Three major Toys for Tots collections took place at wrestling events in recent weeks. United Wrestling Coalition held its annual Toys for Tots benefit show at the Pemberton, NJ campus of Burlington County College, with over 900 toys and 16 bikes collected for the Burlington County chapter of Toys for Tots.
This past weekend, the “Super Saturday” doubleheader at the Asylum (ECW) Arena took place; with Jersey All Pro Wrestling’s 13th anniversary show in the afternoon and Combat Zone Wrestling’s 11th annual Cage of Death supershow in the evening. Between 350-400 toys were collected at the Super Saturday doubleheader. Before CZW’s Cage of Death, the US Marine Honor Guard that stood at the Toys for Tots collection boxes were honored to a standing ovation from the crowd.
Much thanks go out to David Markland, Maven Bentley, and the staff of Combat Zone Wrestling; as well as Frank Iadevia and the staff of Jersey All Pro Wrestling; as well as Roger Artigiani and the staff of the Asylum Arena.
Let those on websites, message boards, or rival promotions say whatever they want about the styles of CZW and JAPW. Say whatever you want about their booking. Say whatever you want to about most anything else. But don’t ever knock them as people or doubt the sincerity and effort they put forth on this weekend. At a time when the Philadelphia economy is the worst it has been in decades, Combat Zone Wrestling and Jersey All Pro Wrestling gave and gave and gave some more to this effort. They publicized the Toys for Tots collection in every way they humanly could; and went so far as to contribute themselves. So did the management of the “world’s most famous Bingo Hall”.
Again, much, much thanks. You all gave a lot of children a Christmas they might not otherwise have had.
To the wrestling….
Combat Zone Wrestling returned to the Asylum (ECW) Arena for Cage of Death XI before a crowd that may have been the promotios’s largest ever, with the only possible exception COD 3. Maven Bentley announced during the show that CZW was told to close the doors. I did see police outside the building as the doors opened for crowd control purposes). Crowd estimates range between 1300-1500.
Here are match results for Cage of Death:
The finish sees Miyamoto nail Gage with a ladder via a baseball, hit Gage with a plancha followed by a nearfall. Miyamoto rolls Gage back into the ring for anotehr nearfall, then plows Gage again runs him over with a clothesline followed by a sitout Tombstone in the middle of the ring for one final nearfall. Miyamoto then picks up a giant ladder, sets it up in the corner and climbs the ladder that reaches nearly to the top of the arena and moonsaults off of it, landing with his knees on Gage’s head and chest and takes the pinfall.
1) Brain Damage is eliminated after Danny Havoc and Dysfunction double slam Brain Damage through a table which then goes through a portion of the cage to eliminate him.
2) Drake Younger is eliminated after Scotty Vortekz hits the Cage with a weedwacker and goes after Younger, and Younger intentionally eliminates himself to get away from Vortekz.
3) Scotty Vortekz is eliminated.when Drake Younger and MASADA give Vortekz a Russian Legsweep on the cage and throw him off the cage. Vortekz took a BAD fall on his ribs on the guardrail.
4) Devon Moore is eliminated after THURTeen hits an enziguiri to Moore to send him off the top of the cage through a table.
5) THURTeen is elimninated after Dysfunction goes to the top of the cage and superkicks Thurteen off the top of the cage.THURTeen proceeds to go through a barbed wire board placed on top of four chairs, placed in turn on top of another table.
6) Dysfunction is eliminated after MASADA throws a chair at Dysfunction’s head, which results in him hanging off the side of the Cage. MASADA takes acupuncture needles and repeatedly sticks Dysfunction’s hand..and then Dysfunction’s skull which makes him fall off the Cage through a table.
7) MASADA is eliminated as he and fights it out with MASADA and Billy Gram, finally punching MASADA off the cage through all the tables and barbed wire; leaving Devon Moore the winner and sole survivor
Post match, Moore jumps Billy Gram, press slamming him into the ring. Drake Younger storms out, and hits a Cop Killa on Devon Moore on top of the Cage, then throws him off the Cage and through a glass “table” set up on chairs. Younger starts yapping on the mike when B-Boy hits the ring, making the save. Younger takes off out of the Cage and out the front door. Moore ends the night’s fun by taking a bloodstained pane of glass, sets it up against the ropes, laid BillyGram on top of a barbed wire board, then the glass on top of that with Moore hitting a running dropkick into the glass on Gram’s face.
More Toys for Tots colecltions coming up:
Fire Pro Wrestling returns to Merrillville, IN (401 W. 82nd Place) on December 18 at the Impact Christian Church for a Toys for Tots benefit with a 7:00 pm belltime (doors open at 6:30 pm). Tickets $10 at the door or pre sale are $8. Pre-sale available at Hammond Mufflers, 6135 Kennedy Ave. Hammond, IN. A Toys for Tots collection will take place with show proceeds also going to the charity. Proceeds for the show will go to Toys for Tots.
Even Juggalo Championship Wrestling is getting into the spirit at their “Violent Night” show in Southgate, MI on December 22. Their “Super Live Toy Drive” follows the same premise as Toys for Tots. Bring your new unwrapped toy down to the show and recieve a limited edition “Holiday Heat” cd featuring the whole Psychopathic Records family putting down “new, rare, and unreleased Holiday Heat”. Appearing at the Southgate show are Insane Clown Posse, JCW Champion Corporal Robinson, 2 Tuff Tony, The Jailbird Man, The Haters, Bull Pain…and the infamous Scott Hall. For information, go to Hatchetgear.com, go to Juggalowrestling.com or call the JCW hotline at 313-483-0949
Please send me any scheduled Holiday related charity events, whether collections of canned food, Toys for Tots toy collections or other charity benefits. Anyone promoting (or who sees notices of such a show), please send them to to email@example.com so I can plug them in this column and on PWBTS.com. Until next time…
Until next time…
If you have comments/questions/event announcements/results, if you’d like to add the AS I SEE IT column to your website, or if you’d like to add advertising on PWBTS.com (the flagship website of this column), e-mail me at the address above. Advertising consists of banner ads, available for $400 for one year. These ads would appear on each newspage appearing on the newsboard. Cube ads are also available for $200 for one year, which would be placed on the main newsboard page.