling for the most part to start. Bubba Ray Dudley chops Woods until he tags Kofi in. Kalisto tags in and keeps up the attack on Kofi.
The babyfaces keep control as fans chant for tables. Woods tags in but ends up on the floor, as does Kofi and Big E. Kalisto tags in and Bubba launches him out onto The New Day. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Big E is going at it with Bubba. Woods tags in and keeps control for a 2 count. Woods takes Bubba to the mat but he fights up and out. Woods kicks the knee out and nails a big knee for another pin attempt. Kofi gets a tag but misses in the corner. Kalisto tag sin and leaps from Bubba’s shoulders on the top, to Kofi on the mat. Kalisto unloads on Kofi and rolls him up for a pin attempt. Woods hits Kalisto while Big E has the referee distracted. Big E tags in and splashes Kalisto on the apron.
They do quick tags and stomps in the corner on Kalisto now. The New Day dances and Kofi comes back in to hit a big kick on Kalisto. Kofi mounts him with right hands now. Woods comes back in and works Kalisto over for another 2 count. Woods with a headlock now. Kalisto fights up and out but Woods takes him back down. Woods tags in Kofi for some double teaming. Big E tags in next for a big splash and a close 2 count. Devon finally gets a tag and unloads on Woods. Devon with a neckbreaker. Kofi comes in but Devon nails a spinebuster. Devon goes back to work on Woods. He goes after Big E and gets rolled up for a 2 count. Bubba tags in and backdrops Woods. He drops Kofi with a boot. Big E comes in and eats right hands. Bubba pays tribute to Dusty Rhodes and drops Big E. Bubba with a Bubba Bomb on Woods for a 2 count. Kalisto takes out Big E and dives to the floor on him. Big E catches him and rams Kalisto into the barrier. Kofi and Bubba are legal in the ring now. The Dudleyz go for the big headbutt on Kofi but Woods pushes Devon off. Bubba chases him away. Big E tags in and double teams Devon with Kofi for the win.
Winners: The New Day
– After the match, The New Day retreats to the ramp while Kalisto is still down on the floor.
– Still to come, Vince McMahon special referees the main event. Back to commercial.
– We get a video showing the events that led up to tonight’s main event.
WWE world heavyweight title match: Sheamus vs. WWE world heavyweight champion Roman Reigns
Special referee: Vince McMahon
We go to the ring and out comes special referee Vince McMahon. Vince shows off his muscles before heading to the ring. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Vince is still flexing. Out first comes Sheamus, who is real chummy with Vince. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns is out next to a pop through the crowd. We get formal ring introductions from Lilian Garcia.
Vince has to jerk the title from Reigns’ hands and this allows Sheamus to strike first. Sheamus with a few early pin attempts and Vince is counting pretty quickly. Sheamus takes Reigns to the corner and works him over. Reigns pulls Sheamus’ leg out and stomps away in the corner. Vince warns Reigns. Sheamus whips Reigns hard into the corner and covers for another quick 2 count. Fans chant for Reigns as he fights back with right hands. More back and forth. Reigns with clotheslines in the corner. Reigns ducks a clothesline and sends Sheamus over the top rope. They both hit the floor as Vince looks on. Reigns charges but Sheamus sends him into the steel steps. Vince turns his back and is talking to the timekeeper, allowing Sheamus to deck Reigns with the steel steps. Vince turns back around as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Sheamus is in control as Vince smiles. During the break, Sheamus slammed Reigns face first on the announce table. Sheamus with a rolling senton for a 2 count now. Reigns fights back with big right hands but Sheamus goes for a sleeper. Reigns backdrops him and breaks it.
Vince encourages Sheamus to get up. They both get up and trade big shots. Reigns with clotheslines for a big pop. Sheamus dumps him to the apron but Reigns gets the upperhand and hits the Drive By. Reigns with a Samoan Drop but Vince does a very slow 2 count and fans boo. Reigns shakes his head at Vince and isn’t happy. Sheamus comes back with a running knee. Reigns blocks White Noise. Reigns with a sit-down powerbomb but Vince is slow to get down again. Vince acts like he has something in his eye and calls for some eye drops. Reigns stares Vince down and Sheamus rolls him up for a quick 2 count. Reigns ends up hitting a Superman punch but Vince slowly drops down but doesn’t even count. Vince stands back up and Reigns turns around to face him. Reigns says he warned Vince. Reigns tells Vince to watch this as he prepares to spear Sheamus but nails Vince with a Superman punch instead. Sheamus misses the Brogue Kick and Reigns spears him. Reigns covers for the win but there is no referee.
Reigns yells for another referee to come out but no one shows up. Reigns goes out for another Drive By on Sheamus. He jumps off the steel steps with another Superman punch and then sends Sheamus over the announce table. Reigns turns his attention back to Vince and goes back in the ring as fans chant his name. Reigns grabs Vince and manhandles him but Stephanie McMahon’s music hits. She hurries to the ring and gets on the apron. Reigns throws Vince into her, they both tumble into the ring. Reigns ends up going for a spear on Vince as Stephanie watches from the floor. Sheamus stops it with a Brogue and hits another. Vince doesn’t count, apparently because he’s still dazed. Scott Armstrong runs down to count the pin but Reigns kicks out at 2. Armstrong holds Reigns while Sheamus goes to Brogue him but Reigns breaks out and hits a Superman punch on Sheamus, and then one for Armstrong. Another referee runs down and counts Reigns’ pin on Sheamus.
Winner: Roman Reigns
– After the match, Vince and Stephanie look on from ringside and aren’t happy. Vince clutches his jaw. Vince knocks out referee John Cone for making the count. Vince announces that Reigns will defend the WWE World Heavyweight Title at the Royal Rumble… inside the 30-man main event against 29 other Superstars. RAW goes off the air with Reigns looking on.