Welcome to The Armpit wrestling quiz for the week of September 12, 2016.
We continue this week with “Famous Outside Interferences,” this time focusing on the ‘90s.
Congratulations to last week’s winner: Nicholas Shea.
Last week’s answers:
-After Andre the Giant defeated Hulk Hogan with the help of the twin Hebner refs, he handed it right over to Ted DiBiase. He was then stripped of it, thus vacating the title and setting up the tournament at WrestleMania 4. Storylines moved so slowly back then that this is all so fresh in everyone’s minds who was watching at the time.
-At WrestleMania 4, Randy Savage won the tournament and title. But it was with help from Hogan, who came in and nailed DiBiase with a chair to the back as he had Savage in the Million Dollar Dream sleeper hold. The ref of course did not see it. Savage then hit the elbow for the 1-2-3.
-Hogan and Savage beat Andre and DiBiase at SummerSlam ’88 when the lovely Elizabeth stripped to show her bikini bottom, thus distracting the heels and also special ref Jesse Ventura. That distraction led to the finish where the Mega Powers became victorious.
-On Christmas night in 1982, it was Freebird Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy who slammed the door on Kerry Von Erich’s head, allowing Ric Flair to pin him. The slam heard all around the world, leading to one of the hottest business runs in territorial wrestling history.
-At the end of the Great American Bash ’89, the Great Muta came down the ring as he and Terry Funk double teamed Ric Flair. Sting then made the save, leading to a hot 2-on-2 brawl to close out the show before an intense promo by Flair vowing revenge.
This week’s questions:
- We spoke of Randy Savage and Elizabeth in last week’s quiz, when she interfered at SummerSlam ’88.She also interfered after Savage lost his “retirement” match at WrestleMania 7 against the Ultimate Warrior. Savage was a heel, but “retired” as a babyface when Liz came in and the two re-united in a feel-good moment that always chokes me up when I watch it. What made Elizabeth jump to the ring after the match?
- To set up Savage’s match with Warrior at WM7, he cost Warrior the title a few months earlier at Royal Rumble ’91.In that match, Sgt Slaughter (who had turned heel as a staunch anti-American crusader at a time the US had just declared war with Iraq) won the WWF title from Warrior after Savage did what?
- Hogan regained the WWF title at WrestleMania 7, and held it until the Undertaker defeated him at Survivor Series ’91.Hogan would regain it a week later at a last-minute PPV called This Tuesday in Texas. Who interfered to help Undertaker beat Hogan, and how?
- Hogan disappeared for most of 1992, as the WWF was reeling from steroid and sexual harassment allegation scandals.He returned at WrestleMania 9, teaming with Brutus Beefcake against Ted DiBiase and Mike “IRS” Rotunda. He also won the WWF title that night, when the late Mr. Fuji challenged him to face Yokozuna immediately after Yoko had just beaten Bret Hart for the title. Hogan won in quick fashion, after Fuji interfered and did what?
- Mick Foley, as Mankind, won the WWF title from the Rock on the 1/4/1999 edition of Raw (taped a week earlier) in one of the all-time great Attitude Era moments.Unfortunately it later became more famous for the infamous line from Tony Schiavone (fed to him by Eric Bischoff), who was on WCW Nitro giving away the title result ahead of time and saying, “That’ll put asses in the seats.” The move backfired on WCW, and proved justification for a man who literally broke his bones for whichever company he worked for. Just before Mankind pinned Rock, who came to the ring to interfere and help Foley get the win?
These quizzes are just for fun, but if you’d like to play along, please email your answers to [email protected]. After a few days, we’ll declare a winner by randomly selecting a number between 1 and 300. For example, if we draw #100, the 100th person to email us will be chosen. If that person’s answers are correct, he/she wins. If not, we’ll draw another number until that person has all the correct answers. The winner will have his/her name announced here next week, along with anything he/she would like to plug/promote (assuming it’s not X-rated or illegal). It could be your blog, Twitter handle, Facebook page, or anything else you’d like us to mention. Or it could just be your name, if you simply want the recognition.
Answers will be posted next week. Have fun and good luck.